Like Tree0Likes

Best offhore hull under 100K used

Reply
Old 01-08-2009, 01:17 PM
  #11
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
32fever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Granger, IN
My Boats: 37 Outerlimits & Sweetwater 2486 Tritoon 140HP
Posts: 1,036
Default

These thread always have interesting posts, but it's usually whatever the person owns, or in Sydwayz case sells.

If you go newer, obviously you get less length. And, one thing Cig guys usually never think of (because it's usually not a focus of a Cig owner) is whether or not you need any cabin space and other factors.

There are lots of deals out there, so you have lots of options.

If ride is #1 and cabin amenities are low on the and speed is not real high, the longest Cig you can buy is a good bet.

If speed is #1 and cabin space is not an issue, Fountain is a good bet (just buy longer than you think you'd want by 3' :-)

AT's are nice, but harder to find. there's a 37'er for sale right now that is listed just under 100k.

If you want amenities and fit/finish, Formulas are very nice boats.

Each manufacturer focuses on a different niche. If you rank your priorities and what is most important, you can focus on the brands that focus on those features or aspects.

I've owned different brands and sizes, and have been happy with all. They filled the exact need and purpose I purchased them for at the time.
32fever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:17 PM
  #12
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Warren, Ohio
My Boats: Hustler 40
Posts: 32
Default The Skinny

Ive Been in and driven a lot of boats over the years and its pretty funny All of us seen to belive that the boats we own are the best there is witch I like to talk up mine as well. Best bang for the buck as far as rough water and handling to me is Baja. Any outlaw hull from 32 to 40 are wave crushers and what is great is there are tons of them out there to choose from. You can find bigger for cheeper than most. If you want to move up in performance and quality. (SORRY) Cigg Guys your beem is to narrow 8'. Formulla, Fountain and are also hot but in my opinion there is no better boat for rough water witch I have a lot of experience on (Lake Erie). I have been on 8 to 10s. and 4 to 6s many times. Hustler Powerboats. Nothing better. I will put a Hustler hull against any hull out there. 38 slingshot to 40 Fiora witch I have now. For Hull in rough water to room inside you will not find anything better. Headroom air/heat style and speed and all out wave crushing performance this 40 is awsume
amx1972 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:26 PM
  #13
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
32fever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Granger, IN
My Boats: 37 Outerlimits & Sweetwater 2486 Tritoon 140HP
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amx1972 View Post
Ive Been in and driven a lot of boats over the years and its pretty funny All of us seen to belive that the boats we own are the best there is witch I like to talk up mine as well. Best bang for the buck as far as rough water and handling to me is Baja. Any outlaw hull from 32 to 40 are wave crushers and what is great is there are tons of them out there to choose from. You can find bigger for cheeper than most. If you want to move up in performance and quality. (SORRY) Cigg Guys your beem is to narrow 8'. Formulla, Fountain and are also hot but in my opinion there is no better boat for rough water witch I have a lot of experience on (Lake Erie). I have been on 8 to 10s. and 4 to 6s many times. Hustler Powerboats. Nothing better. I will put a Hustler hull against any hull out there. 38 slingshot to 40 Fiora witch I have now. For Hull in rough water to room inside you will not find anything better. Headroom air/heat style and speed and all out wave crushing performance this 40 is awsume
While I have not presonally been in either, I'd imagine a 38 slingshot and 40 Fiore handle rough water much differently. I'd guess the 40 does much better in the rough, but the slingshot is a super efficient hull at 80-90 mph.
32fever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:22 PM
  #14
Registered
 
LapseofReason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Stafford Va.
My Boats: 98 NORTECH 5000V
Posts: 2,806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddv005 View Post
Well guys i have been into boating for a long time but i am a newb to the offshore scene. Always been a fan of the cig cafe but i am open minded. Tell me what you think. Thanks
You need to pin down what you NEED in the boat, If you are a big guy or tall or boat with big tall people that need to have a stand up enclosed head and if your doing alot of overnights and want A/C need a gen. want to go 70 mph with 500 hp x 2 Look at 38-42 Sonics, 37 Active Thunder. If you don't need a gen. look at other Sonics. Those have the most head room in the cabin. There are also some very nice 38 Nortechs out there for under 100k but no room for a gen. and some don't have an enclosed head, but the cabin is huge and they are a mid to upper 80 mph boat with smaller power.

The 382 Formula is a nice boat you can get loaded but there is little head room in the cabin or head about the same as the Cigs , Foutains, and most of the others.

Tell us more of what you need and you will be able to narrow it down to a few boats. I am 6'5" and need a head and don't want to crawl into the cabin of my boat so it makes it easy for me, there's about 6 boats I would look at to buy. If you don't care about the cabin then there are endless boats to look at.
LapseofReason is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:38 PM
  #15
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Miami, Fl
My Boats: 2009 Avanti 36 CC
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LapseofReason View Post
You need to pin down what you NEED in the boat, If you are a big guy or tall or boat with big tall people that need to have a stand up enclosed head and if your doing alot of overnights and want A/C need a gen. want to go 70 mph with 500 hp x 2 Look at 38-42 Sonics, 37 Active Thunder. If you don't need a gen. look at other Sonics. Those have the most head room in the cabin. There are also some very nice 38 Nortechs out there for under 100k but no room for a gen. and some don't have an enclosed head, but the cabin is huge and they are a mid to upper 80 mph boat with smaller power.

The 382 Formula is a nice boat you can get loaded but there is little head room in the cabin or head about the same as the Cigs , Foutains, and most of the others.

Tell us more of what you need and you will be able to narrow it down to a few boats. I am 6'5" and need a head and don't want to crawl into the cabin of my boat so it makes it easy for me, there's about 6 boats I would look at to buy. If you don't care about the cabin then there are endless boats to look at.

I am 5-10 so that is not a concern. I would have to say that THE MOST important thing to me is Best Riding hull in Big Seas Period. All other things i can deal with. A little slower, faster, head, cabin, etc... all of those are secondary. I can always work on the engines, etc and make the boat go faster. I don't plan on doing ANY overnighting in the boat. So in order of priority:

1- Handles rough water best

2- Speed in Rough water
ddv005 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:36 PM
  #16
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Hollowpoint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Va Beach, VA
My Boats: 1988 Cigarette Bullet
Posts: 708
Default

ddv005,

Let me clarify. I have no problem running my 31' boat with 35-38 foot boats in the medium to rough seas. A poker run last year that had an offshore leg in 4-6' seas had over 60 boats run. For the offshore leg, I was 10th to 12th. Of the 10 or so in front of me, at least 5 of them were Cigs with Cigs being 1 and 2. Total Cigs entered were less than 10. They pretty much ruled. This was at the mouth of the Chesapeake bay into the ocean. These are not nice long swells that are easy to read. This was a close, snotty mess. Pretty much all boats were getting major air.

So don't let the 31' size of a Bullet deter you from a seaworthiness concern, they can take it!

But like others have stated above, your personal needs may sway you to one particular brand that covers all your bases, because each brand has it's strong suits.

The main drawback to ANY Cig will be lack of headroom. I'm lucky if I have 5' in mine. However, I think the earlier cabins are as good as any Fountain, Formula, Baja, AT, or Donzi. Only the newer TS boats with half cabins and no separate head take a back seat to other boats.

So, if you say number 1 is rough water ability, I again point to Cig, with a couple of others like Apache.
(BTW, my avatar was from that run, and I had the drives and tabs up to show off some air time for the helo)
Hollowpoint is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:54 PM
  #17
Registered
 
LapseofReason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Stafford Va.
My Boats: 98 NORTECH 5000V
Posts: 2,806
Default

Top Gun
LapseofReason is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:12 PM
  #18
Registered
 
OL40SVX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Bristol, RI
My Boats: Outerlimits
Posts: 7,222
Default

Cigarette!!
OL40SVX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:25 PM
  #19
Steve_H
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

If rough water ride is your main concern, look for a 41 Apache.
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:46 PM
  #20
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Miami, Fl
My Boats: 2009 Avanti 36 CC
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_H View Post
If rough water ride is your main concern, look for a 41 Apache.
Out of my price range
ddv005 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
jryan26
Fountain
21
07-21-2008 09:44 PM
Waterboy123
General Boating Discussion
24
08-18-2006 10:44 AM
blownincome
General Boating Discussion
7
06-23-2006 07:26 AM
HiPerf2000
General Boating Discussion
44
01-04-2005 07:51 PM
CIG3
General Boating Discussion
0
05-28-2003 09:26 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.