Notices

OT Car question

Old 03-14-2002, 07:05 PM
NVRENOUGH

Default OT Car question

I currently have a 2001 bmw 330xi, nice car but I am 6'5 and I want something that can pull my boat. so I went down to my local chevy dealer because I love the tahoe, test drove it and loved it. now when it comes time to do the deal, the dealer says he'll give me 32 for my car. the blue book is 37 and it was 44 last may. what's the deal, is he being fair or trying to shaft me. He said that the deal was firm and that there was no way he can budge on the amount for my car.

Thanks in advance
Jason

Old 03-14-2002, 07:27 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, the dealer is trying to make a profit on both ends of this deal. You are almost always better off selling your vehicle outright than letting a dealer take it off your hands. Second, do a search on BMW 33xi. THere is a board member who is contemplating buying one for his SO, maybe you can help each other out. The blue book value you are quoting - what is it, average wholesale or average retail?
Old 03-14-2002, 07:32 PM
Registered

Thumbs down

The dealer is screwing you. Sell it yourself or don't talk trade in until you get the new purchase hammered out. They will always give you nothing for your trade so if you can, buy the truck and sell the bemmer on your own. Everyone wants to get rich on one deal.
Old 03-14-2002, 07:39 PM
Registered

HEY, I SOLD CARS FOR A MAJOR DEALERSHIP FOR ABOUT A YEAR. THAT WAS ONE OF THE REASONS I LEFT. IT WAS GETTING VERY HARD TO PLEASE THE CUSTUMER. THE FIRST THING THE DEALER WANTS TO DO IS SLOW YOU DOWN. IF THEY SLOW YOU DOWN, THEY HAVE CONTROL. WHEN THEY HAVE CONTROL," THEY WIN"!! IF YOU THINK YOU ARE NOT GETTING A FAIR DEAL TAKE A DAY AND GO SHOPPING. IT MIGHT BE WORTH YOUR TIME. IF YOUR CAR BOOKS FOR THAT MUCH AND IS IN GOOD SHAPE AND THE MILES ARE GOOD, IT MIGHT BE WORTH YOUR TIME TO GO SHOPPING. EVEN IF ANOTHER DEALERSHIP GIVES YOU A PRICE THAT IS IN THE MIDDLE OF WHAT IT BOOKS FOR AND WHAT HE WAS GOING TO GIVE YOU, YOU ARE AHEAD ALREADY. NOW YOU MIGHT BE IN A POSITION TO BARGIN. NEVER SETTLE UNLESS YOU ARE HAPPY!!! THATS THE MAIN THING. FEEL GOOD ABOUT YOUR PURCHASE . YOUR THE ONE THAT HAS TO MAKE THE PAYMENT... HOPE IT HELPS P.S. I HEAR THE TAHOE PULLS BOATS GREAT.
Old 03-14-2002, 07:52 PM
NVRENOUGH

Thanks for the reponse guys, when I entered my car into kelly blue book, that was the trade in value. my car is in need of a detailing, It's hard to to keep clean in the winter, but after that it is in showroom condition, with 12000 miles. I wasn`t looking to make any money, just get fair value for the car.

Jason

Old 03-14-2002, 10:22 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

look into teh tax advantage of eth trade in when you trade your old car in you only pay tax on the difference in purchase price minus trade in value. Here in NY were tax is %8 1/2 it can make a difference.
Old 03-14-2002, 11:20 PM
Luxy60

I just went through a similar situation when I traded my 2000 Camaro ss for a new Tahoe. Couple things to remember. You'll almost NEVER get bluebook from a dealer or when you sell out right. Check the local papers, wantads, etc. for what your type of car is typically selling for. This will give you an idea of the value of the car in your area (wholesale will be $3 - 5K below that). Used cars prices are undervalued right now because new cars incentives are so good. There's lots of used cars on the market. I tried to sell my car for over a year before I made the deal to trade. With the current rebates, financing, and reduced sales tax (MA is 5%) the deal was decent. It wasn't worth holding on to the car to try and get a few more $$ through a private sale. If you can sell it, do it, it gives you the best leverage going in. Otherwise get several trade-in estimates for reference and if it's an acceptable deal to you, go for it.
The Tahoe is a great truck. Haven't pulled the boat yet just waiting for the weather to warm and the ice to clear!

Old 03-15-2002, 10:32 AM
Charter Member #943

NVRENOUGH,
Wow I feel for you man. Luxy60 is right on, the used car market is flooded right now. Here is why, would you by a used Bemer today at say 8 0r 9 % interest with short term financing, this is what most Finance companies are offering today on used cars, when you can buy a new Bemer at 4% for a longer term and get all types of incentives like rebates. This has put a flood of used cars on the market. Here are some of my suggestions. First, if you have a Carmax in your area see what they will offer you outright, it is always better to buy new without a trade, what they offer you will be pretty close to what you should expect to get for your 330xi and give you a good idea as to how close the dealer was on your trade offer. If you do not have a Carmax in your area go to Trader online and search for your specific year, model and look at the average listing price, this will give you at least a starting point figure. One you have an idea of the value of your Bemer you can at least know what you’re getting yourself into or out of. Bottom line is not is not a good time to be making a move. Hold off if you can, if not be prepared to get less then you would like that’s just a fact of the current market conditions. N.A.D.A and Kelly Blue Book values are based on, or set by, current auction prices, which are low at this point because of the supply and demand factor. There are lots of used cars on the market these days. I just went through this process three times within the last 6 months so I am speaking from experience. Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-15-2002, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wanted to trade-in my Porsche on my Z06 and was shocked at the price they offered me. I sold it myself. Noted it was a pain in the a__ to deal with the tire kickers, but it was well worth the effort. I pocketed $13,000. MORE than they offered me for a trade-in!!
Old 03-15-2002, 03:34 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Dueclaws
I wanted to trade-in my Porsche on my Z06 and was shocked at the price they offered me. I sold it myself. Noted it was a pain in the a__ to deal with the tire kickers, but it was well worth the effort. I pocketed $13,000. MORE than they offered me for a trade-in!!
WOW Due'. Life must be rough.

J/K Nice toys!!!

Quick Reply: OT Car question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.