Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boating Around Chattanooga Tn (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/202115-boating-around-chattanooga-tn.html)

getchasum111 01-25-2009 10:57 AM

Boating Around Chattanooga Tn

Looks like i am going to be moving to Chattanooga Tn....What is the boating like there...rivers and lakes....anyone have any first hand experience about living in the area....it's not set in stone yet but it looks like a good fit for me and the family....thanks...

F1-00 Racing 01-25-2009 11:54 AM

beautiful area, we have raced there the past couple of years and have only heard the pleasure boating is spectaular on Chickamauga lake. Have a few friends that live there and say it is good and bad, no different than anyplace else, great downtown area for restaurants, which are quite tasty also Atlanta is approx an hour south if you want to play in the big city

A good reference point would be OSO screen name "Pops" who can be reached thru www.starsrecue.com and I might be wrong but a life long resident of the area and he can give you the lowdown. Good luck to you!

gnorthga 01-25-2009 04:00 PM

Lots of power boats, miles and miles of rivers, :drink:

getchasum111 01-26-2009 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by gnorthga (Post 2785763)
Lots of power boats, miles and miles of rivers, :drink:

are there many performance boats or just a bunch of cruisers going up and down the river....thanks

johnlomant 01-26-2009 07:21 AM

Both, There are a lot of powerboats south of their 40 minutes at lake allatoona in GA. The Atlanta powerboat club goes to the river twice a year its fun to run on the river but it is dead flat.

TCBoss302 01-26-2009 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by getchasum111 (Post 2786083)
are there many performance boats or just a bunch of cruisers going up and down the river....thanks

getchasum,

We moved here to Chattanooga about 10 years ago from the KY Lake area and we really like it. There is plenty of water with Chickamauga Lake and the TN River that runs thru it. There are 4 main marina's at the Chattanooga end of the lake. There are a lot of cruisers, but really just a hand full of go-fasts.......maybe 15 or so. Some of us get together most every weekend, but normally no big raft offs like you see at other lakes as there's not really an official party area. Depending on where you do your boating now, the one negative is heavy water traffic......cruisers and jet ski's everywhere. It got even worse the last 2 years because half of Atlanta moved their boats up here because of the drought. Last summer, there was not a wet or dry slip available on the lake. You really have to be on your toes. There are a few restaurants on the lake that are fun to go to, and if you want to lock thru the dam, you can go down river (about 3-4 miles) to the river front where you will find any kind of restaurant/bar you could want. There are a couple of little poker runs and river cruises that we do here and a few of us travel to some of the other local (within 4 hours) poker runs: Nashville-2 hrs. Knoxville-1.5 hours Ky Lake PR-4 hrs, Lake Cumberland PR-4 hrs.

What brings you to Chattanooga? Call or e-mail me and I'll give you the skinny on Chatt town. By the way, I did include my Faja as one of the go-fasts, but most of my local buds don't:ernaehrung004:

getchasum111 01-26-2009 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by TCBoss302 (Post 2786112)
getchasum,

We moved here to Chattanooga about 10 years ago from the KY Lake area and we really like it. There is plenty of water with Chickamauga Lake and the TN River that runs thru it. There are 4 main marina's at the Chattanooga end of the lake. There are a lot of cruisers, but really just a hand full of go-fasts.......maybe 15 or so. Some of us get together most every weekend, but normally no big raft offs like you see at other lakes as there's not really an official party area. Depending on where you do your boating now, the one negative is heavy water traffic......cruisers and jet ski's everywhere. It got even worse the last 2 years because half of Atlanta moved there boats up here because of the drought. Last summer, there was not a wet or dry slip available on the lake. You really have to be on your toes. There are a few restaurants on the lake that are fun to go to, and if you want to lock thru the dam, you can go down river (about 3-4 miles) to the river front where you will find any kind of restaurant/bar you could want. There are a couple of little poker runs and river cruises that we do here and a few of us travel to some of the other local (within 4 hours) poker runs: Nashville-2 hrs. Knoxville-1.5 hours Ky Lake PR-4 hrs, Lake Cumberland PR-4 hrs.

What brings you to Chattanooga? Call or e-mail me and I'll give you the skinny on Chatt town. By the way, I did include my Faja as one of the go-fasts, but most of my local buds don't:ernaehrung004:

thanks TCBoss...i don't see and e-mail or phone #....can you pm me...i would love some info....

TCBoss302 01-26-2009 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by getchasum111 (Post 2786152)
thanks TCBoss...i don't see and e-mail or phone #....can you pm me...i would love some info....

Getchasum,

Here is my information. I don't think I can PM you because I didn't renew my membership.

Thomas Clark
423-400-2585
[email protected]

gnorthga 01-26-2009 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by TCBoss302 (Post 2786112)
getchasum,

We moved here to Chattanooga about 10 years ago from the KY Lake area and we really like it. There is plenty of water with Chickamauga Lake and the TN River that runs thru it. There are 4 main marina's at the Chattanooga end of the lake. There are a lot of cruisers, but really just a hand full of go-fasts.......maybe 15 or so. Some of us get together most every weekend, but normally no big raft offs like you see at other lakes as there's not really an official party area. Depending on where you do your boating now, the one negative is heavy water traffic......cruisers and jet ski's everywhere. It got even worse the last 2 years because half of Atlanta moved there boats up here because of the drought. Last summer, there was not a wet or dry slip available on the lake. You really have to be on your toes. There are a few restaurants on the lake that are fun to go to, and if you want to lock thru the dam, you can go down river (about 3-4 miles) to the river front where you will find any kind of restaurant/bar you could want. There are a couple of little poker runs and river cruises that we do here and a few of us travel to some of the other local (within 4 hours) poker runs: Nashville-2 hrs. Knoxville-1.5 hours Ky Lake PR-4 hrs, Lake Cumberland PR-4 hrs.

dude I love your boat

gnorthga 01-26-2009 07:17 PM

Thomas You got the nicest faja on chickamauga lake.

29scarab10 01-26-2009 07:47 PM

What can any of you from The chattonoga area tell me about Norris Lake. I saw a billboard on my way back to Nashville from chattanoga about the floating houses and it really looks like fun to a couple of us here in Nashville. Is Norris Lake a deep lake and is there any special interest points?
Thanks,
Allen

getchasum111 01-26-2009 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by 29scarab10 (Post 2786562)
What can any of you from The chattonoga area tell me about Norris Lake. I saw a billboard on my way back to Nashville from chattanoga about the floating houses and it really looks like fun to a couple of us here in Nashville. Is Norris Lake a deep lake and is there any special interest points?
Thanks,
Allen

did you buy your fointain from LCM....that pic is in front of the front door.....love those 29ers...perfect lake boat...

29scarab10 01-27-2009 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by getchasum111 (Post 2786622)
did you buy your fointain from LCM....that pic is in front of the front door.....love those 29ers...perfect lake boat...

No, I did not buy it from LCM. The guy i bought it from did. I just bought it earlier this month and have not had a chance to get better pictures. Yea the scarab was a fun boat to.
Allen

TCBoss302 01-27-2009 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by gnorthga (Post 2786535)
Thomas You got the nicest faja on chickamauga lake.

Gerald,

I disagree......I think YOU have the nicest Faja on the lake!! Oh, and definitely the fastest.

sabercat1 01-27-2009 10:00 AM

29scarab, long time looker, 1st time poster. I have a couple floating houses at Norris lake. Feel free to give me a call @ 937 441 7516. Thanks Brian

Lance Vincent 01-27-2009 10:46 AM

Also you can go up river to UT Knoxville and go to Football games by boat. Always a fun time : )

gnorthga 01-27-2009 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by TCBoss302 (Post 2786837)
Gerald,

I disagree......I think YOU have the nicest Faja on the lake!! Oh, and definitely the fastest.

What to you see it this summer taking it to fountain factory soooooon

TCBoss302 04-20-2009 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by getchasum111 (Post 2785581)
Looks like i am going to be moving to Chattanooga Tn....What is the boating like there...rivers and lakes....anyone have any first hand experience about living in the area....it's not set in stone yet but it looks like a good fit for me and the family....thanks...

Getchasum,

Did you get moved in and settled here in Chattanooga? Have you been out on the lake yet? Looks like this coming weekend will be our first time out.......80 + degrees and sunny!!!

Tempest38 04-20-2009 09:42 AM

Dad has his houseboat at Harrison Bay State Park. Nice place and I believe more reasonable than some of the other marinas.

TCBoss302 04-20-2009 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tempest38 (Post 2848148)
Dad has his houseboat at Harrison Bay State Park. Nice place and I believe more reasonable than some of the other marinas.

Harrison Bay is a state run marina/park. They are indeed cheaper than the other marinas. They also have the best gas prices on the water.

getchasum111 04-20-2009 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by TCBoss302 (Post 2848032)
Getchasum,

Did you get moved in and settled here in Chattanooga? Have you been out on the lake yet? Looks like this coming weekend will be our first time out.......80 + degrees and sunny!!!

yea i went out a few weeks ago....i'm keeping the boat at Lake Shore marina....no one told me the lake gets 18 inches deep at some spots...in the middle of the lake....i thought i was stuck there until it rained again....but i got my fat a$$ in front and we got off of it....

getchasum111 04-20-2009 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by TCBoss302 (Post 2848032)
Getchasum,

yea i am planning on getting out this weekend....i moved into Wind Stone golf area at the end of east brainerd....little farther out that i wanted to be to tow every time so hooked up at the marina.....do you live on the lake?

gnorthga 04-21-2009 04:29 AM

just broke 100 were am at

TCBoss302 04-21-2009 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by getchasum111 (Post 2848533)
yea i am planning on getting out this weekend....i moved into Wind Stone golf area at the end of east brainerd....little farther out that i wanted to be to tow every time so hooked up at the marina.....do you live on the lake?

Getchasum,

My parents live in Windstone. We live about 5 minutes from you in a golf course community called Councilfire. We looked in Windstone but decided the traffic getting out there was more than we wanted to deal with. They are in the process of making it 4 lanes all the way out to the 4-way stop though. Do you know where Councilfire is?

We keep our boat at Erwin Marine.....it's straight across the lake from Lake Shore.

So you grounded your boat??? That sucks! If you have interest, I would be glad to show you around the lake because even when the lake is at full-pool, it still has places the are only 2-3 feet deep. I can also show you a few popular coves and restaurants. Let me know.

getchasum111 04-21-2009 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by TCBoss302 (Post 2849094)
Getchasum,

My parents live in Windstone. We live about 5 minutes from you in a golf course community called Councilfire. We looked in Windstone but decided the traffic getting out there was more than we wanted to deal with. They are in the process of making it 4 lanes all the way out to the 4-way stop though. Do you know where Councilfire is?

We keep our boat at Erwin Marine.....it's straight across the lake from Lake Shore.

So you grounded your boat??? That sucks! If you have interest, I would be glad to show you around the lake because even when the lake is at full-pool, it still has places the are only 2-3 feet deep. I can also show you a few popular coves and restaurants. Let me know.

yea i need someone to show me the lake.... i was in the little maxum so i only had to fix one prop...yea the traffic does get a bit thick in the mornings leaving Windstone...i go out the back gate to avoid the school zone...but i do like it here...no i don't know where Councilfire but glad there is another golf cource close....i think i know what marina you are talking about....do you take the last exit before you cross the dam...

getchasum111 04-21-2009 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by gnorthga (Post 2848988)

hey that means you can put triple digits on your boat...congrats....thats smoking fast...

TCBoss302 04-21-2009 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by getchasum111 (Post 2849104)
yea i need someone to show me the lake.... i was in the little maxum so i only had to fix one prop...yea the traffic does get a bit thick in the mornings leaving Windstone...i go out the back gate to avoid the school zone...but i do like it here...no i don't know where Councilfire but glad there is another golf cource close....i think i know what marina you are talking about....do you take the last exit before you cross the dam...

Getchasum,

When I go to my parents, I go in the back gate of Windstone. Councilfire is about 3 miles from the back side of WS. Do you work in GA or TN? If you work in TN, you probably come right by CF. Yes, to get to our marina, you exit right before you go over the dam. Maybe this weekend we could hook-up on the water for an hour or so and I could show you around. Maybe more importantly, I can introduce you to other boaters so you always know a few people out on the water.

By the way, pay no attention to Gerald (the Faja guy that goes 10000000000000000000000000000 MPH)........he is a legend in his own mind.:p

ZXXX Donzi 04-21-2009 09:20 PM

I keep a Cruiser in Nickajack. I run around there in my Donzi. Nice stretch of water and can have dinner/drinks in downtown Nooga.

getchasum111 04-22-2009 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by TCBoss302 (Post 2849611)
Getchasum,

When I go to my parents, I go in the back gate of Windstone. Councilfire is about 3 miles from the back side of WS. Do you work in GA or TN? If you work in TN, you probably come right by CF. Yes, to get to our marina, you exit right before you go over the dam. Maybe this weekend we could hook-up on the water for an hour or so and I could show you around. Maybe more importantly, I can introduce you to other boaters so you always know a few people out on the water.

By the way, pay no attention to Gerald (the Faja guy that goes 10000000000000000000000000000 MPH)........he is a legend in his own mind.:p

yea i know where you are now....i work at the Lexus/Toyota store....i think the owner lives in your area...would love to hook up sometime....

chattviper 04-22-2009 07:28 AM

I didnt know your Hummer could pull the trailer that fast! Wow! LOL

Originally Posted by gnorthga (Post 2848988)

TCBoss302 04-22-2009 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by chattviper (Post 2849933)

Exactly!!

Have you pulled the Awesome out yet?

TCBoss302 04-22-2009 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi (Post 2849739)
I keep a Cruiser in Nickajack. I run around there in my Donzi. Nice stretch of water and can have dinner/drinks in downtown Nooga.

That is a great area. We do the Color Cruise every year from the dam up to Nickajack.

chattviper 04-22-2009 09:17 AM

Just changed all her fluids and she is getting wet this weekend! Will you be out?

Originally Posted by TCBoss302 (Post 2849952)
Exactly!!

Have you pulled the Awesome out yet?

TCBoss302 04-22-2009 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by chattviper (Post 2850008)
Just changed all her fluids and she is getting wet this weekend! Will you be out?

Indeed! I plan on cleaning it up Friday afternoon and be out Sat. and Sun. See ya on the water!

chattviper 04-22-2009 03:54 PM

I know the cat is fun but wait till you see what i've done with the baby cat (pontoon) LOL :)

Originally Posted by TCBoss302 (Post 2850250)
Indeed! I plan on cleaning it up Friday afternoon and be out Sat. and Sun. See ya on the water!

TCBoss302 04-22-2009 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by chattviper (Post 2850362)
I know the cat is fun but wait till you see what i've done with the baby cat (pontoon) LOL :)

I think I already know and if I'm correct, I can't wait to see the new addition in action!!:ernaehrung004:

gnorthga 04-23-2009 03:08 PM

Hum!

gnorthga 04-23-2009 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by getchasum111 (Post 2849106)
hey that means you can put triple digits on your boat...congrats....thats smoking fast...

Thanks, hope I get to drive it one day

gnorthga 04-23-2009 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by TCBoss302 (Post 2849611)
Getchasum,

Watch Thomas he makes strong drinks and his boats sounds great. His wife is the best thing about him:rolleyes:

gnorthga 04-23-2009 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by chattviper (Post 2849933)

damit man you busted me!:eek: