Like Tree0Likes

adding Procharger to stock 502?

Old 02-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: boatless
Default adding Procharger to stock 502?

I'm asking this question for the buyer of my 91 27' Fountain. a couple issues have been pointed out and I wanted to get the power of OSO members involved. He was told that a couple concerns and the first being that the heads don't have enough head bolts and that this is proned to blowing head gaskets? and the next is that the crank should be steel and not cast?

In my uneducated perspective I can see that these could be true as a week link from too much boost. Can these limits be identified or should improvements just be made as part of the prochagers installation?

Any other tips, big and small are appreciated. thanks in advance.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:33 PM
scarab
Gold Member

My Boats: was 29 scarab now 34 superboat

A stock 502 should hold up if he only goes up to a 5 psi boost any more and I would say he will have trouble I have a bunch of friends that have 5 psi super chargers on there boats and have had 200 trouble free hours on them I'm doing a set on my scarab right now have not run them yet mark at precision marine is starting on the second one next week If he does do the pro chargers I would say he should have the motors pulled and sent to a good engine builder and have them installed and dyno tuned thats the right way to do it I had a marine center tell me they could do it and all they did was f**k it up
Old 02-02-2009, 06:03 PM

My Boats: Don't even mention the word boat

We never had good experience with pro chargers in boats, great in cars.

a 1991 502 carb is probably only putting out 400 hp at most, I would suggest pulling it and send it to a professional builder. For what the procharger / Installation and 93 oct fuel will end up costing, probably beyyer off just building the motor up.

Good builder will get that 502 up to a "reliable" 500hp on 87 oct.

WILL
Old 02-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Great advice.
I belive he plans to be conservative with the boost. Is the possibility of adding head bolts a real option? If creating more then 5 lbs what will be the first to break?
How do you feel about the stock exhaust? Will this be able to breath with minimal boost?
Old 02-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Registered

My Boats: Eclipse 233 sbc 383 dry piped

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJA WILL View Post

a 1991 502 carb is probably only putting out 400 hp at most, I would suggest pulling it and send it to a professional builder. For what the procharger / Installation and 93 oct fuel will end up costing, probably beyyer off just building the motor up.

WILL
Agree with Baja Will. I had prochargers on my last boat. $$$ will be better spent on good engine parts.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJA WILL View Post

WILL
what are the bad experiences?
Old 02-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Marine View Post
I have a nice M-1 with intercooler set up for the 502 EFI if you are interested.

The engine will be fine with the proper set up and low boost.
new or used?
Old 02-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Registered

Default uuuhhh noooo thanks............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ona-Mission View Post
I'm asking this question for the buyer of my 91 27' Fountain. a couple issues have been pointed out and I wanted to get the power of OSO members involved. He was told that a couple concerns and the first being that the heads don't have enough head bolts and that this is proned to blowing head gaskets? and the next is that the crank should be steel and not cast?

In my uneducated perspective I can see that these could be true as a week link from too much boost. Can these limits be identified or should improvements just be made as part of the prochagers installation?

Any other tips, big and small are appreciated. thanks in advance.

Unless the guy selling the fountain can show receipts hes been inside the engine and replaced cast parts, did the exhaust seats etc., upgraded injectors, remapped ECU & there's a good manifold or better yet tube exhaust system ....... tell him to stay away from from it.

All the "bolt on blower" stories pretty much end the same and usually within about 20 hours of the beginning of the story. (doesnt matter the brand and Im not knocking the procharger its a nice unit)
Im stating emphatically NOT to" bolt on" any blower without a long list of upgrades.

I learned all this the expensive way.

"Uncle Dave"
Old 02-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1997 Fountain 24 CS, 2002 31 Fiesta Vee, 2005 Xtreme Cooler ATC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
Unless the guy selling the fountain can show receipts hes been inside the engine and replaced cast parts, did the exhaust seats etc., upgraded injectors, remapped ECU & there's a good manifold or better yet tube exhaust system ....... tell him to stay away from from it.

All the "bolt on blower" stories pretty much end the same and usually within about 20 hours of the beginning of the story. (doesnt matter the brand and Im not knocking the procharger its a nice unit)
Im stating emphatically NOT to" bolt on" any blower without a long list of upgrades.

I learned all this the expensive way.

"Uncle Dave"
I agree. If you want to run a Procharger you should at the very min. have your motor spec'd to a 500 HP. Use notched pistons, Roller Valve train...etc. etc.
Attached Thumbnails
adding Procharger to stock 502?-fountain-24-cs-199.jpg   adding Procharger to stock 502?-fountain-24-cs-200.jpg  
Old 02-02-2009, 11:14 PM

My Boats: Don't even mention the word boat

Our problems were basically trying to fix, what other people think is just a "Bolt on Application" fue/air mixture, fuel pressure, its just more than "bolt on". Oh and yes within one or two seasons, motors trashes. Now these were all stock, black motors.

Your asking a 18 yr motor to put out HP it was never designed to do. I am being straight up with you, even if you do a professional job, its going to break. Each their own, but you will wish you had just build up the motor.

WILL