Like Tree0Likes

adding Procharger to stock 502?

Reply
Old 02-02-2009, 11:18 AM
  #1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
Ona-Mission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl.
My Boats: boatless
Posts: 739
Default adding Procharger to stock 502?

I'm asking this question for the buyer of my 91 27' Fountain. a couple issues have been pointed out and I wanted to get the power of OSO members involved. He was told that a couple concerns and the first being that the heads don't have enough head bolts and that this is proned to blowing head gaskets? and the next is that the crank should be steel and not cast?

In my uneducated perspective I can see that these could be true as a week link from too much boost. Can these limits be identified or should improvements just be made as part of the prochagers installation?

Any other tips, big and small are appreciated. thanks in advance.
Ona-Mission is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:33 PM
  #2
scarab
Gold Member
 
trc2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Easton Maryland
My Boats: was 29 scarab now 34 superboat
Posts: 314
Default

A stock 502 should hold up if he only goes up to a 5 psi boost any more and I would say he will have trouble I have a bunch of friends that have 5 psi super chargers on there boats and have had 200 trouble free hours on them I'm doing a set on my scarab right now have not run them yet mark at precision marine is starting on the second one next week If he does do the pro chargers I would say he should have the motors pulled and sent to a good engine builder and have them installed and dyno tuned thats the right way to do it I had a marine center tell me they could do it and all they did was f**k it up
trc2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:03 PM
  #3
Registered User
 
BAJA WILL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Tampa, Indian Shores Beach
My Boats: Don't even mention the word boat
Posts: 3,300
Default

We never had good experience with pro chargers in boats, great in cars.

a 1991 502 carb is probably only putting out 400 hp at most, I would suggest pulling it and send it to a professional builder. For what the procharger / Installation and 93 oct fuel will end up costing, probably beyyer off just building the motor up.

Good builder will get that 502 up to a "reliable" 500hp on 87 oct.

WILL
BAJA WILL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:27 PM
  #4
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
Ona-Mission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl.
My Boats: boatless
Posts: 739
Default

Great advice.
I belive he plans to be conservative with the boost. Is the possibility of adding head bolts a real option? If creating more then 5 lbs what will be the first to break?
How do you feel about the stock exhaust? Will this be able to breath with minimal boost?
Ona-Mission is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:32 PM
  #5
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Essex Junction, Vermont
My Boats: Eclipse 233 sbc 383 dry piped
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJA WILL View Post
We never had good experience with pro chargers in boats, great in cars.

a 1991 502 carb is probably only putting out 400 hp at most, I would suggest pulling it and send it to a professional builder. For what the procharger / Installation and 93 oct fuel will end up costing, probably beyyer off just building the motor up.

Good builder will get that 502 up to a "reliable" 500hp on 87 oct.

WILL
Agree with Baja Will. I had prochargers on my last boat. $$$ will be better spent on good engine parts.
Sunshadow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:04 PM
  #6
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
Ona-Mission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl.
My Boats: boatless
Posts: 739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJA WILL View Post
We never had good experience with pro chargers in boats, great in cars.

a 1991 502 carb is probably only putting out 400 hp at most, I would suggest pulling it and send it to a professional builder. For what the procharger / Installation and 93 oct fuel will end up costing, probably beyyer off just building the motor up.

Good builder will get that 502 up to a "reliable" 500hp on 87 oct.

WILL
what are the bad experiences?
Ona-Mission is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:12 PM
  #7
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
Ona-Mission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl.
My Boats: boatless
Posts: 739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Marine View Post
I have a nice M-1 with intercooler set up for the 502 EFI if you are interested.


The engine will be fine with the proper set up and low boost.
new or used?
Ona-Mission is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:17 PM
  #8
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,791
Default uuuhhh noooo thanks............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ona-Mission View Post
I'm asking this question for the buyer of my 91 27' Fountain. a couple issues have been pointed out and I wanted to get the power of OSO members involved. He was told that a couple concerns and the first being that the heads don't have enough head bolts and that this is proned to blowing head gaskets? and the next is that the crank should be steel and not cast?

In my uneducated perspective I can see that these could be true as a week link from too much boost. Can these limits be identified or should improvements just be made as part of the prochagers installation?

Any other tips, big and small are appreciated. thanks in advance.

Unless the guy selling the fountain can show receipts hes been inside the engine and replaced cast parts, did the exhaust seats etc., upgraded injectors, remapped ECU & there's a good manifold or better yet tube exhaust system ....... tell him to stay away from from it.


All the "bolt on blower" stories pretty much end the same and usually within about 20 hours of the beginning of the story. (doesnt matter the brand and Im not knocking the procharger its a nice unit)
Im stating emphatically NOT to" bolt on" any blower without a long list of upgrades.

I learned all this the expensive way.

"Uncle Dave"
Uncle Dave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:46 PM
  #9
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member
 
Need-the-Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Watkins Glen, New York
My Boats: 1997 Fountain 24 CS, 2002 31 Fiesta Vee, 2005 Xtreme Cooler ATC
Posts: 1,442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
Unless the guy selling the fountain can show receipts hes been inside the engine and replaced cast parts, did the exhaust seats etc., upgraded injectors, remapped ECU & there's a good manifold or better yet tube exhaust system ....... tell him to stay away from from it.


All the "bolt on blower" stories pretty much end the same and usually within about 20 hours of the beginning of the story. (doesnt matter the brand and Im not knocking the procharger its a nice unit)
Im stating emphatically NOT to" bolt on" any blower without a long list of upgrades.

I learned all this the expensive way.

"Uncle Dave"
I agree. If you want to run a Procharger you should at the very min. have your motor spec'd to a 500 HP. Use notched pistons, Roller Valve train...etc. etc.
Attached Thumbnails
adding Procharger to stock 502?-fountain-24-cs-199.jpg   adding Procharger to stock 502?-fountain-24-cs-200.jpg  
Need-the-Speed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:14 PM
  #10
Registered User
 
BAJA WILL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Tampa, Indian Shores Beach
My Boats: Don't even mention the word boat
Posts: 3,300
Default

Our problems were basically trying to fix, what other people think is just a "Bolt on Application" fue/air mixture, fuel pressure, its just more than "bolt on". Oh and yes within one or two seasons, motors trashes. Now these were all stock, black motors.

Your asking a 18 yr motor to put out HP it was never designed to do. I am being straight up with you, even if you do a professional job, its going to break. Each their own, but you will wish you had just build up the motor.

WILL
BAJA WILL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
mattd7
Donzi
7
01-10-2009 05:10 PM
mattd7
Donzi
2
11-27-2008 03:34 PM
Canada Jeff
General Q & A
15
08-06-2006 11:57 AM
ls1nova
General Q & A
1
03-22-2006 07:02 PM
baronbob
General Q & A
1
07-24-2005 07:40 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.