Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ? >

Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?

Notices

Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?

Old 02-19-2009, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Strip, did you find a ladder? That is the same ladder used by Donzi, Sunsation, etc. It is usually powder coated. I'm surprised yours is rubber coated.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rcrapsey
I tried many times to get Donzi to paint my transom while it was being built , no way.
Couldn't get a reason that made sense to me. Can anyone fill me in on the reason some builders don't paint the transom?
Im having the same issue with my transom...staining and a pain to clean. Has anyone tried the vinyl wrapping process, but just on the transom. The vinyl would be easier to clean than the gel, just using soap and water to clean the back after taking the boat out of the water. Would the edge of vinyl be ripped off when crusing down the water ? dont mean to jack the thread, thought it was one in the same discussion.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Strip, did you find a ladder? That is the same ladder used by Donzi, Sunsation, etc. It is usually powder coated. I'm surprised yours is rubber coated.

customryder [Jeff]has one. trying to make a deal with him.

Does it have the same bolt pattern and is it a folding style???Powder coated or just stainless would be allot better!! than yellow stained rubber

Thanks
Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Talking

Originally Posted by daredevil
Leave the damn thing off,,,who needs a later to run WOT ?!
Naw the girls have to have it

the worst part is your drunk buddy's don't push it in far enough to click, and your dragging it,They don't even try to put it up anymore they know I'm going to go behind them and check it

Old 04-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
I would not clear the Imron. No need and without it there is no chance of it yellowing over the years if you want to keep the boat which the currently economy is forcing people to do nowdays.

You'd be suprised how close the 555U is to the white gelcoat that boat manufacturers use.
Rik,

What do you suggest as a primer for the Imron to cover Epoxy and polyester gel coat???? Also, what grit finish to prep for the primer?

Frank
Attached Thumbnails Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?-project%2520-%2520x%2520042%2520%2528large%2529.jpg  

Last edited by Panther; 04-20-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Frank I need you to come help with mine,mines been like this for atleast 2 months
Attached Thumbnails Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?-hustler-paint-job-4-09-096-large-.jpg   Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?-4-16-09-026-large-.jpg  

Old 04-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dam Rob, if you were not so far away I'd come help. Work is slow right now and I have some extra time, but Miss. is a long way from MD.

We painted the transom on the Sonic. What a huge difference in appearance and cleaning it made.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
Rik,

What do you suggest as a primer for the Imron to cover Epoxy and polyester gel coat???? Also, what grit finish to prep for the primer?

Frank
Paint is only as good as the undercoat, especially IMRON.

You will need to see if you can get IMRON in your area, in CA for example it is outlawed in my area, and then you will need an epoxy primer for the two to adhere properly - else, IMRON will chip off like any other paint. See what the DuPont rep recommends for primer between the two. Sand the transom area with 320 DA paper and then block it to 400 and paint. You'll need an accelerator for the IMRON, read the mixing amounts and use a respirator even out doors
Old 04-21-2009, 08:55 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Frank I need you to come help with mine,mines been like this for atleast 2 months
Dude, i've been bustin my azz on this project for the last two weeks!! Been working on it when I get home from work from 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm almost every night and on the weekends between family time. I hope to have it all done and painted by the end of the weekend if the weather cooperates!

Originally Posted by Rik
Paint is only as good as the undercoat, especially IMRON.

You will need to see if you can get IMRON in your area, in CA for example it is outlawed in my area, and then you will need an epoxy primer for the two to adhere properly - else, IMRON will chip off like any other paint. See what the DuPont rep recommends for primer between the two. Sand the transom area with 320 DA paper and then block it to 400 and paint. You'll need an accelerator for the IMRON, read the mixing amounts and use a respirator even out doors
Thanks Rik!!! Do you think I should prime the entire transom or the newly laminated areas? I know a lot of paints can be painted right over gelcoat but I'd like to make sure before I go to town on it!
Old 04-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMRON will attach itself to the Gelcoat so that should not worry you. Primer the area needed is what I'd do. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN, as there is probably some oil residue on the transom and Gelcoat is porous after all.

Shoot a light coat and see what happens, then another light coat and then paint as usual with IMRON. You can always wipe the wet paint off with acetone rather than letting it dry with fish eyes and sanding your butt off.

Quick Reply: Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.