Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How come people dont admit theyre in trouble and need to sell?? >

How come people dont admit theyre in trouble and need to sell??

Notices

How come people dont admit theyre in trouble and need to sell??

Old 02-17-2009, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on the circumstances, it may have been in sellers best intrest to let the bank take it, I know it sounds messed up but trust me it is becoming more of the norm. Why take it on the chin, when you can let the bank.

"If you owe the bank 100K thats your problem, if you owe the bank 10mill thats the banks problem"
Old 02-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL
Depending on the circumstances, it may have been in sellers best intrest to let the bank take it, I know it sounds messed up but trust me it is becoming more of the norm. Why take it on the chin, when you can let the bank.

"If you owe the bank 100K thats your problem, if you owe the bank 10mill thats the banks problem"
Good and bad... I know a guy who is having his boat repoed.. the problem he owes 94k on it .. It Ain't worth it... but if the bank takes it and sells it for 25k He owes the Balance... Then he has NO boat and still and huge nut to cover..

I guess it a lose-lose for everyone... We all want that "Deal" but when you are the seller I guess it depends on the situation.. If I need the cash why would I give it away.. that is the whole point of selling to "make" money...

I guess it depends on what side of the fence your on!!
Old 02-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pride, and the problem that the seller's viewpoint is slightly different than your own when he's upside down.....
Old 02-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Registered

Pride or just plain smart.
Why would anybody selling anything disclose on purpose that they "must sell?"

Not that they should be dishonest in any dealings, but to disclose that you are in a forced sale does you no favors.
And... there are people who don't actually WANT a distress sale for fear that regular maintenance was not affordable either.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by PowerplayDave
toys+loans=YOU LOSE
I agree its best not to have to borrow but if people did not our economy would tank Oh thats already happening LOL
Old 02-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Steve_H

Originally Posted by rv
I find this interesting. From a different angle of view... Why does a buyer need to know the financial aspect of the seller. Seems to me that the buyer should be concerned with the condition of the item being sold and determine a value based on that.

+1

Old 02-17-2009, 12:47 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I also agree with rv that the circumstances aren't really a factor. Some want to sell, others need to sell. A larger number of people are upside-down on loans and selling a boat for $40K when you owe $60K isn't an option....how do you get the new owner a title???? Letting the bank take it, then filing Bankrupt seems to be the most common method these days. I wonder when the banks are going to LET people short sell so that the boats stay off repo lots therefore bringing a little more than they would there???
Old 02-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

After reading many general comments on this site about people that are not responsible and are in over their head, why should we have to be responsible for people that don't pay their bills, whose going to bail me out, and on and on and on, why in the world would anyone want to admit they were having problems and had to sell their boat for finanical reasons---and then be subject to the comments that would surely come????? IMO if I want you to know why I'm selling something, I'll tell you--if not, it's really none of your business. Business is business, you are a buyer--not my best friend.
Jay
Old 02-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
How come when you talk to somebody who is selling something thet wont be up front and tell you when they really need out of something. Ive talked to a couple people about boats and they claim they dont need to sell, then later the boat shows up on a repo site........I think if they were more up front and said they needed to do this or that to save their credit it would work out a lot better for them.
Here is a simpler story:

Bought 2 for 1 breakfast sandwiches at McDonalds. I couldn't eat the second one since the first one wasn't great. I stop at a gas station and watch a homeless guy finger the pay phones, search the ashtrays for leftover butts and sift through the trash cans for whatever. I offer him the sandwich (still hot, 5 minutes old, still in the wrapper/bag) and he says "I don't need that." So I think for a minute that this guy really needs the sandwich and probably wants it but P R I D E is getting in the way. So I threw it in the trash. He notices and as I was driving away he was chewing on the sandwich.

Pride will make people do weird stuff.............
Old 02-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=rv;2802029]Why does a buyer need to know the financial aspect of the seller.

Agreed! Or any other aspect as to why they are selling. If I`m interested in what your selling its my responsability to inspect the property and make an offer that I am willing to pay. I cant stand when someone asks me "why are you selling?"

Quick Reply: How come people dont admit theyre in trouble and need to sell??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.