Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
O.T. need help/advise/constacts for new company startup >

O.T. need help/advise/constacts for new company startup

Notices

O.T. need help/advise/constacts for new company startup

Old 08-23-2002, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a little inspiration for you. I just had a friend looking for some type of spot light to take with him to a bass tournament tomorrow nite. He said it"s a pain to load up at the ramp with no light"s. I didn"t realize they have nite tournament"s.There"s your market ! Best of luck.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also in the process of starting a small business. Here are some links I have found valuable as I have absolutely no business experience. I have a love for what I do and I am very good at it. That's a start. When I get further along, I will probably need some help too.

http://www.sba.gov/
http://www.myownbusiness.org

Good luck, looks like a great product.
Old 08-24-2002, 11:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the replies and advice. I will follow up.

Donzi, forward the pic of my product to your fishin buddy, I'll get him one. I do think the fishing market is the biggest by far, with the lights horizontal or elevated ( they can go higher than the horizontal position) the light gets right into a bass/walleye boat. And besides, when aren't fishermen loading or unloading in the dark (LOL) .

but my idea did come from my personal need. In Michigan, about this season, its pretty dark at 9:00pm, when we run for dinner and get back, it is dark. can't see crap at our ramp. When I tried the prototype for the first time. a couple fishin guys came right over and had to know where I got that light thing..... I think they will sell.

we are modifying/improving the design, lighter guage steel, shorterr center upright to not be visible while driving, and optimized parts and pieces. Two 55 Watt lights. if it doesn't have a TON of light, I see no benefit to the consumer, so the lighting will be good ( I working in advanced lighting at GM for 3 years. I will spec the lighting right.....)

CobraMarty, sorry it doesn't make the boat go faster. You idea is a good one. we are discussing this. We (Partner and I) could license this to someone, but if we do, we hope to make our own too. Our ultimate dream is our own manufacturing facility and be self employed...... but there are steps to get there. and we are planning so we don't blow this by not being able to deliver if it happens to take off...Here's hoping for the best

anyone....what would you pay for a lighting device that is similar in construction to a bike rack, slides over your draw bar, is adjustable in about 10 positions, removable, adds SIGNIFICANT light behind your truck for towing/ loading your boat/snowmobiles/ open race car hauler, etc.

would you pay extra for custom matching powedercoat to your truck or boat. multiple lights, what other extras????

Sorry for the long winded post , obviously I'm the most excited about this, (LOL) just hoping there is some interest by trailered performance boaters like me.
Old 08-25-2002, 12:01 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by pachangalpina
I work for Outlaw Performance Products/Outlaw Disc Brakes and I am the Dir of Mfg for the race division. We manuf billet racing brakes and dist. our product world wide through our dealer network. We have found that it is best not to compete with our dealers and try to run all sales that may come from our website or advertising through our dealers. If I have a customer that insists on purchasing from us I offer reconditioned products or "open box" demo units and sell those. Most people have no problem buying from a dealer and we try to help them find one that will service their needs. If you want more info on pricing or dealer requirements please contact me .

Todd Howerton
Outlaw Disc Brakes
[email protected]www.outlawdiscbrakes.com
I couldn't agree more with this statement. Nothing irritates me more then someone coming into my store for a price and telling me that they can buy direct from the manufacturer online for less. That or magazines are a MAJOR pita. Big no no in my book.

Takes away credibility with me. I usually don't make an effort to move that particular product anymore. I may be small, but a few thousand small dealers will add up.

Stand behind the dealers that take your company to where it's going. Don't take a dump on them when you go big time and warehouses start buying from you.

Buck
Old 08-25-2002, 01:18 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can see how useful it would be. Where do you pull the power? A long extention cord and cigarette lighter plug? A tripod stand would let it free stand for added uses. Great work.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:49 PM
Registered

Thanks for the encouragement Too Old. Cobra MArty, we have included in the patent a remote stand and extension for remote use. My current prototype connects into an auxillary 4 blade receptacle. My Ford came with a 6 point round and a 4 blade next to it. I call this the poor mans method, just plug the 2 pin pigtail from the TowLite into the first two pins of the 4 blade, (ground and taillight ) have to have running lights on of course.... I just unplug it after wiping the boat down and plugging my trailer lights back in to head home.

Other options include a backlit switch mounted in the cab and add a receptacle at the rear. (like adding fog lights), a third.... a "T" pigtail to take power off the single trialer hookup you have, then a switch on the TowLite. And the top line included in our patent documentation..... a remote switch (like keyless entry) with either of the aformentioned power sources.

buck183 and Pachang.. I agree. it is the American way. I cant sell 2000 of these my self. a fair % of a high volume is more than full profit on only a few. So we are looking for the better recommended Manufacturing Reps for this product and the WD's they call on.

Hey, Anyone round up Waterfoul at LOTO to see this prototype?.

Last edited by Rambunctious; 08-25-2002 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:38 PM
jtmiller02

Send me an email with some of the specifics of your Co/product when they are ready...I can see who does the buying for my Dad's Co. and see if they might want to check one out. They are one of the largest WD for hunting/Fishing gear in the country. Most places like Boaters World or West Marine buy products from them, as well as almost any smaller stores. Their main competitors are Bass Pro Shops and Wal Mart, Wal Mart beats up suppliers so bad on prices that they alienate many of them, however they sell volume that nobody else can touch.

I'll ask the old man if they have a specific person who does their buying etc for different types of products.

Old 05-14-2004, 09:17 PM
Registered

JTmiller

I will. thanks!!! that would be awesome!!!

it is great when offshore updates thier site, people search back and find stuff. notice my original post was almost exactly 2 years ago. we are selling locally now, we are patent pending, and working with a MAJOR manufacturer with brand recognition on licensing, but no commitments from them yet. we need them to mass produce. our small time process is too costly for mass market yet, especially walmart. but we are getting there. your contacts may help confirm what they feel the market will bear for cost. we have a powerpoiont presentation I coul dsend you.

I have learned a lot in the process about small business, taxes, and such
renting 1/3 of my building to my company, buing lots of useful tools and equipment and having fun with this. hope something big happens soon though (so does the wife, lots going out, not lots coming in)

Ramb
Old 05-14-2004, 09:40 PM
Allan4

Hey Ram,

Sounds like things are progressing well, good for you. I always love to hear of people finding the thrill and excitement of self employment. As well, I love to see them learn...think about it, in 2 years look how far it has come....and also (please dont tkae this wrong) how far it has not come as well. It just takes alot of time with certain products and industries to grow and be self sustaining. I know first hand the patent process can be very long and tedious as well. KEEP GOING!!

Keep plugging away, if you make good decisions and work hard, success is a matter of WHEN, not if. SOunds like you are well on your way and what you have learned is invaluable. Good job, being is biz can be very challenging yet, very rewarding.

I might be interested in speaking with you about a dealer program concerning your product line. We are building our online catalog and I am always looking for top of the line products to offer our customers. As well, if you need some web solutions help, we can chat about that also...I have a web design, hosting, promotions and e-commerce biz.

3 of our latest creations...
www.hilsingermotorsports.com (our online catalog/store I was talking about is being built on this site)
www.agitatoroffshore.com
www.konabistro.com

ANyway...drop me a PM if you have any interest in what I have mentioned above.

Keep working hard and good luck

Allan

Old 05-14-2004, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holly $hit, my post here was right before I was leaving to get Married!!!! That was a little over 2 years ago and now I am single. Man if I could have those two years back. What a blast from the past.

Quick Reply: O.T. need help/advise/constacts for new company startup

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.