55 MPH Group in Poker Runs >

55 MPH Group in Poker Runs

Notices

55 MPH Group in Poker Runs

Old 03-13-2009, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Double R Performance
The biggest problem I see is perception. The new boaters that the sport needs, the guys with 27 Bajas, 29 Scarabs... are often intimidated and don't think they can come to a poker run because they don't have a 100 mph boat. This lets them know there is a place for them and that they will have a great day on the water. It also provides a place for people with faster boats to run their equipment easier and not be left alone.
You nailed it right there. I have a 32' Sunsation but only powered with 7.4's. This is only my second year of boating and my boat only tops out at 70 mph....and I'm not always comfortable running there (nor should I be, being so new). It would be nice to know there are events where I can learn to walk before I run (so to speak) and not constantly be the last guy to the dock that everyone rags on. Great idea....hope something like that comes to the Great Lakes soon!
Old 03-13-2009, 07:09 AM
RHC
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most people on here are commenting about there own area that they boat in , all parts of the Country are not the same , what works in one lake will not be the same in another area, there is a place for speed at most events but some guys have a problem holding back for the right moment , it's all about common sense and knowing when to go and when to pull back ! for sure , if your not in your home waters and know where you are going , it is not the time to push the stick's forward and hang it all out !

RHC
Old 03-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That is a great idea. My cruise speed is 55/60 so I cant keep up with the pack, therefore I never get pics from the helicopter which has been my biggest gripe.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Registered

I like the idea. Plus this year we are going to shorten our course which will make it easier for the slower boat to catch up and hopefully attract more "normal" boats.

I agree that different bodies of water can be used differently. Here on the Upper Mississippi River it can get really narrow. We run a pace boat for a majority of the run. The only time we cut them loose is on the lake which is about 3 miles wide. Even this is narrow so we either send the fast boats first or send them all together in which the fast boats get out front. So either way the fast boats are out in front and out of the congestion. Granted this leaves the slower and often times smaller boats to deal with the rougher water. But we don't run really long distances so they have plenty of time to slow down and still catch up.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sellsman11
Smart....very smart. I have always thought that a designated speed group would be popular. Very similar to the 55mph group but actually set a running speed that everybody in the group could agree to. (55...60...70....100...whatever) Dont treat it like a speed restriction but have club members agree to the speed and run together throughout the run. To me, there is nothing better than running with a big group of boats.(except maybe running PAST a big group of boats)
My sentiments...Exactly!!!!!

The bigger the group...the better...

Besides, it's great looking at the boats beside you and know exactly what they are thinking...OH YEAH BABY...Let's Rock..Yee Hah!!!

Divenstar
Old 03-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Caincando1
I like the idea. Plus this year we are going to shorten our course which will make it easier for the slower boat to catch up and hopefully attract more "normal" boats.

I agree that different bodies of water can be used differently. Here on the Upper Mississippi River it can get really narrow. We run a pace boat for a majority of the run. The only time we cut them loose is on the lake which is about 3 miles wide. Even this is narrow so we either send the fast boats first or send them all together in which the fast boats get out front. So either way the fast boats are out in front and out of the congestion. Granted this leaves the slower and often times smaller boats to deal with the rougher water. But we don't run really long distances so they have plenty of time to slow down and still catch up.
You must be talking about Lake Pepin.I boated the upper Mississippi for years and I do believe a poker run could get pretty congested.What run are you talking about?PM me, Ive got 3 trips to Minn planned this summer,might be able catch a ride with someone.I know a few boats from Leos Landing.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DONZIEBRI
You must be talking about Lake Pepin.I boated the upper Mississippi for years and I do believe a poker run could get pretty congested.What run are you talking about?PM me, Ive got 3 trips to Minn planned this summer,might be able catch a ride with someone.I know a few boats from Leos Landing.

Yep Lake Pepin! It's the Liguid Jungle Poker Run. I'll PM you also.

wwww.liquidjunglepokerrun.com
Old 03-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan8886
You nailed it right there. I have a 32' Sunsation but only powered with 7.4's. This is only my second year of boating and my boat only tops out at 70 mph....and I'm not always comfortable running there (nor should I be, being so new). It would be nice to know there are events where I can learn to walk before I run (so to speak) and not constantly be the last guy to the dock that everyone rags on. Great idea....hope something like that comes to the Great Lakes soon!
I did the Spring Opener in 2007 with a 28 baja" Pure Adrenaline" I was the last boat to lunch but I will tell you 1st hand. I met more guys with Cats then I ever met at any poker runs. Vinny Ricife with his "BAD" Skater was there next to me.. Talked to me as if he knew me 20 years. Father and son Fiore, Complimented on my paint work, Donzi group got us drinks one day when Pirate was installing Intercom, Walked by and said" I am going to the bar, Can I get you something".. I didn't know him from anyone!! I met so many guys that I see there names on here that I never knew that treated us like we all knew eachother and have done 40 of these together... HONESTLY.

I WAS THE SMALLEST BOAT!! PRA put a nice blurb about us in the article... I will tell you 1st hand... I don't know what your wife has been feeding you... LMAO

SIZE DOESN'T MATTER!!!! LMAO

Do one for yourself and you will see 1st hand...

Good luck!!