Like Tree0Likes

?? for Florida Powerboat Club members

Old 03-19-2002, 05:05 PM
Registered

My Boats: 54' Searay, 31' Rinker, 12' AB Inflatible CC
Default ?? for Florida Powerboat Club members

I am planning a trip in two weeksand need some info. I have a 2001 29 Outlaw and I am planning a trip from somewhere around Miami to Key West. I have purchased all the charts and bought a gps and am learning how to use it now.

1. Can this trip be done without beating my brains and my boat in

2. I have 3-4 days to boat. what should i not miss on the way down.

3. Is the intercostal marked well enough that someone with 25 years of lake running but minimal time in the salt capable of doing without making a visit to the prop drs??

4. I also need a secure spot to launch and leave my truck and trailer for 4 days. any suggestions

Anybody with any helpful info please e-mail me at otis2264 @aol.com or call me on my cell 518 361-0811 or respond on this thread

thanks

Bob Scanlon
Old 03-19-2002, 05:08 PM
Registered

Also I will be leaving on Thurs April 4th and returning on Monday April 8th

Thanks

Bob
Old 03-19-2002, 05:19 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2000 Fountain
Default Haulover Beach Marina

You might want to launch your boat at Haulover Beach Marina- which is located in North Miami Beach. They have a very nice launching ramp and it is guarded 24hrs a day, although it's still Miami and -hit happens. You will have access to Biscayne Bay and the Intercoastal- within 5 minutes of putting your boat in. I keep my boat there and have been very pleased with the location and the service. There are always really nice boats and rigs in the lot and I know you can keep them there for a few days.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:00 PM
MWL

Default Otis where in Albany are you

Otis
Where do you do your boating in Albany I liave in Albany also
thanks

Old 03-19-2002, 07:36 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

My Boats: 2003 60' SeaRay, 2014 30' Concept CC

Hi Bob,

You'll be just fine with your 29'. As you look at your charts, you'll note there are two ways to get to KW. One is known as the inside or ICW route, which runs thru Biscayne Bay and then Florida Bay. You take this all the way to Bahia Honda where you must enter the Ocean for the last 38 miles or so. While the smoothest, this one must be followed exactly as charted or else there are any number of places to run aground. If it's a clear day, one you are parallel to Islamorada, it's between 247 and 255 degrees all the way to Bahia Honda, with about 5 cuts thru shoals you have to be careful of. (Hence the clear day warning) Once you clear the two bridges at Bahia Honda (Pass under the one where the span is missing) proceed about 1 mile to sea then turn right and follow the coast to KW, staying about 1mile offshore. As you leave Miami under the Rickenbacker Causeway (Last bridge in Miami) you'll be in Biscayne Bay, and open water until the first cut which is known as Featherbed Cut. Formt here follows the headings exaclty and in short order you'll see the Card Sound Bridge. After the bridge, you'll run thru abotu 1/4 mile of well marked channel, then straight for a few miles into JewFish Creek. From there it's thru a series of Bays and then channels thru Mangrove stands until you clear Cowpens Cut (which is something like 20 miles or so south of Jewfish Creek (Across from Plantation key) Cowpens is your final Mangrove cut.
Then the above refrenced 247 to 255 degrees (approximately) until Bahia Honda.

The alternative way is to take the Ocean via Hawks Channel. This is a path between the reef and the Keys themselves. You cna being this path anywhere you like, although if it's your first time you might want to pick it up right outside of Government Cut/Port of Miami. If it's 5-7 footers outside the reef, it's generally 2-4 inside the reef. The outside route is probably easiest from a navigation standpoint, as you basically just need to stay app. 1 mile offshore all the way to KW. Where you come upon large yellow balls, those are environmental sensitive areas, go around them. You'll see markers all the way to KW, keep the reds to your right or land side going down and greens to your left. It can get confusing where you have intersecting channels, so keep your chart page in range.

There are any number of interesting places on the way to KW. if the water is nice and you're into snorkeling, stop at any of the marked places for Pennekamp reef state park. Tie up to the white floats, DON'T DROP ANCHOR, serious environmental no-no.
The water depth at Pennekamp can run from a couple of feet to 20 feet. About 20 miles south of Holiday Isle is Hawks Cay. This is a beautiful resort and would make a nice stopover if needed. It's about 60 miles from there to KW. There is a well marked channel from the Ocean into Hawks Cay (Duck Key).

Alternatively, once you get to KW, a nice day trip if the weather is cooperating, is out to the Fort, about 65 miles west of KW. This is a huge brick fortress built in the mid 1800's. The water is crystal clear and you can anchor in the harbor and wade in for the tour.

Make dock reservations in KW NOW if you've not already. My favorite is the Galleon. Dockmaster is Warren Chadwick. He's a great old salt, and a good Friend to many on this Board including Medicine Man, Horseplay and others.

Have a ball, and don't hesitate to call if you have any problems. My cell is 954-980-2643.

Take care,

Steve
Old 03-19-2002, 09:32 PM
Registered

Steve, Thanks for this valuable info. It sounds to me my best bet would be hawks channel inside the reef (2-4') unless i get a perfect day to run way out. It also sounds like the icw can get me in trouble real quick. Ill avoid that unless it gets rough on me. Am i committed to the outside once i make a go of it from Miami or can i get to the icw at most any time ?? I will contact you by phone as i get alittle closer to my launch date

Thanks

Bob Scanlon
Old 03-19-2002, 09:35 PM
Registered

MWL, I live in Bolton Landing across from the A and Chics Marine. I am originally from Colonie, grew up in the village and moved up here 7 years ago

Bob
Old 03-20-2002, 01:15 AM
Registered

OTIS311
I would stay in Hawks channel even if the water is good offshore unless you like looking at an empty ocean all day, also you'll have to come inside the reef if you need fuel. Steve is right about making slip reservations now! If you are going to KW in one day it is a long day but easily doable.
I personably would go down in 2 days and back in 2 days and stay on the inside (ICW), there are too many places to stop and goof off on the way to KW to do it in one day.
Gilbert's in Blackwater Sound
Snooks Bayside in Buttonwood Sound
Smuggler's in Snake Creek
Holiday Isle in Whale Harbour
Lori-Lei's Upper Matecumbe Key
Hawk's Cay at Duck Key
Faro Blanco at Marathon
Then out in the ocean to KW.
Haulover is probably the best place to launch in Miami unless you want trailer on down to the Keys and launch at Pennecamp State Park.
You would not be commited to the outside once out at Miami, but that is going to be your roughest water until you get to Bahia Honda Bridge.
There are alot of places to run aground in the Keys on the inside and outside, so you should pay close attetion to the water color.
And remember, on the inside route 6' of water is considered deep
Have a good trip and be safe. It's a ton of fun down there
Old 03-20-2002, 03:36 AM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

My Boats: 2003 60' SeaRay, 2014 30' Concept CC

Hi Bob,

Medicine Man (Robert) gave you some great stopover places. He's made the run a bunch, and in fact is becoming a legend at some of those. (RLT) whenever we stop at a Keys watering hole, they always ask, hey you know that Robert guy from Georgia, heck of a guy ........

Well, Sabrina and I would have to agree with their outlook!

Bob, as to where you can duck in if things get a bit rough, there are several once you're out of Miami. From the sea side, north Key Largo has Anglefish creek which takes you from the ocean into south biscayne bay. Further south travelling the ocean route, there is Tavernier Creek which is between Plantation Key and Key Largo, this creek will take you from the Ocean to just north of Cowpens cut on Florida Bay. South of there a few miles is Snake creek, which will take you you into Florida bay (again assuming you're coming in from the Ocean) just south of Plantation Key. As you exit Snake Creek you'll go south to continue on. (keep those markers to your starboard as you exit Snake Creek on the bay side) If you need a layover at that point, take a right after exiting the creek and Plantation yacht Harbor will be about 1 mile to your right. They have some transient slips, nice facilities. They are owned by the city of Islamorada.
Back again in the Ocean, south of Snake creek another 15 miles or so is Channel 5 which will take you from Ocean to Florida Bay. Once in Flordia bay you'll turn left and pick up the ICW channel.
South of Channel 5 is the 7 mile bridge at Marathon. This will take you from the Ocean into Florida Bay. Once inside turn left and proceed 8 miles or so to Bahia Honda. At that point you must enter the Ocean to complete your trip to KW. At that point you're running almost 270 degrees, the seas are generally following and unless it's absolutely horrendous you'll be fine in your 29 Outlaw.

If it just too bad to go out, you have a couple of options, you can stay at the Ohio Key facility just north of Bahia Honda, or proceed back up Florida Bay the 8 miles or so to Faro Blanco in Marathon. Nice facility, pool, restaurants, fuel etc.

You're going to have a ball, it's a beautiful trip, and while a bit intimidating the first couple of times, you'll find it well worth the nerve damage

Take care,

Steve
Old 03-20-2002, 04:12 AM
Registered

Hey Steve
Thanks for the complement . Are ya'll going to be in Daytona for the race? Doing Stu's poker run? If so I hope to see ya'll
Hey Bob
I'll call you and give you the GPS coordinates to KW on the inside and outside as per Stu from a couple of years ago. They are relatively accurate, but I would not go WITHOUT a chart. I heard that there was someone on Stu's run this past weekend that didn't think they needed to stay within the markers and they came home on the trailer . It sounds alot more intimidating than it actually is and ya'll should have a great time . Best advise that I can give you is DON'T get in a hurry and pay attention to where you are. Does your GPS have charting capabilities? That's a big help, but not necessary. The first time that I went to KW I had a little hand held and followed the coor. that I will give you and I got there with no problems. You shouldn't have any problems with rough water 'cause like Steve said once outside at Bahia Honda your only a mile or so off the beach all the way to KW. Damn ya'll are making me want to make another Keys run . Oh yea, watch out for the Duval crawl, it can make for a rough day of boating the next day . Talk to you soon
SeeYa
RLT