Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What Gauges Are In Now ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/204894-what-gauges-now.html)

activatorf1 03-14-2009 06:54 PM

What Gauges Are In Now ?

Had Gaffrig Or Livorsi For Years , Lets Face Autometer Makes Most Of Their Stuff , Thinking About Straight Up Auto Meter Platinum for my 32 skater. Only Had A Few Issues With Livorsi , Had To Tap On Them A Few Times To Get Them To Move , But Other Than That No Issues , Just Feel The Name Is Now Old School

Brad Zastrow 03-14-2009 09:07 PM

I could not disagree more. Livorsi gauges set the standard. Many boats for sale will advertise that they have Livorsi products. It is a selling point that increases the value of your boat. Ever see an classified baot ad that says Autometer gauges in the boat?

Velocity Vector 03-14-2009 09:35 PM

Same boat

Gaffrig
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...320/1038_1.jpg

Livorsi
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...DSC_0006-6.jpg

jfm 03-14-2009 09:39 PM

Velocity Vector nice dash!!!

activatorf1 03-14-2009 10:15 PM

I know for a fact that at least one of my gauges on my old race boat said auto meter and yes I bought them from Mike

northernoffshore 03-15-2009 09:24 AM

autometer

shoregasm 03-15-2009 09:53 AM

I've spent thousands of dollars in the last year with new gauges from Lav. In my opinion, they are less then quality. Gaf is better in my opinion, however, they don't have the look yet. Yes for some reason, it is a marketing value in a boat, thus the reason I purchased them. However, given the choice again, I will use something else in a heartbeat. Over and over I have had to spend money to R&R gauges that were new and went bad in a sec. Yes, Liv sent them to me after hassle, but I still have to pay to R&R them. Why should I have to do that. I can understand out of 25 gauges maybe one being bad, but I have had to replace sets of them 4 separate times now...and still the speedo GPS does not work along with one oil pres gauge. I'm sick of them and will never use them again...EVER

bouyhunter 03-15-2009 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Velocity Vector (Post 2821390)

No offense, but I really like the gray/silver dash better.

TOASTY 03-15-2009 11:28 AM

Activator, i think you should really consider faria guages for your build, that style will complement your design and you quality of work....HAHAHAHA didnt you see this happening??

serious tho if you want to be different do nordskog guages = $$
all the race boats have auto meter or MERC display thats what you really should consider 2 Merc displays with very little else just for back up...

GO4BROKE 03-15-2009 12:20 PM

I don't know whats popular now, but I like my faria's better than Livorsi. The Livorsis I had tended to fog up. I have a Gaffrig speedo that is within 1 mph of gps. I don't know if its old livorsi gaffrig or gaffrig gaffrig.
I like gauges better than the lcd displays.
If I were buying new gauges it would be livorsi or gaffrig just for all the cosmetic options.

activatorf1 03-15-2009 12:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just was on Auto -meter site , found the marine section . I like the Platinum with chrome rim , 2 tachs 5 inch , one gps speedo , 2 volts , 2 5/8 , 2 temp , 2 fuel , temp sender and gps sender for under 1000.00

ActiveThunder 03-15-2009 07:46 PM

Anyone have an opinion on these? Not quite gauges but close....

http://www.danamarineproducts.com/Pr...9-c5fb9aab9663

Brad Zastrow 03-15-2009 08:01 PM

New Skaters come with Livorsi. The best boats come with Livorsi from the factory. But the factories must not know the truth. :rolleyes:
I am sure many gauges are just fine. I prefer the bling Livorsi brings to the party.

GO4BROKE 03-15-2009 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder (Post 2821821)
Anyone have an opinion on these? Not quite gauges but close....

http://www.danamarineproducts.com/Pr...9-c5fb9aab9663

I think they look cool.

jfm 03-15-2009 08:32 PM

$1500!!!!:eek: worth every penny. NICE!!!!:drink:

Back4More 03-15-2009 08:51 PM

Livorsi

northernoffshore 03-15-2009 09:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
autometer carbon fiber

northernoffshore 03-15-2009 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by wet_rat (Post 2821921)
:grinser010:

Autometer are water resistant and sealed for fog resistance just as Livorsi--what makes Livorsi better other then the fact they have been around. They have proven themselves as a great gauge but it doesn't mean another competitor can;t build an equal product.

Auto gauge are autometers less expensive line. Monster gauges are autometer

Ryan8886 03-15-2009 10:02 PM

Ha! Still have the original, 14 year old VDO Blue Lines in my boat....and they all still work! Yeah....there outdated...but so are my colors! :ernaehrung004:

Sweet Nmocean 03-15-2009 10:58 PM

I run autometer marine mine doesn't fog but my buddy runs the same gauges and his fog. I ran VDO marine in another boat and had no trouble with them either.

Bottoms Up 03-16-2009 05:59 AM

We have installed all brand.

I have never had anyone come back to me with a broken gauge. I feel installation has alot to do with it. Fogging has a lot to do with tempature and location of the gauges and or ventalation in that area. Also I know boats are suppost to get wet but if you have allowed days of rain to cover them they will fog until dried properly, no matter what brand. This same issue is why some gauges fail. Even though they are marine gauges does not mean they are submersible.

Livorsi vs Gaffrig

Mike Livorsi has developed a company like no other. Providing product that has been imitated and never duplicated. Bought the Gaffrig company and then had to deal with a legal problem when they just started using the name again. Started the Livorsi name and went to the next level in his field.

How is it possible that you sell a company and then just open up again all while the person who bought the name has taken it to the next level?

I do not know the whole story but this was stuff I heard during all of those issue's a few years ago.

No matter what you choose I would say installation and care has a lot to do with longevity.

Your gauges deserve the same care as the rest of your boat!!!

Billy:drink:

lotojim 03-16-2009 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by activatorf1 (Post 2821648)
I just was on Auto -meter site , found the marine section . I like the Platinum with chrome rim , 2 tachs 5 inch , one gps speedo , 2 volts , 2 5/8 , 2 temp , 2 fuel , temp sender and gps sender for under 1000.00

I am in the process of changing my dash and gauges now. I looked at AutoMeter but found that they ARE NOT sealed. May not make a difference but I did not like that. I ordered Gaffrigg last Friday. Platnuim 1-3 3/8 speedo dry, 2- 3 3/8 tach, 2-2" water temp, 2-2" oil temp, 1-2"volt, 1-2"gas and senders with chrome bezels all for 586.00. Hell of a deal.
I'll post pics when I can.

northernoffshore 03-16-2009 10:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
pics of gauges

northernoffshore 03-16-2009 10:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
pics of gauges

KEPP 03-16-2009 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by activatorf1 (Post 2821310)
Had Gaffrig Or Livorsi For Years , Lets Face Autometer Makes Most Of Their Stuff , Thinking About Straight Up Auto Meter Platinum for my 32 skater. Only Had A Few Issues With Livorsi , Had To Tap On Them A Few Times To Get Them To Move , But Other Than That No Issues , Just Feel The Name Is Now Old School

Ok guys here's the most current history lesson on gauges since many of your facts are true just some years old. The fact of the matter is Autometer only builds there own gauges anymore we all know they are a good gauge. As for Livorsi ever since CompX bought them they have spent thousands and thousands revamping their gauge line into their own product and have since added plug-in duetch connection technology. This is state of the art Formula one type gauge connections. The real part that we all love about the Livorsi gauges is the individuality of color choices and designs as Autometer only offers four choices. As for the Gaffrig brand all of their gauges today are imports. Nothing against imports but they are not built and assembled here in this country as the Autometer and Livorsi gauges are. That being said they all are good gauges you just need to determine which style or technology suits your application best.

http://www.keitheickert.com/gauges.html

Feel free to pm me for a quote.

Best Regards

AppSysCons 03-16-2009 03:48 PM

"What guages are in now?"

Who cares!

Do what I do, and buy what you like, and then enjoy it.

Never, never let someone tell you what to buy, just because it is the 'flavor of the day'.