Notices

30' Cat Market Survey

Old 04-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by us1kw
My thoughts are this: It seems as if there are plenty of 36'+ new and used boats on the market, most at a fraction of what they cost to build. With most folks net worth dropping there will be more. I don't think the desire for speed and a cool looking boat will go away, just maybe downsize for a while. An affordable entry level boat that can still run in moderately bumpy water, be fuel efficient and reliable under warranty may fill the void. I don't know, that's why I posted the question.
As for how can you build it, labor costs and material costs are down. Mercury is offering some pretty good deals on power, and if you be careful with advertising expenses and boat shows I believe it is a good place to start. Then as things start coming around build the larger boats for your customers to move up to.

Ultra, which is now gone I think, had some of the best looking smaller cats. By smaller I mean their most recent 27-34' cats. Buy the molds and get to work.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Registered

Was it recently that Ultra quit building boats? I did not realize they were gone..

Last edited by baja bailey; 04-03-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by us1kw
My thoughts are this: It seems as if there are plenty of 36'+ new and used boats on the market, most at a fraction of what they cost to build. With most folks net worth dropping there will be more. I don't think the desire for speed and a cool looking boat will go away, just maybe downsize for a while. An affordable entry level boat that can still run in moderately bumpy water, be fuel efficient and reliable under warranty may fill the void. I don't know, that's why I posted the question.
As for how can you build it, labor costs and material costs are down. Mercury is offering some pretty good deals on power, and if you be careful with advertising expenses and boat shows I believe it is a good place to start. Then as things start coming around build the larger boats for your customers to move up to.
Steve will build you one...its a 26' but its big, with a usable cabin plus if you slap twin 300 merc. on it your looking at a 110mph bad ass boat

http://www.rpmpowerboats.com/redline.htm
Old 04-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Registered

I love the 30' o/b cats.......Spectre, Motion, AMT, Predator (AMT mold). I even like the new Liberator 30....more of a luxo-cat, very sharp with tons of room. (Yes, I know it has a center pod)

They are light, easy to tow with a 1/2 ton truck. They are reliable as can be with the XS Merc series motors, no need to get your hands dirty every time to go to the water. And they are economical. Insurance aside, they are relitively cheap to own.

I wanted one for the longest time, and still would like to scratch that itch someday. Insurance rates squandered my pursuit.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Registered

As a 30ft cat owner .
Sounds like a good plan .

Having gone up to a 42ft on a guided path of discovery we are back to an Outboards 30ft.Ease of use ,storage ,towing etc etc ,
Id even consider offering it cheaper with less HP as a base model.??
Old 04-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Registered

I have a 30ft Spectre that I got from Jay and I love the boat! Just a few things to think about would be insurance and financing.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Registered

I think its a great idea. Great looking boat. Good size for all around boating. Love the new interior. Got to have the wind deflector. However allot of people on the west coast are afraid of the hop. If where talking about the same hull. Any chance of big blocks in that price range?
Old 04-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Registered

The hop can be designed out as it was in the 32. Big Blocks add significant $$. Much more expensive packages, labor, etc....
Old 04-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by baja bailey
Was it recently that Ultra quit building boats? I did not realize they were gone..
A few weeks ago the owner posted on performance boats that he was done for now.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by isellpower
A few weeks ago the owner posted on performance boats that he was done for now.
John West is not in the picture per se but Ultra is still very much in business...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.