???? RC gas/nitro ,radio control car

Notices

???? RC gas/nitro ,radio control car

Old 03-21-2002, 02:45 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ???? RC gas/nitro ,radio control car

I know this off the subject of boats, but I need a little help!!!

I don't know a lot about them.

I'm trying to find a used RC nitro car and radio for my girlfriends son. He wants one that looks like one of those fast and furious cars.

She doesn't want me to spend 300.00 bucks for a new set-up because he's only 12 years old and knows nothing about taking care of them.

Any you guys know anything about these, it would be helpful. Also,if anybody has one that would sell the set-up cheap would be helpful!!!

Thanks,
Shawn

I did see a cool lookin 48" scarab gas powered boat with a chainsaw engine!!!!!
Old 03-21-2002, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check E-bay, should be able to find some cool ones there. Get him the RC boat it will be cooler
Old 03-21-2002, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I've got a T-Maxx - it's a nitro monster truck. For a whole set-up, with everything you need, it's going to be tough to do for under $300, unless you start checking out E-Bay.
Kyosho makes a ready-to-run nitro car that sells for around $200 at Tower Hobbies, but add on shipping and the little stuff you'll need, you'll be up to $300.
How old is he, by the way? My truck will do 35-40, depending on the gearing in it. On-road nitros will do up to 60 +. At that speed, one shot into a curb and it's a grenade.
Old 03-21-2002, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Go with an electric they can be just as fast and alot more troublsome.
Old 03-21-2002, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nitro-powered r/c vehicles are a big step up from electric. It's not the most difficult thing in the world, but I would not recommend it to anyone too young. There is quite a bit of maintenance and upkeep involved. First off, if you've ever put one of these things together, you'll know just how involved it is.

I raced gas r/c for years and the costs add up quick. It's going to be really tough to beat your ceiling of 300.00 unless it's used.

You will need the vehicle kit(this alone is usually 300-500 for nitro) a 2-channel radio with the appropriate servos(50-200), batteries for the radio both transmitter and reciever, fuel(usually 20-30 per gallon depending on quality and % nitro), glow plug starter(w/ batteries of course), paint, stickers,...etc, etc. The associated spare parts hardware will be a bundle as well. You will likely be replacing gearsets annually(that's conservative) and a whole plethra of other things that can go awry...pull-cords, starters, glow-plugs, servo linkages, servos, bodys.....

And like rainmn mentioned, one good accident and it will total itself.

I really don't want to be discouraging, but you should know what he'll be getting into. It's a great hobby, but time-consuming and expensive...Not unlike boats.
Old 03-21-2002, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Boomer - I think you meant less troublesome, right?
I agree, although the price up front can be just as high as nitro. Good baterries are expensive, and you need more than 1 to have any fun.
Old 03-21-2002, 03:23 PM
Registered

Tough call there, I had lots of cars as at 12 years old, but not gas, just battery, and I always broke them. As I got older I got into gas powered cars, then planes, and R/c Gas helicopter's are my latest thing, and a total pain in the ass I might add. I do hundreds in damage every time I fly it!!! I dont think I'd expect anything to last very long in a 12 year old's hands though, they require upkeep, and break easily if you hit anything wrong, or jump them too high. There should be deals on e-bay, but you might want to see how he handles taking care of a less expensive one before graduating him up to gas powered one.
Old 03-21-2002, 03:24 PM
Registered

For a 12 y.o i would stick to electric too... i feel a siezed piston already..... and the curb granade scenario.. been there done that..... those things turn into alot of peices at 50 mph to a dead stop... looks cool though... and everthing generaly can be put back together... they are pretty tough...either nitro or battery... good luck.. they are fun.. and the dogs love em too......
Old 03-21-2002, 03:50 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I appreciate the input from you guys!!

His mom is already apprehensive about it enough. I told her basically the same as what I heard from you guys.

I do know it does need to be a close supervised activity. I'll get the info back to her!

Thanks,

Shawn
Old 03-21-2002, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Plus from what I've seen from friends that have them
-the Nitro is very dangerous!
-the thing that starts them? will burn your finger! It did mine! It was some kind of a starter?!?
-they are very LOUD!! (not something you could run just anywhere!)
-Expensive! And don't take crashes well! unlike the electric ones!
-high maintance!

Quick Reply: ???? RC gas/nitro ,radio control car

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.