Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Part 1, Ft Lauderdale to Turks & Caicos >

Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Part 1, Ft Lauderdale to Turks & Caicos

Notices

Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Part 1, Ft Lauderdale to Turks & Caicos

Old 04-17-2009, 08:31 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a awesome trip Bob. Be safe and enjoy.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:11 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by AppSysCons
Making progress now.

Thats a big ocean!

Position based on last reported position

Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:17:10 PM
Coordinates: (WGS84)
25.5543 , -79.2784

Maybe you can help me, it looks like you have the marine charts for the Bahamas, I noticed this little island on google earth it is south of cat cay and 18.6 miles south of s Bimini. I cant find a name for it any any reference to it. The google earth co-ordinates appear to be off.

It appears to be industrial with a couple of large vessels docked, Just wondering if any one knows what it is? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Part 1, Ft Lauderdale to Turks & Caicos-mystery-cay.jpg   Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Part 1, Ft Lauderdale to Turks & Caicos-south-bimini.jpg  
Old 04-17-2009, 09:18 AM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Wobble
Maybe you can help me, it looks like you have the marine charts for the Bahamas, I noticed this little island on google earth it is south of cat cay and 18.6 miles south of s Bimini. I cant find a name for it any any reference to it. The google earth co-ordinates appear to be off.

It appears to be industrial with a couple of large vessels docked, Just wondering if any one knows what it is? Thanks.
What do you want to know about it?

It was/is a sand mine and could be a LNG terminal in the future Google AES LNG
Old 04-17-2009, 09:25 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bcschoe
What do you want to know about it?

It was/is a sand mine and could be a LNG terminal in the future Google AES LNG
Thanks for the answer, I was curious, it popped up and appears to have no name although there seems to be an old airstrip.

That google earth will burn up some valuable time
Old 04-17-2009, 09:33 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

I see it is called Ocean Cay and is man made.

"LNG Company Sued
By Quincy Parker
AES Corporation, the Virginia-based energy conglomerate that proposes to build a liquefied natural gas (LNG) facility in The Bahamas, has been implicated in the deaths of several residents of the Dominican Republic.
There are also allegations that the company sought to dump thousands of tons of industrial waste on Ocean Cay, a man-made island 20 miles south of Bimini, The Bahama Journal has learned."

http://www.aesoceanlng.com/OceanCay.asp

My curiosity is satiated
Old 04-17-2009, 10:25 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Pictures Grrrr

I have been able to download my pictures from the cameras into my iphoto on my Mac notebook but cannot seem to find iphoto to upload to my postings. Grrr Mac is new to me and some things are quite different.
I will get some help or figure this out later.
Bob
Old 04-18-2009, 07:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Internet is back up but everytime I type a post the connection is lost by the time I post it. Grrr, again.

I will try shorter posts.

Nice to meet GLH this afternoon. Spent an hour with him, the wife and their kids on "The Mut" as he calls it. Very nice Mut. LOL Great chit chat about all the things we enjoy in common. Can you say boats ? LOL

He downloaded all my pics so far into his laptop and when he has some time will post some on my behalf. Thanks, GL. And thanks for the hospitality.

Bob
Old 04-18-2009, 10:53 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default Today's boating

We went 35 miles down to Allen Cay late this morning in 4 - 6 ft as it is blowing 20 knots +. Just took our time and was actually a fun ride. Iguanas are really cool and have lots of great pics to share. Check "Spot" and you should see our track.

From there we did the short jaunt over to Highborne Cay and checked out the marina there. Very nice and Bahamas like.

We will likely do our 150 mile run south to Georgetown in the Exumas tomorrow as planned but may hit a wall there as no letup in the wind is forecast well into next week. There are large areas of ocean running with little protection south of the Exumas. Not sure what I will do as I lose Hans and Mark by Wednesday.

We will get it figured out.

Bob
Old 04-19-2009, 04:32 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
...Nice to meet GLH this afternoon. Spent an hour with him, the wife and their kids on "The Mut" as he calls it. Very nice Mut. LOL...
Nice to finally meet Bob and some of the crew.

Beautiful boat!

Right tool for the job at hand.
Attached Thumbnails Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Part 1, Ft Lauderdale to Turks & Caicos-aimg_0867.jpg   Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Part 1, Ft Lauderdale to Turks & Caicos-aimg_0818.jpg  
Old 04-19-2009, 04:36 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Bob gave me the pictures of his trip so far with is little day trip to Allen Cay where Iguana's rule the place I guess.

Some pics are from the Atlantis and Bob arriving into Nassau.

Here we go.
Attached Thumbnails Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Part 1, Ft Lauderdale to Turks & Caicos-aimg_0707.jpg   Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Part 1, Ft Lauderdale to Turks & Caicos-aimg_0708.jpg   Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Part 1, Ft Lauderdale to Turks & Caicos-aimg_0709.jpg  

Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Part 1, Ft Lauderdale to Turks & Caicos-aimg_0714.jpg   Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Part 1, Ft Lauderdale to Turks & Caicos-aimg_0717.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.