Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
getting boat off trailer in my back yard: help? >

getting boat off trailer in my back yard: help?

Notices

getting boat off trailer in my back yard: help?

Old 04-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny chit but, on a serious note; if you're going to do this in your backyard as you mentioned, think about settleage. If you do it on ground/grass, there is a definite danger of settling and falling on your face!!! You should use very large bases to distribute the weight as much as possible.

You've probably considered this but if not, I'd hate to be reading about you in some thread on OSO. Good luck and check everything twice.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rtaylor
Maybe I could buy a few yard arms. Then a jack, a few blocks and I suppose that's it, huh?
Not to appear overly simplistic, but what if you put the jacks in place then deflated the trailer tires?

Maybe overinflate them first for even more drop when deflated? Seems like that would give you an easy 5-6 inches.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by daredevil
Why,,,don't u just go to a local maina ,,,and pay them 200 bucks to lift your boat of and use there yard to clean the hull and have it set back on the trailer ??????

1 saturday and u be done !!!

I think 200 bucks is well worth it !?
That's good advice. I blocked my old 242 off the trailer once using a backhoe. It worked but I was frickin' nervous the whole time. Knowing what I know now (older and more conservative) I'd go with the marina idea.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Registered

Thing is, I want to re-do my bunks. I need to trace the hull so I can cut notches into the bunks for the steps, etc. I didnt want to feel rushed at a marina. So it's not just cleaning the boat.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Leave the trailer under the baot and jack the boat up one section at a time. Clean the spot,set the boat down and move on to the next section.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ReggieRaft
Leave the trailer under the baot and jack the boat up one section at a time. Clean the spot,set the boat down and move on to the next section.
If all you want to do is wash it,get some Dawn ultra concentrated dishwashing liquid have some one lay on the front of the boat [life jacket on,safety first] running about 25 and pour the detergente in the water,the props will make big suds just like your sink.Turn around and drive through it fast. that will clean the whole bottom! Dawn is biodegradable! problem sloved!
Old 04-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

The only reasons a boat needs to be clean between the bunks:

You keep on davits and hoist very high, or

You plan to get drunk at beach and let tide go way out and want a shiny hull to reduce your embarrassment, or

you plan to roll the boat, swim to safety and watch the rescue crew slip and slide while trying to rescue you.

If you really want to go through with it, take the easy route. Hire a bulemic, crack-addicted Hooter's whore and pay her to shimmy between the bunk and rub it down.

Jeesh, i gotta spell it out for you.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LaughingCat
The only reasons a boat needs to be clean between the bunks:

You keep on davits and hoist very high, or

You plan to get drunk at beach and let tide go way out and want a shiny hull to reduce your embarrassment, or

you plan to roll the boat, swim to safety and watch the rescue crew slip and slide while trying to rescue you.

If you really want to go through with it, take the easy route. Hire a bulemic, crack-addicted Hooter's whore and pay her to shimmy between the bunk and rub it down.

Jeesh, i gotta spell it out for you.
I know why he wants it's clean, only the back of mine gets dirty!
Attached Thumbnails getting boat off trailer in my back yard: help?-phil%2520picts%2520030%5B1%5D-2-.jpg  
Old 04-21-2009, 08:09 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

www.yardarm.com
Old 04-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Registered

Not that tough or dangerous if done correctly. Work in the field and have unloaded numerous boats of all sizes. Position the boat where you need it to be. The more level the surface the better. It does not matter if you are on concrete or grass or sand. Lower the trailer jack all the way down. At the stern you will build cinder block stacks at each corner. Not single stacks but side by side. Alternate the next two blocks, and the final block #. The corner of the boat must be dead center of your top block of the stack. Finish the stacks with lumber to protect the boat, usually a piece of 2x4. Raise the jack stand and lock the boat into position. I use a engine cherry picker with the legs extended and the boom extended at about a 45 from the bow. This allows more clearance for removing the trailer. Use a rope and cushion and carefully raise the bow till you see daylight between the boat and bunks. thats high enough. Pull the trailer as far forward as the hoist will allow. Build another block stack forward. Usually around 1/3 back from the bow. Approximately windshield position. Set it down gently and remove hoist and trailer. Revers the procedure to reload. If you have any questions call my cell 352-398-5903
Bosco

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.