Like Tree0Likes

Got a serious problem I think... need advice...

Reply
Old 04-18-2009, 03:39 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Detroit, MI/Lake Havasu, AZ
My Boats: Pair o' 700's in a 36
Posts: 729
Default Got a serious problem I think... need advice...

Well, I have been detailing the boat for hours. And I was spraying the floor down with the garden hose as I was scrubbing it. Then I moved onto the vinyl cleaning...

Well when I opened the hatch to get some areas that were covered, I discovered this...

There is water between the stringers, and it doesn't go anywhere. I am assuming water is not supposed to get in there. And as you can tell, the water on the port side stringers sure seems to have some balsa floating in it.

What do I do?







SmurfOnABoat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:56 PM
  #2
Registered
 
RollWithIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
My Boats: 98 Baja 36 Outlaw
Posts: 6,098
Default

I'd pump it out or sponge it out and then start looking for any clogged drains or anyplace the water may be coming from. If it sits there too long you can start to have it soak into the stringers.
RollWithIt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:13 PM
  #3
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Detroit, MI/Lake Havasu, AZ
My Boats: Pair o' 700's in a 36
Posts: 729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollWithIt View Post
I'd pump it out or sponge it out and then start looking for any clogged drains or anyplace the water may be coming from. If it sits there too long you can start to have it soak into the stringers.
I already shop vac'd it out of there, its dry now. But I can't believe this would be normal if the deck got that wet?

Thanks for the input!
SmurfOnABoat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:29 PM
  #4
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 496
Default

Just curious did you just wash the inside of the boat or the boat in general or may be it might be some rain water from sitting, being it is the first time you opened the hatch. Just an idea.
Boat Tech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:33 PM
  #5
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Detroit, MI/Lake Havasu, AZ
My Boats: Pair o' 700's in a 36
Posts: 729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat teck View Post
Just curious did you just wash the inside of the boat or the boat in general or may be it might be some rain water from sitting, being it is the first time you opened the hatch. Just an idea.
No, the boat was dry before this, I washed the deck it was pretty stained, so I soft scrubbed it brushed it. Got it spic and span, and washed it down with a healthy amount of water and boat wash.

Then a few hours later I noticed the water sitting in there.
SmurfOnABoat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:47 PM
  #6
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 496
Default

I'm sorry but I do not know what you mean,So be for you washed the floor did you lift the engine hatch up and look around for any water in there ?
Boat Tech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:32 PM
  #7
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Detroit, MI/Lake Havasu, AZ
My Boats: Pair o' 700's in a 36
Posts: 729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat teck View Post
I'm sorry but I do not know what you mean,So be for you washed the floor did you lift the engine hatch up and look around for any water in there ?
Correct. The engine compartment/bilge were completely dry before I started washing the deck.

The water in there is from me washing the deck.

What I want to know is: Is the water supposed to drain in between the stingers like that? If so, why is the water just sitting there and not draining completely into the bilge? Is there supposed to be drains between those little channels, or is water never supposed to be in there in the first place?
SmurfOnABoat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:48 PM
  #8
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member
 
Griff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Omaha
My Boats: .......32............. ...............Active Thunder....
Posts: 15,748
Default

That depends on how it was originally designed. Generally stringers have holes cut in them near the rear bottom of them for water to drain. From all the crap floating in there, they might be clogged.

I just have to wonder how all the water got in just from washing the deck. It really shouldn't. The only thing I can think of is that it came from your pop up cleats.
Griff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:09 PM
  #9
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Detroit, MI/Lake Havasu, AZ
My Boats: Pair o' 700's in a 36
Posts: 729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
That depends on how it was originally designed. Generally stringers have holes cut in them near the rear bottom of them for water to drain. From all the crap floating in there, they might be clogged.

I just have to wonder how all the water got in just from washing the deck. It really shouldn't. The only thing I can think of is that it came from your pop up cleats.
Well, when I was washing the deck. I sprayed pretty good up near the aft corners (the bottom corners of the rear bench kick panel) so instead of directing the water through the center access panel, quite a bit got pushed into either aft corner, I am assuming how it got into the stringers.

I just did not know if this was normal.
SmurfOnABoat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:24 PM
  #10
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 496
Default

I would say yes this should be normal for how you washed the inside of the boat. If you look to the rear of the boat along the stringers you might see some holes that should be drains. some times you will need to lift the bow up to get it to drain. If you have no holes you might be able to add some holes to it some day if it looks safe to do it.
Boat Tech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.