Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Memphis Audio speakers? amps?  anybody use them? >

Memphis Audio speakers? amps? anybody use them?

Notices

Memphis Audio speakers? amps? anybody use them?

Old 05-31-2011, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 4-pair (8) of the Memphis Audio marine 15-MA8's in my boat. The 8" co-axials have good bass response and sound very good. After one season of lite use, and being covered anytime they were not in use (sunbrella cover), I noticed some cracks developing on the cone area. Also, the stock plastic grilles got very brittle and cracked. I ended up cutting the stock grilles so that only the outer surround was left, then covered them with 8" billet sub grilles.

I called Memphis and got the same thing as ChallenSup - buy another set. Not too happy about that, but I went ahead and bought another pair to replace the cracked ones. Supposedly, the updated design now has better UV resilence, but that remains to be seen.

I have noticed that now another pair have cracked cones. I'm not so thrilled with the idea of replacing two pair of speakers every season, but if I decide to stay with these speakers, it may be the case.

Pics:

Old 02-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Registered

I just purchase two sets so we can see what they do over this next season. The 6.5 set will be mounted on an arch out in the elements so I hope that I don’t see the same cracking that you did.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10', 8's, and 6.5's in my boat. They rip.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I have (8) 8" and (8) 6.5 " speakers in my boat they have been in there for three season and have not had any issues what so ever. No cracking no blown speakers. I have them powered by JL audio amps and they rock I just need to add a few subs and i should be happy .
Old 02-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Registered

I'm sure its the sun, as I've replaced all three sets of speakers that get sun, but not the one set that is under the console out of the sun.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

never had to replace any JL audio speakers