rigged a full stag glad with its
Old 03-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
I thought there were some mirage 29s.
I thought Wolverine (29' Mirage picture from the classic offshore section, Mirage Boat company thread) was a staggered set-up, I could be wrong, I haven't seen the boat in person in over thirty years. Back in the day the race boats had staggered small blocks like Gallo Wines (a 30 something foot boat, not sure if it wazs 30, 31, 32??). Wild Turkey, a 35' Cigarette (located here in NJ) had staggered small blocks at one time. Both are race boats, but as you mentioned. those boats had transmissions.

But I think like you, with todays small blocks, whether it is the old style (for affordability purposes) from a builder like Bill Mitchell, or the newer LS blocks like the LSX (from GM Perfromance Parts), I believe a new 28' Pantera T/S with staggered small blocks would be one helluva boat (for example purposes) with ITS Bravo Drives. I could live with less back seat room, for the improved balance, handling, speed.
Attached Thumbnails
staggered engines-staggered-sb.jpg  

Last edited by Smarty; 03-22-2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Registered

Wolverine & Lil Rhino were 29 Mirage's with staggered set ups. Gazpacho too??
Old 03-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2008 38 Fountain Hair Trigger 2004 38 Fountain and 29 Scarab Sold

From what I have been told on a fountain side by side drives are approximately 36 inches apart a short stagger is around 24-26 and a full stagger is 18 inches apart. Staggered motors lower the center of gravity so the boat is not as tipsy/flies straighter and the drives being closer together are more efficient.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (3)

My Boats: 22 Avanti, 25 Nova, 2 turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree,SBYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdave View Post
not sure if the math was done on it but i looked into staggering my 34 and decided it wouldnt work. I think it may have to do with the shorter boat not being able to handle the CG moving forward as well as down.

Deans 38 Fountain full stagger pivots fine when splitting the drives. A little slower but no prob at all. But than again it IS a Fountain so
It also spins well at pretty much any speed. I heard he will have 'the come in full throttle and bam! pitch a 270 right into the slip' down this season, kind of like ebrake park jobs in the rental car....

[youtube]PWIqbAIoIJ8[/youtube]
Old 03-29-2010, 08:41 AM
Registered

33 Powerplay ...
Old 03-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: boatless

I know staggered gains speed. I'm just sure why. Is it center of gravity? Props being closer together? It probably something simple that I'm just not seeing.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ona-Mission View Post
I know staggered gains speed. I'm just sure why. Is it center of gravity? Props being closer together? It probably something simple that I'm just not seeing.
Where the weight of the boat (overall is distributed). If the boat (anyboat) where to be picked up would it be tail heavy, and fly over wakes with the bow up, or would weight be centered in the boat, with a staggered set-up the engines will sit lower in the boat too since they are not side by side. The engines can be set deeper, and weight distributed for the manufacturer's desired performance result. Lowering the center of gravity, and moving weight forward. With side by side engines, drive and engine can sometimes be mounted high in order to lower gear case hydrodynamic efficiency. The same staggered set-up can mount the engines lower in the boat, and keep an elevated prop shaft for less drag.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Registered

As mentioned before, CG is definitely part of it. The other part of the equation is that a v-hull, with a given amount of power and type of prop, work best with the propshaft at a given depth to the "keel". By moving the drives closer together with the same depth from the keel, the drives can be at a higher x-dimension. Less drive in the water, lower drag for the same leverage on the hull, more speed.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Registered

My Boats: Thoroughbred/Velocity 32'

Sutphen staggered at least one 30 (Inferno) that I know of...small blocks, of course..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmando View Post
I think the shortest boat Cigarette will stagger is their 39. Anybody else know of a full staggered boat shorter than that?