Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Consider Orange Beach, AL. for OPA Worlds! >

Consider Orange Beach, AL. for OPA Worlds!

Notices

Consider Orange Beach, AL. for OPA Worlds!

Old 05-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Consider Orange Beach, AL. for OPA Worlds!

When everyone came down from the Jersey shores in 2003, and made our first race in Orange Beach a smash hit! There's been a connection ever since... I remember the look on Gary Nichols face when he told all of us, he talked to Smitty and the Jersey Boys are coming! Orange Beach is a great fit for this OPA Invitational Worlds.

The Mobile, AL. airport can support huge cargo, air deliveries... this is a no brainer for south Alabama, and the whole coast there. They have a music writers festival in the fall.... It's a magical fit, to consider!

Ray Pusillo
(Coach)
Old 05-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Registered

Just a few clarifications

To my knowledge,the first race in Orange Beach, was the APBA worlds in 2003. And no one was there from OPA, Except some teams that ran APBA primarily and OPA.

OPA showed big SBI support in Deerfield Beach 2003, when the APBA worlds were moved to OB. I think we brought 12 boats down.

OPA also had a big presence in OB 2004, when SBI raced there, and had 2 races that year, in may and august, I believe.

Kurt Burger was running OPA those years. Smitty took the helm in 2005.

I also think many OPA teams will finish their season in Chattanooga, and others will try and race in KW.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:46 AM
Registered

Hey Coach

Why are you taking it upon yourself to pitch a race in Orange Beach when you do not represent Orange Beach and were actually thrown off the race committee in 2003. It is also my understanding, that certain people on the committee had a restraining order against you. Do you care to respond?

Further to my understanding, the city of Clearwater wants nothing to do with any race organization if you are involved. Do you care to comment?