Notices

Ot: Ford V10 ?

Old 03-26-2002, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry it's not a Ford but I just towed my boat home (100miles) with the new ride 2001 2500/Cummins quad cab and got 14mpg at 65-70mph.
Weight is about 6500-6800lbs.
And that was with passing a bunch of slow drivers on a 2 lane road.
There's nothing like a diesel !
Old 03-27-2002, 01:18 AM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

Wink 14????

I think a few of these guy's are getting the gas gauge confused with the oil pressure gauge. I just bought a 99' ext. cab with 25k. Truck is cherry. It came equipped a 5th wheel tow package (not my choice but couldn't pass up $20k). I'm not sure what gears I've got but I can't get better than 10mpg. In town, out of town, driving backwards, etc. etc. IT'S ALWAYS 10. My buddy also has a f250 with a normal set-up and gets the same mpg. Good luck. Great power, better ride, and they look cool as hell towin' a go fast. just my .02
If you think you should slow down, DON'T DO IT MAN! DON'T DO IT!
Old 03-27-2002, 08:07 AM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

Have 2000 Excursdion with 3.73 gears and two wheel drive that I bought in July 2000 and now have 16000 miles on it . In town (freeway and street I get 11.5-12.5) and on the open road I get 14.5 to 15.9 depending on how I drive but usually 70-75. I have not done any mods yet.
Old 03-27-2002, 09:19 AM
MikeStar

Originally posted by Advantage_Rob
I've got two friends that have had the V-10, one bought a new F-250 and sold it after a few months, due to the gas mileage costing him more than he had ever imagined at the peak of last summers gas price surge, but I dont know if he ever got to 2000 miles before he said enough, and sold it. My other friend has an excursion V-10 and he loves it, but this weekend while driveing from detroit to Colombus Ohio, he lost oil pressure and smoked the motor, It's at the dealer now, and they are saying it looks like an oil pump failure and covering it all under warranty at 24,000 miles. I looked at a 2001 excursion limited with the v-10 a few months ago, it had 10K on it, and exhaust and a K&N filter, I took it for a ride and I realized I need one, great power, but I'm looking for a diesel remembering my friends MPG nightmare. I drive all freeway 30 miles each way and the better the mileage the more I like it.
Hey Rob, before you jump on the diesel bandwagon, you might want to crunch the numbers. From what I've seen at www.ford-diesel.com (among other places), you need to hit somewhere between 80,000 and 150,000 miles before you break even, given the initial cost of the diesel, the increased maintenance requirements (15 quarts of oil every change, fuel filters, coolant additive, etc...), etc. Not to mention you'll need to plug that block heater in over the winter, and I don't think Detroit Edison is giving away electricity

Not to rain on the diesel parade - I'd love one myself, but I just can't justify the added cost, maintenance, and hassle. OTOH, the Powerstroke is hands down the coolest beast on the road, and we all know that's worth something!!

jr on the board here just bought an Excursion with a powerstroke not too long ago, maybe he'll check in. Jeff, you out there??

Old 03-27-2002, 09:54 AM
Registered

Thanks mike, I definitely am one to look into things before I jump on the bandwagon. One of my friends just picked up a 2001 PSD f-250 w/20,000 miles on it. It's only a been a few weeks though, but I'm waiting to see how he likes it after a few months. He doesn't tow anything, & drives about 3 miles to work every day, just felt the need for the truck, which I can understand. I'm a bit leary of the v-10, mileage & reliability related, and the V8 just isn't enough punch, I drive 40,000 miles a year, and tow my boat, and a friends 35 cafe racer all the time, snowmobiles in the winter, and quads in the summer. A diesel excursion seems to be exactly what fit's my needs. I love the look of the truck, enough to be able to live with the crappy looking dash. I have a heated attached garage, but it worries me about stinking my house up with diesel fumes, so there are issues I need to look into still, and my friends input is a big part of it. I just heard from someone here at work that there is a new body style coming out for the excursion and that they saw one yesterday. That should bring the price of the current one down a bit if that is true. I'm finding the best prices at dealers actually, but I'll wait a few more months before I do anything. Just quick calculations I think a diesel will cost about $3000 less in fuel costs per year.
Old 03-27-2002, 10:32 AM
MikeStar

Hey this is somewhat OT, but maybe your friend can clear it up. Whenever I see a station that sells diesel, the price is always listed as "$x.xx, with state sticker" - what the hell is a "state sticker?"

Does this mean that you have to have your vehicle registered as a commercial truck to get that price? If so, what do the rest of us pay?

And I love your choice of vehicle - I'd be driving a diesel Excursion myself if it were up to me. Side note, the Mrs is getting her new 2002 Mercury Mountaineer today. I know it's just a gussied-up Explorer, but she (and me!) like the interior and exterior better than the Explorer. And you don't see one on every corner.

Old 03-27-2002, 10:41 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife has a 2001 Excursion Limited with V-10 that is her daily driver. She and I will tell it is one hell of a great all around do everything vehicle. It has 3.73 rear end and all the power you could ask for.

But we have never seen mileage as good as some on her have posted. I know of two friends running V-10's and our church has a van with V-10 and none have ever see 14-15 MPG. We pretty much get between 10 and 11 MPG all day long. The only long trip we have taken was pulling the boat (6500 Lbs) to Miami last winter. We run 70 MPH and the A/C some and were between High nine to low ten MPG. I find that the mileage does not change much when towing. The engine sure sounds GREAT.
Old 03-27-2002, 10:44 AM
Registered

That's a commercial vehicle price, I'm not sure what the difference is, but there is a place by me that doesn't charge that extra ammount to anyone, I think it's a state sales tax or something, I don't know how they get away with not charging everyone though.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:14 PM
jr

Rob, I just bought a PSD Excursion 4x4 about 6 months ago. A couple of things. I like the truck, size, and towing. The engine has been great. But... the front suspension absolutely sucks. I will need to put on better springs, and shocks inorder to get it to ride right. I have 1 inch clearance between the bump stop on one side of the axle and less than 1/2 on the other. What this means is that I get the feeling of bottoming out on the front. A F-250 HD crew cab here at work has about 3.5 inches. I read somewhere that they use the same springs on the PSD as the V10 and 5.4 but the PSD weights hundreds of pounds more. The crappy shocks also allow way too much movement. Also the rear end needs a sway bar. The ass end gets to rolling around and it starts to drag you around. Pulling the boat around is great. I'm pulling about 8500-9000 lbs. The truck is very happy with it.

If you buy and X, make an appointment with a spring shop and drive it from the dealer to the shop and have better springs, shocks, and a sway bar put on.

You mentioned that you have a heated garage. It will stink up your house. Although not as much as if you had a unheated garage. Mine smokes like an SOB on a cold morning. My neighbor call the first morning we had it and asked if it was on fire. But that settles down in a couple minutes. If you drive 40,000 a year get the PSD if your going to keep it. I don't care how heavy duty a gas engine is made, it won't outlast a diesel.

Would I buy it again. Yes. But I would have the springs waiting when I got home.

Old 03-27-2002, 12:44 PM
Registered

I don't like the idea of the garage smelling like diesel fuel, but I'm sure I could seal the entry door better to keep the smell limited to the garage only. Thanks for the input on the springs. I tow a 7000lb boat on an aluminum trailer so it should be great with an X PSD 4x4. How's that for acronyms!!! It's like being here at work, acronyms for everything.

Quick Reply: Ot: Ford V10 ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.