Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why havent they marinized any dual overhead cam motors??? >

Why havent they marinized any dual overhead cam motors???

Notices

Why havent they marinized any dual overhead cam motors???

Old 06-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hay pat i totaly agree rich should know the valve train takes a beating in offshore thats why the over head valves and cams
Old 06-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just adding to the DOHC list of engines.

LAMBO!!! They have been winning the Euro offshore championship for a number of years now. 8 ltr, 1000 hp NA. They sound great too. But as others have said, they cost a ton of $$$$$$$.

Darrell.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my uncle worked for Batten and I seen them bada$$ engines they conjured up.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:47 AM
psi
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ohc..

Hey Guys, well I have always felt the same way about overhead cam engines. I currently own a 08 Eliminator Daytona 25 with a 3.0L 6 cylinder turbo, makes about 800 HP and its definately been a handful in getting all the components together to work correctly. From gear ratio changes, to props, to reconfiguring certain engine components just to get the thing on plane have been tuff, but the boat has ran 98MPH at 6200 RPM with a 26 Bravo 1 and its got about a 7500 RPM redline and Im not gonna quit till i get to about 115 MPH. I know what you guys are thinkin as far as reliability, well I plan on pushing it and Ill keep everyone posted on the progress, and fuel savings are great, especially since gas is creeping back up, also my next step is bigger prop, ethanol fuel and raising my X dimension....heres a video with 4 people at about 88 MPH at about 5600 RPM....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2rIhP47dHI
Old 06-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by psi
Hey Guys, well I have always felt the same way about overhead cam engines. I currently own a 08 Eliminator Daytona 25 with a 3.0L 6 cylinder turbo, makes about 800 HP and its definately been a handful in getting all the components together to work correctly. From gear ratio changes, to props, to reconfiguring certain engine components just to get the thing on plane have been tuff, but the boat has ran 98MPH at 6200 RPM with a 26 Bravo 1 and its got about a 7500 RPM redline and Im not gonna quit till i get to about 115 MPH. I know what you guys are thinkin as far as reliability, well I plan on pushing it and Ill keep everyone posted on the progress, and fuel savings are great, especially since gas is creeping back up, also my next step is bigger prop, ethanol fuel and raising my X dimension....heres a video with 4 people at about 88 MPH at about 5600 RPM....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2rIhP47dHI
Thats very cool. Is that a Supra engine? I would love to see pics of the whole package, in and out
Old 06-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Registered

The simple answer is economics. Volume generally reduces costs, and big chevy's have the market share.

Big iron works good in boats, whereby weight is not the primary concern.

Big block chevy's are the industry standard, and most people like standardization for practical reasons like repair.

And the cheapest way to make horsepower (within reason) is cubic inches and supercharging. The larger iron castings of big block chevy's are suited to the "industrial" use of marine duty considering the thick webbing, and larger journals of a BBC than of most overhead cam v-8's.

And drag racers have been developing the product(in addition to the factory) for 60 years. Thousands of guys cutting up and rewelding cylinder heads adds to a great deal of collective development. Millions have machined BBCs blocks, cranks, etc, so there is a hugh knowledge base. Most BBC's are iron, and most overhead v8's are aluminum, and Iron is more stable than aluminum. In F1 the weight tradeoff is worth it- on a 42 apache,32 sea ray- not so much.

For the marine environment, a new engine architecture (vs. standard 90 degree chevy BBC) equals a solution for a non problem.

I still think is stupid for GM to have a Northstar v8, and a corvette v8 (ls whatever) installed in the same platform (vette and lxr), but we know about their business model....

I'm sure the toyota v8 is fine, but what marine mechanics have worked on one? Even toyota gave up trying to gain market share in the marine industry(ski boats that is).

If you got the money, you can buy lambos. I'll use the money saved for another boat........
Old 06-25-2009, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 601 Likes on 244 Posts

The little 315 Yanmar diesel is actauly a Toyota motor maranized
Old 06-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tommymonza
The little 315 Yanmar diesel is actauly a Toyota motor maranized
I'm referring to gas v8's. Not talking diesel or commercial use.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:58 PM
TOL
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
The last Jesse James project we did (The 48 footer) had 4 Batten DOHC 4 valve engines (900 hp naturally aspirated allegedly). The motors were the Achilles heel of the boat. The basic problem was we took a 30 million dollar project (Marinizing and perfecting a DOHC aluminum V8) and tried to do it for 3 million. The end result were motors that had about 5 minutes of dependable life in the boat.

I agree with the earlier posters.....why reinvent the wheel when there is so much dependable HP and torque available?

T2x

Agreed T2x,

The Batten DOHC got out the door before it was fully/appropriately R&D'd, from what I can gather, originally. That resulted in much of the bad sentiment you express.

Too bad, as the engineering fixes only required a wee bit of "enginuity".
Old 08-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dueclaws
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQwvSbQFA9U

I heard someone marinized this engine.
I just asked that question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.