Like Tree0Likes

Light Duty Anchors......Fortress

Reply
Old 06-02-2009, 08:59 AM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Manhasset, NY
My Boats: Sonic 358 Diablo
Posts: 1,942
Default Light Duty Anchors......Fortress

I have a Fortress anchor for my 35' Sonic..... this anchor is rated for a 35' to 40' boat........ the anchor sets 1st shot in our muddy bottoms and holds well...... My problem is I hate lugging the thing out of the cabin and pulling it up when done for the day. I was considering getting the same anchor but much smaller. I usually only anchor on calm days in semi closed bays...... anyone else use an anchor that is under rated for there boat.......?? How does it hold on calm days....?
Here's Johnny is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:16 AM
  #2
S.O.B (single O/B) now
Platinum Member
 
t500hps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 7,919
Default

I carry a second smaller anchor just like you describe......ususally use it to anchor the rear of the boat when backed up to the beach though. It would hold as you describe if needed.
t500hps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:23 AM
  #3
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
BeakBoater35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 1000 Islands, New York
My Boats: 1997 Fountain 35 Lightening
Posts: 194
Default

Yep, I carry a Fortress conservetively rated for the boat and another small anchor, with smaller line, that I use as a "day anchor"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here's Johnny View Post
I have a Fortress anchor for my 35' Sonic..... this anchor is rated for a 35' to 40' boat........ the anchor sets 1st shot in our muddy bottoms and holds well...... My problem is I hate lugging the thing out of the cabin and pulling it up when done for the day. I was considering getting the same anchor but much smaller. I usually only anchor on calm days in semi closed bays...... anyone else use an anchor that is under rated for there boat.......?? How does it hold on calm days....?
BeakBoater35 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:54 AM
  #4
Member #154
Platinum Member
 
Indy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SW CT & Long Island Sound
My Boats: Missing my PowerPlay
Posts: 6,756
Default

I threw away my Fortress anchor and got a Box Anchor and it was the best boating accessory purchase I ever made. I got the large one and it worked great, however many here use the smaller one with equal results. The large is probably 1000 time heavier than your Fortress, but the small might be the ticket. Maybe someone will chime in here if they own one.
Indy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:49 PM
  #5
JB Marshall
Gold Member
 
J.B. Marshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
My Boats: Formula, 382 Fastech - SOLD
Posts: 940
Default

I have an aluminum Fortress (don't remember the model), it breaks down and is stowed in it's own slim nylon carry case and I store it in one of side gunnels. It takes about 90 seconds to put together to drop into the water.
J.B. Marshall is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:25 PM
  #6
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Rockwood MI. Kalkaska MI. Sopron Hungary.
My Boats: 37 Active Thunder / Arneson, 28 Apache CC
Posts: 1,551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. Marshall View Post
I have an aluminum Fortress (don't remember the model), it breaks down and is stowed in it's own slim nylon carry case and I store it in one of side gunnels. It takes about 90 seconds to put together to drop into the water.
I use the FX-16 and you can break it down and store it in the carry bag, also carry the Commando as a second anchor for when you back up to the beach, perfect set up.
laszlo01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:41 PM
  #7
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member
 
Stormrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
My Boats: 2003 28 Pantera - SOLD
Posts: 8,810
Default

A small box anchor would do.
Stormrider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:49 PM
  #8
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Manhasset, NY
My Boats: Sonic 358 Diablo
Posts: 1,942
Default

I have a large box anchor and use to use it on my old 25'.... It would catch first shot but with the mud on the south shore I would always drift throughout the day. I think I am gonna try the small Fortress... My current one holds like I was tied to a building..... A small one should hold me on calm days.... Thanks guys......
Here's Johnny is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:15 PM
  #9
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
glassdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: toledo oh
My Boats: Batboat, 38 Scarab Thunder, 16 Sidewinder, 27 Magnum
Posts: 12,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeakBoater35 View Post
Yep, I carry a Fortress conservetively rated for the boat and another small anchor, with smaller line, that I use as a "day anchor"...
same here. on the 38 i have the correct sized anchor for the boat and a smaller one that i use most of the time. In fact i think i have only had the big one out like once or twice to hold a big raft line. If its to rough out there for me to set with the small anchor i'm probably not gonna be out there anyway, thats no fun. I do keep a big one stowed for emergency use.
__________________
Throttles- Cleveland Construction 377 Talon
08 OPA Class 1 National Champion
08 Class 1 Geico Triple Crown Champion
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
glassdave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:24 PM
  #10
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Manhasset, NY
My Boats: Sonic 358 Diablo
Posts: 1,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdave View Post
same here. on the 38 i have the correct sized anchor for the boat and a smaller one that i use most of the time. In fact i think i have only had the big one out like once or twice to hold a big raft line. If its to rough out there for me to set with the small anchor i'm probably not gonna be out there anyway, thats no fun. I do keep a big one stowed for emergency use.
sounds like a plan....
Here's Johnny is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.