Anybody Run West 1/2 Lake Erie?? >

Anybody Run West 1/2 Lake Erie??

Notices

Anybody Run West 1/2 Lake Erie??

Old 03-28-2002, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 1,827 Likes on 716 Posts
Thumbs up RIGHT ON!!

They are every where!! Unbelievable history on the bottom!!
Leamington has a Museum and organization called "Erie Quest" that is all about finding/marking and preserving those wrecks.
They (you) have 13 wrecks marked with floats all within a few miles of the Point Pelee Park.
We tried finding them last year and could'nt.
We got there too late in the season and the floats were already out and I did'nt have my GPS yet.
Thought I could find them by using my chart since they are listed.
NOTTTTTTTTT!
Spent 2 hrs idiling around looking for them and thinking every Sea Gull was a feaking clorox bottle!!
If you are thinking about it, you should definately make the plunge!!
The Zebra mussles are doing an amazing job of cleaning/clearing the water.
We have dove 2 one hundred year old steamers so far.
One right off of the light house on Pelee Island , and one on the South end of Lellies.
We (US) are just now looking at marking/protecting wrecks in our waters. Way behind you Canadians!
Think this year they have approval/funding to to start this at/around Kellies Island.
What do you have for a boat??
The run from Leamington to Pelee is awesome and one of my favorites!!
About 15 miles as a crow flies. Excellent land marks in good visibilty both ways.
Pelee is one of our favrite hang outs.
Very secluded, almost barron.
Beautiful protected harbor on North end. Nice bar/restaurant at foot of dock. Great winery on opposite side of island.
They also just finished a total restoration of their 100+ year old light house.
Very few cars, perfect place for bicycles.
Best beach in Lake Erie on South end.
That beach is also the best place in the Lake to watch 4th of July fireworks!!
If it's clear, you can see Cedar Ponits (25 mi), Put in Bays (15-20 mi) and Kellies Island all at the same time.
Watched on year when mother nature decided to come along and steal the show.
Huge thunderstorm (lighning show) in the distance behind the fireworks display.
Simply incredible, once in a life time!!
Another bonus to Pelee is, hitting the beach early season when its still covered with drift/fire wood
Have had the bon fires from hell on that beach!!
If the weather breaks, we will try and head up next weekend. (first of April)
Old 03-28-2002, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Twin, I found a sight that has GPS co-ordinates of all the wrecks in the lakes. If I find it I will send you the link.

You sound like you know the lake pretty good. I have really only run to PIB on Erie from the Detroit River and from Leamington. I had to do the trip from Lighthouse Cove on Lake St. Clair at least once. That is where my boat lives so must of the time I'm out there. I did go all the way down the St. Clair River and up Huron to Grand Bend last year. That was a long but great trip. You can be tour guide this summer!

I currently have an 86 24' Liberator with twin 260 HP SBC's (for now). I am just finishing up the winter upgrades. She got new drives, props, tie-bar, carpet, vinyl, dash panels, switches, controls, gauges, steering wheel. Everything but paint and motors. Oh ya, added 2 subs and another amp too! Can't wait to get it finished and out on the water. I want to splash in April for sure! Us crazy Canadians can take the cold.
Old 03-28-2002, 02:20 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Milord

Already have the GPS corridinates, thanx!
And yeah I know about you freakin Canucks and the cold
Have good friends up North.
We were on the beach of Pelee April fools day last season.
I am JONESING BAD!!
Your boat sounds nice, e me some pictures if you have any.
It ought to run good!
Check out the link bellow to an event I did last year for the little boats and am doing again this year.
Had 2 brothers that drove down from Toronto.
Probably a dozen coming down this Ausgust, half already reserved rooms!
http://www.rumbleontheriver.com/
Have you ever ben to Caspers Landing, just east of Leamington??
We stayed ther one weekend when Leamington was full and right across the lagoon were 1/2 dozen lifts with some bad ass Deep Vees in them.
Couple of Cigarettes and I think Fountains. At least one of them had Speed Masters!!

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 03-28-2002 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-28-2002, 02:26 PM
Registered

Thumbs up PS

If the weather is decent next month, you should definately toss the boat in at Leamington and make run to Pelee.
Straight shot, deep water, and can see the island as soon as you get out of the Leamington harbor.
Only thing to watch for early season is all your freakin Canadian fishing nets!!
They will get your attention in a big ass hurry!
Old 03-28-2002, 02:37 PM
Registered

TwinOBSonic, Nice ride. I like the description of the lightning/fireworks show, sounds cool, I've got a good view south from the north end of lake st clair, and I watch storms lighting up the sky, then look at the weather channel and they are over cleveland and it amazes me. I can definitely relate to that!! And this whole wally thing, I've spent my fair share of time on erie, and a trailer to port clinton is sounding real nice, after some of the **** that lake has thrown at me before!! The Damn commercial fishing nets to weave thru, sand bars, insane waves from everywhere all at once. I like st clair, it gets stupid once in a while, Erie is way unpredictable. Let me know when you come up to port huron, me and my cronies do that trip a few times a year.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, midwestconnection.com has a page on thier site dedicated to diving the great lakes shipwrecks that you might like to check out.

Last edited by Advantage_Rob; 03-28-2002 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2002, 03:53 PM
Registered

Twin, I have never been to Caspers Landing, where is it at Kingsville?

I'll send you some pics of the boat in the next couple of weeks when it is all back together.
Old 03-28-2002, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

HEY I'm a lake Erie guy... mostly out of Cleve burg.. I thinks we need an OSO party !!!!!! the islands ??? Vermillion?? Huron?? what ya think ???? ... flats???
Old 03-28-2002, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cleveland OSO Party !!!!

Now your talkin Dave !!!

Meet in the flats, quick run to ???? for " 1 or 2 " then back to the flats for some eats and ?????

Just to get the season started .... oh wait , still snow on the ground
Old 03-28-2002, 04:25 PM
Registered

OSO Party suggestion-
Meet at an Ohio mainland location for a beverage, then head to an island for another, continue on Canada's mainland.

Just a thought.
Old 03-28-2002, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Sounds good to me Jer !!! one more month and I'm good to go!! snow on the ground,, but no ice on the lake!!

Quick Reply: Anybody Run West 1/2 Lake Erie??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.