Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ? >

Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?

Notices

Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?

Old 06-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem is the water will be aerated from the hull so the fluid flow equations won't equate to reality very well.

Best way is trial and error. Run the boat and make a test rig that you mount on the back. Use the bent pipe you intend to run and figure out how to mount it at different heights (1/2" increment adjustments). Clamp a test pipe to the transom and see at various depth levels of the intake what the flow out the top of the pipe is.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BBB725
Rob I took these of a cat at the Miami Boat show, I hope these help

Ive been looking at the race boats,most have the relief,my hull is about 1/2 thick, I tried that before taking the old one off about .050 it was into the green foam coring at 3/8 it would probably be touching the other side The way my notch is short that would hurt me,I had to go to all this just to get it at 1/4.the relief would make it catch more water and no adjustably up.

I know I am going to have to test,and adjust it,One thing I have going for me ,my bud put it into cad and we can mod any of it now,the lower tube is as tight as the make it,I could shorten the tubing and May get a 2 inch radi if I have to ,the tubing is only 15.00

WARPARTY36,Bubba I need to do that anyway,I would think the stainless braid hose would hold up to that pressure?that would suck it would water spot all my polishing

freshwaterfiend I was thinking to use the math figures of water flow,comparison between the to angles make on flow,use that a base,(give me idea with flows more) I am assuming the slower radi would be more? less been ,or the the sharper will have a long throat to garb more,I know in fitting the tighter radi and like 90's hurts flow,but like you said aerated water?

thanks for all the input ,keep it coming
Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I belive that you could have achieved a much better result with the ones you currently have (it is not to late) just by radiusing the bottom of the boat into the pickup.

The Hustlers do not like a lot of pickup hanging down.

The radiused one is (in theory) a better flow design so if you have to use it you are not loosing. I would install it and then you will have to scarf tube to fit the bottom and also radius the bottom into the pickup tube so that you do not have to lower the tube that much and create to much drag.

Watch your water pressure and you can adjust the depth to compensate. 15-20 psi is ideal.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry Rob, the only fluid dynamics I know is the vodka flowing down my throat.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Catmando
Sorry Rob, the only fluid dynamics I know is the vodka flowing down my throat.
ya better dilute it, it will restrict out going flow and rust out your pipes

Old 06-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob I'm running the ones that Whipple supplied and have them flush with the bottom of the hull. Then they run though sand strainers I got from CP Performance (Hardin). I have them dumping out the sides of the hull and I look back from time to time and they are spraying like a son of a gun.

I can only imagine that those pick ups you have are going to blow the lines off the fittings!
Attached Thumbnails Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?-lkn-4-09-2009-001.jpg   Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?-lkn-4-09-2009-003.jpg   Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?-lkn-4-09-2009-008.jpg  

Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?-imgp4675.jpg   Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?-12-11-2008-081-medium-.jpg  
Old 06-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
Rob I'm running the ones that Whipple supplied and have them flush with the bottom of the hull. Then they run though sand strainers I got from CP Performance (Hardin). I have them dumping out the sides of the hull and I look back from time to time and they are spraying like a son of a gun.

I can only imagine that those pick ups you have are going to blow the lines off the fittings!

Thanks for the info Mark. Mine came with the same 2 pickups,at that time I called Dustin and he recommended I could run one Imco offshore style ,that would supply enough for both inner coolers, See I am running one Hardin sea strainer,The water coming into the strainer is 1 1/4 hose,coming out #12 to each innercooler,#12 dumping over board,Dustin said this would be plenty of water set up like this,I got scared and starting thinking I might be on the ragged edge? What if I get some lower octane than stated on the 93 pump Its been like this for 3 years with no problems,never hurt anything,.I made up a water pressure gage to ck it at the innercooler inlet,it had no pressure at all.Dustin saw all my vids and pressure testing info.So thats why I am changing it. Also I am making it shorter, if it has to be adjusted more than a 1/2 down I'm thinking it will have too much drag.I'm figuring 2 hanging down 1/4 would be less drag that one at 1/2 or over dragging,I'm guessing? I can build another and have 2 pickups supplying the one sea strainer.But everybody is telling me that I will have to much water now,Thats also why I wanted it adjustable.

any sugestions ?

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?-11-07-2-081.jpg   Help, Anybody know Fluid dynamics,water flow, Pickup Tube ?-620-913202.jpg  

Old 12-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Baja555 the teauge and Imco pickup are for sale, also the dumps.

ill get ya some close up picks

Thanks
Rob