Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
two spd axles-low mpg trucks ??? >

two spd axles-low mpg trucks ???

Notices

two spd axles-low mpg trucks ???

Old 03-27-2002, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default two spd axles-low mpg trucks ???

As many threads as I have seen regarding tow vehicles and complaints of low mileage, partly due to low rear axle ratios and big V10's or diesels.....has anyone EVER tried a two speed rear axle? High ratio numerically for towing & low for normal cruising?
Are these not available as aftermarket? This would seem like a viable solution. How about it? Would this offset the advantages of the diesel and warrant a V10 then? Better mpg & great towing?
Any experience out there????
Old 03-27-2002, 01:32 PM
Registered

I recall an uncle who farms talking about this years and years ago. I think it was a couple of thousand $$ then, and forced the manual shifter to be moved back several inches. (My memory is fuzzy, and we are talking roughly 20 years ago).

Personally, I would like to see a "road gear" in these trucks, as that is where most fuel savings can be had.
Old 03-27-2002, 01:38 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a overdrive/underdrive unit that replaces the transmissions tail shaft. The company's name is Gear Vendors. Anyways, the unit is very beefy and strong, but there's a problem with 4wdr trucks in that the unit goes after the transfer case. So you can only be in the 1:1 ratio when you are in 4wdr.
Old 03-27-2002, 03:09 PM
Registered

Default GV for sale

The gear vendors unit mentioned is a good unit- I've got a friend selling one that is not very old and was on his dodge - it may fit other trucks too-I'd have to check- good price of $1500.

I have run with these on buddys trucks towing out west- if you've got 4.10's I would not be without one. I prefer my 3.55's and 300 hp 700 ft lb Cummins to get the job done.

These units go on the back of the tranny and require a shortened rear drive shaft.

If you drive tow in areas where you never get above 70 it probably is not worth it. Just my .02

Blown Formula- I'm only 100 miles away if you are considering for your truck.
Old 03-27-2002, 03:46 PM
Registered

Cord & others....I went to the Gear Vendors web page. Each drive unit has a case designed for the specific model of truck it is to be installed on. As such, the Dodge will not fit a Ford unit.

The overdrive unit is attached to the rear of the transfer case and is electronically locked out in 4x4 mode. This is perfect for our needs.

Now I just need to buy a bigger truck!!
Old 03-27-2002, 03:55 PM
Registered

Default Same transfer cases??

BF- sometimes manufacturers use the same supplier for Transfer cases- I know dodge has the NP241 and that chevy has also used the 241 but I suspect most of the Ford's use Borg Warner.

Good luck!
Old 03-27-2002, 04:15 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I believe that the Gear Vendors unit uses the same case, but different adapters depending on the transmission.
Old 03-27-2002, 04:33 PM
Registered

Cord: According to gear vendors.....OTHER manufacturers use adapters. Their cases are all model/truck specific. This does not mean that two manufacturers cannot use a common gear transfer case, but Ford & GM do not. Dodge may? That's why you can buy a GMC truck with it Factory Installed (per the web page). Your dealer can buy & install it also.
Evidently this/these units have been in use for some time. I wonder why no one has tried them that's on this forum????? to improve mileage when not towing. It sounds like the "ticket" to me!