Any CAD/CAM/CNC gurus on here?

Old 06-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We use work NC and rtm lemoine
Old 06-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You might want to try "CoCreate" from PTC (PTC is the parent company for ProE). They purchased it from someone else and have done some upgrades on it. I have the free "personal" version at home and like it. It is basically an earlier version that is crippled, but you can try it this way before buying it.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should take a close look at Solidworks/Camworks. Camworks is integrated into Solidworks. Solidworks is easy to learn and use plus it's a very powerful solid modeling solution. If you make a change to the part after tool path has been put to it you simply regenerate tool path and the changes of the model are taken into account.

Cost is the same as Mastercam, about $10k for a 3d package and 15k for a multi axis package. That includes the post processor.

Call the Camworks guys and they will come to your shop and show you how it works.

I feel the advantage over Mastercam is that Solidworks is a much more powerful design package.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also would go with Solidworks/Camworks as the great choice!! Mastercam is over priced for what you get...The big thing is make sure they have a post for your machine. Depending how old your machine is, posts somtimes become a problem and make sure the the post is included, when you purchase your CAD/CAM. We also use a CAD/CAM pakage call Cimatron, that is very high end and works great for 5 axis... good luck!
Old 06-11-2009, 08:51 AM
CNC
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm a CNC shop, I have been using Mastercam for 20+ years. I have bought and tried others (surfcam etc) Always came back to MC. I use Solidworks for the cad side,. MC now integrates inside SW. For 3D work Delcam can't be beat but MC is getting very close. I will be going to a MC seminar to see there latest release (X4) on the June 26. I'm told it is awesome. The support from MC can't be beat.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MC is a very popular CAM software and has improved over the years. We run a mold shop of about 15 CNC's of vertical. horizontals including two 5 axis machines. We have Surfcam, Mastercam, and Cimatron as programming software's, and when we look at the way the programs cut and did time studies between all three, Cimatron blows them all away. We also hired a CNC operator/programmer, that until he started with us, has only used MC and after a year, he is just blown away by Cimatron. BUT, it really depends on the type of work you do, as to the best software for you. Every CAM software his it's strong points and weak points, for example, Cimatron is very poor for 2d programming, for 2d we go to Surfcam or MC....