Like Tree0Likes

looking for advice on an offshore - first time owner

Old 06-26-2009, 09:05 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdog View Post
Depends on what you mean by "Outperform"....Is it faster in smooth water ? Yes...Is it a better ride in the rough? No...Is it as well built? No..Does it have the same room ? No..Is it as "dry" a ride ? No
dry ride?
are the top guns wider?
do they have step hauls?

Thanks
Old 06-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Registered

My Boats: Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbenny View Post
dry ride?
are the top guns wider?
do they have step hauls?

Thanks
You wont get into a stepped T/G for 80k...They are 8' beam
You said you boat on the great lakes...Rivers and smaller lakes the Fountains run past me...On Erie...Not often...
The 42 Fountains seem to do real well Though
T/Gs have alot of Freeboard..Makes for a nice dry ride
Old 06-26-2009, 09:16 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdog View Post
You wont get into a stepped T/G for 80k...They are 8' beam
You said you boat on the great lakes...Rivers and smaller lakes the Fountains run past me...On Erie...Not often...
The 42 Fountains seem to do real well Though
T/Gs have alot of Freeboard..Makes for a nice dry ride

so why do you say that they have more room if the beams are both 8'?
Do you know what year the step haul came out?
42 is to big for me for now
Old 06-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2004 29 Outlaw

The 38 Top Gun is approx 5' longer than a 35 Fountain due to Fountain measuring the molded in swim platform. Top Gun is roomier (longer) in the cockpit, cabin, and engine compartment. Stepped hulls started in 1995 on the Fountain and 2000 on the Cigarette. For 80K you're probably going to have to go older than 10 years old on a Top Gun.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeng View Post
The 38 Top Gun is approx 5' longer than a 35 Fountain due to Fountain measuring the molded in swim platform. Top Gun is roomier (longer) in the cockpit, cabin, and engine compartment. Stepped hulls started in 1995 on the Fountain and 2000 on the Cigarette. For 80K you're probably going to have to go older than 10 years old on a Top Gun.
good information - thanks
so if I was running in a 3-4 foot chop what do you think a TG would run in MPHs - will I reach the 80's?
So in your opinion this is an all around good boat... run fast, go swimming and even stay over night once in a while and of course some poker runs.
Do they come with Gen and A/C?
Old 06-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2004 29 Outlaw

Quote:
so if I was running in a 3-4 foot chop what do you think a TG would run in MPHs - will I reach the 80's?
So in your opinion this is an all around good boat... run fast, go swimming and even stay over night once in a while and of course some poker runs.
Speed will depend on power. Some straight bottom Top Guns won't break 70, some run 100+. 80 will take decent power, probably at least 650 HP per side if not more. I've never seen a Top Gun from the 90s with a generator and AC. More of a hard core offshore performance boat.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way buy you need to spend some time reading the boards, looking at classifieds, visiting dealers in your area, etc to decide what you want. Being a first time buyer, 80K budget, wanting to overnight, etc. I think I would stick with smaller, newer boats. Something like a 34 Powerquest, 31 or 35 Formula, 29 - 36 Bajas, 31 or 35 Sonics, etc. These all have nice cabins and most will run 70+ with stock merc power. You won't be running at the front of the pack in the poker runs but you also won't get burried under a ton of maintenance/rebuild costs. JMO.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: Cigarette - Cafe Racer

Quote:
3-4 foot chop in a TG will take 650/side on a flat bottom TG to run around 80.

Not many will have Gen and A/C. When i was shopping I was looking for A/C, but didn't end up getting it. Truthfully, I thought I would install it down the road, but never did and don't plan too - my wife and I stay on the boat at LEAST a dozen nights a summer and are never uncomfortable.

Jmeng Above makes GOOD points. Get some research under your belt on this board and others....
Old 06-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeng View Post
Speed will depend on power. Some straight bottom Top Guns won't break 70, some run 100+. 80 will take decent power, probably at least 650 HP per side if not more. I've never seen a Top Gun from the 90s with a generator and AC. More of a hard core offshore performance boat.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way buy you need to spend some time reading the boards, looking at classifieds, visiting dealers in your area, etc to decide what you want. Being a first time buyer, 80K budget, wanting to overnight, etc. I think I would stick with smaller, newer boats. Something like a 34 Powerquest, 31 or 35 Formula, 29 - 36 Bajas, 31 or 35 Sonics, etc. These all have nice cabins and most will run 70+ with stock merc power. You won't be running at the front of the pack in the poker runs but you also won't get burried under a ton of maintenance/rebuild costs. JMO.
no offense taking at all. I am not rushing this.
I want to stay away from bouncing to much on a smaller boat. I don't expect to run at the front with the big dogs at the poker runs... I will look at some powerquests, fomulas and sonics, not a big fan of the baja's

Definitely don't want to get buried in maintenance/rebuild costs... nothing worse than a boat in the shop during the summer
Old 06-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 17' Speedliner Cat & O.P.B.

Quote:
do you know how I could get in touch / see some pics?
I forgot to attach the link! Sorry.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o23739-en.html
Old 06-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

My Boats: 36' Apache Warrior / 22' Apache Scout

A production boat like a Fountain, Formula or Donzi with stock power are a good start IMHO. There's a lot of them out there and easy to sell if you're not happy. The price is reasonable and they run well with small power.

Once you have some time under your belt you'll probably want to move up or out into more of a custom built boat.