Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   "Classic" OSO posts............can you find them? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/212526-classic-oso-posts-can-you-find-them.html)

PhantomChaos 07-08-2009 01:58 AM

"Classic" OSO posts............can you find them?

I'll start:

First, I want to introduce myself. My name is Joy. I am the daughter of Fred. I was told that the new convo on OSO was about bashing my father. Having a little fire in my blood after reading this, it has driven me to respond.

First, let me tell you what's it's like trying to serve your breed of customers.

My father began this company as a hobby because he had such a passion for powerboating. It was apart of his life and he has made it a part of mine. He spent countless hours in our home packaging parts until it became successful enough to transform into an actual business. Both of my parents, as well as James, put forth massive amounts of effort into this business. But eventually my father began boating less and less and his passion for boating began to diminish. I never understood why until I began working at Trick. Never in my life have I dealt with so many SPOILED & RUDE middle aged men. So many of the customer's had unrealistic expectations with time frames on anticipated delivery. Especially with custom parts. The BIGGEST thing that surprised me was how people would complain about cost! As you all know, Trick was based on providing its customers with parts for the lowest prices possible. Needless to say, my experiences with a majority of our customers caused me to lose interest in boating as well. There was no fun in it anymore. I thought about boating and associated it with rude individuals.

It baffles me that so many of you are concerned with Trick Marine and "Where's Fred?!" How you could spend countless hours on here bashing my father....MANY OF YOU ARE ALSO PEOPLE THAT I AM SURE MY FATHER UNSELFISHLY GAVE HIS TIME TO GIVE ADVICE OR HELP. Sometimes I wish people could step back and possibly look at the big picture but it doesn't seem to work that way. Instead, you try to add fuel to a fire, stir the pot a little & see how far you can go in bashing my father. Needless to say alot of you seem to forget all the kind things my father has done; taking so much of his time to answer questions of clueless boaters, refunding products because after the part sat unused for months until the customer decided no to used it, but most of all I WATCHED BOTH OF MY PARENTS SPEND HOURS ON END WORKING THEIR ASSES OFF TO MAKE A BUSINESS SUCCEED.

I assure you that those with pending transactions will be taken care of. I know it's hard & you are used to having to wait, but with due time your transaction will be handled properly. Whether it'r refunding your money or shipping you the order originally placed.

Its really bothers me that my parents put forth so much time & effort to have people piss on them. It just goes to show that no matter how hard someone may TRY, you just can'y please people. I guess it would be a cold day in hell to ever think many of you would ever attempt actually be concerned with my father & what might actually be happening.

That's all I have to say. I have been as nice as possible about the situation. To those you know my father and/or mother and appreciate what they have done for you, I extend my thanks. Its customers like you that make dealing with so much bull**** worthwhile.

No, I will not be responding. No, my father will not be responding.

I'm sure this will light the thread on fire for all you fire starters. Have fun with it.

Warmest Regard,
Joy Cecil

105mph_38_2003 07-08-2009 02:00 AM

Speaking of classic OSO what happened to everyone? This place has totally changed in the past couple years I was gone...

PhantomChaos 07-08-2009 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by 105mph_38_2003 (Post 2905300)
Speaking of classic OSO what happened to everyone? This place has totally changed in the past couple years I was gone...

Not too much change......just like boating.....some people come and some people go. :D

SpeedGirl 07-08-2009 05:13 AM

The person who can find the BEST post will get a DVD of the Don Aronow Story!!!

hp500efi 07-08-2009 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Waterfoul (Post 1046422)
Yeah, yeah, yeah.... Allan4 is a putz, Packinair is a mustard farmer, but neither of them compares to TROUTLY!!!!!!

classic :)

BBB725 07-08-2009 06:56 AM

The Rolex thread

Originally Posted by jordy (Post 1159906)
Tommy, give me a call when you get a second. We need to talk.

Jordan

C_Spray 07-08-2009 08:09 AM

It hurts to even bring it up, but.....

Any thread that mentions Tripple Digits or his Stingray.

Roger 1 07-08-2009 08:37 AM

What about the old Apache threads? Always something good in an Apache thread.

Roger 1 07-08-2009 08:37 AM

Big Scotty?

Spicy 07-08-2009 10:01 AM

THe Ben Kramer is being released thread......

I was reading as fast as I could that day and couldnt keep up with the pages...

BLee 07-08-2009 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Roger 1 (Post 2905424)
What about the old Apache threads? Always something good in an Apache thread.

Those are likely the best ever to me. Some of the BS spewed in those still hasn't hit the ground. :lolhit:

While I agree, the fall of "Too Old" was literally like watching a train wreck, especially after having soooo many years of being one of the most respected people on OSO, I kind of felt bad for Fred's daughter Joy. She really has no idea how you have to deliver a message on a forum, and ultimately was just defending her Dad. We all would have done it.

One question: Did "Trick Marine" just essentially go broke, making them unable to repay debts & deliver product? Or, did Fred actually scam people into believing he was running a legitimate business, while pocketing the cash & disappearing?

I never got the "real" gist of the story throughout all of the fighting. If he scammed people, well obviously he deserves everything he has gotten, but if he just went under, that's a little different to me in regards to how much "abuse" he took over that deal.

Thanks to anyone that feels like answering! :ernaehrung004:

bluellama 07-08-2009 10:12 AM

LDD calling TD "the Douchebag of all time"
Hello Kettle ..... :D

Originally Posted by long duck dong (Post 2682152)
I have a feeling that TD is allot further into his agenda than we all know....TD is going down as the Douchebag of all time in the world for boating forums....he has by far surpassed the reputations of several superstars including Bgchuby, Big Scotty, The Rolex Kid, Troutley, and Too Old aka Fred Cecil (Trick Marine).....

TD is now a supporting vendor of scream and fly, they deleted the thread this morning.....what a bunch of CHUMPS... S&F took his money to be a vendor then deleted the thread.... TD is buying back his comments...LMAO

Cash Bar 07-08-2009 10:27 AM

My Favorite....

Originally Posted by Cash Bar (Post 1995616)
We seem to have lost a member.....:rolleyes:

Dolla(buyafountain) Bill hasn't been seen or heard from since Christmas eve. He was last seen under a bar at Borgata in Atlantic City during the holidays. If you see him, please point him south and tell him there is a free Cafe' Patron tasting back in Ft. Lauderdale.

Any contact should be started by saying "Hey dumbazz".....:D

Should be be seen with a blonde previously seen here.......throw a stick......:rolleyes:

Panther 07-08-2009 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos (Post 2905304)
Not too much change......just like boating.....some people come and some people go "to other places". :D

:drink:

WARPARTY36 07-08-2009 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by bluellama (Post 2905496)
LDD calling TD "the Douchebag of all time"
Hello Kettle ..... :D

+1:drink: F'n TOOLS:kiss:

PatriYacht 07-08-2009 12:02 PM

Not sure what you mean by classic, but I would rate the Rachel is Dead Thread as one of the most memorable and possibly biggest scam ever on OSO, he sure had the majority of us fooled, especially me. I also had a lot of fun on some of the Cashbrain threads, I wonder what ever happened to him.

I for one would like to think that Fred just ran out of money because his business grew to fast and was poorly managed. I think his heart was to deep in this sport to purposely pull a fast one on us. You have to remember he was a contributing member for a LONG time before he started his business. Ian and I spoke to him many times before and after he started Trick, he never seemed like someone to do this on purpose. Plus he wound up in a lot legal and financial trouble, I imagine it must kill him to be excommunicated from a hobby and community that he was involved in for a long time.
Posted by Donna Ms PatriYacht

Interceptor 07-08-2009 02:08 PM

The whole Big Scotty episode has to be the classic in the general discussion catagory.

History of V-bottoms and History of Cats has to be some of the best learning threads.

The Apache stuff is fun but hard to sort out the B.S..

Trick Marine/Too Old is the " why paying retail is better " thread.

Everything else is chum.

ed

JCPERF 07-08-2009 04:39 PM

Masher and the moose:evilb:

masi242 07-08-2009 08:18 PM

Than there was Troutly who just could not say no:hitit: with a family member:eek:

buck183 07-08-2009 09:40 PM

I'm gonna go back a little further than anyone has so far.

Two threads come to mind. Wish I could remember the names of the individuals involved.

There was a women on here one night that was threatening suicide. She kept posting some unorthodox stuff back to back. A few members jumped in a car and went to her place to perform an intervention.

There was also a thread about a well known member getting hit by a car and suffering fatal injuries. The thread was delivered in such a hysterical way that it made no sense at all. The thread starter was delirious beyond belief. I remember reading it the second it was posted and it looked like a third grader typed it out. It was originally taken as a joke but turned out to be true.

By the way, I wasn't making light of someone losing their life. The thread itself stood out and always will.

There was also a thread by someone building a big HP motor and putting it in a 24' Sunsation. On a shake down run they had some sort of mishap and his buddy that was riding along got some serious injuries. Can't for the life of me remember his name either. I do remember he quit posting here never to be seen again.

Buck

Steve 1 07-08-2009 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by buck183 (Post 2906101)

Two threads come to mind. Wish I could remember the names of the individuals involved.

There was a women on here one night that was threatening suicide. She kept posting some unorthodox stuff back to back. A few members jumped in a car and went to her place to perform an intervention.

There was also a thread about a well known member getting hit by a car and suffering fatal injuries. The thread was delivered in such a hysterical way that it made no sense at all. The thread starter was delirious beyond belief. I remember reading it the second it was posted and it looked like a third grader typed it out. It was originally taken as a joke but turned out to be true.

By the way, I wasn't making light of someone losing their life. The thread itself stood out and always will.

There was also a thread by someone building a big HP motor and putting it in a 24' Sunsation. On a shake down run they had some sort of mishap and his buddy that was riding along got some serious injuries. Can't for the life of me remember his name either. I do remember he quit posting here never to be seen again.

Buck

That was a member named DanL I think, the same guy who got killed by the car and owned a couple Apaches. The Chick was freaked by a near miss by a cat in the NY race anyway the guy saved her. And lost his life later on.

buck183 07-08-2009 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Steve 1 (Post 2906118)
That was a member named DanL I think, the same guy who got killed by the car and owned a couple Apaches. The Chick was freaked by a near miss by a cat in the NY race anyway the guy saved her. And lost his life later on.

That would be correct. Thank you for clearing that up.

I believe Jon, AKA Audiofn, may have been involved in the intervention. I remember him or Waterfoul having something to do with it.

Buck

Catmando 07-08-2009 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by buck183 (Post 2906101)

Buck

1. Jennifer Coen(Superboat owner John Coen's wife)

2. Dan Lanza. The thread starter was his girlfriend or wife.

3. Don't know about the Sunsation but there is a thread about putting a 1400hp turbine in a Y2K Superboat in that forum.

PhantomChaos 07-08-2009 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 2906131)
1. Jennifer Coen(Superboat owner John Coen's wife)

2. Dan Lanza. The thread starter was his girlfriend or wife.

3. Don't know about the Sunsation but there is a thread about putting a 1400hp turbine in a Y2K Superboat in that forum.

1) Jen.....suicide. INFO

2) Dan Lanza.....hit by a car during road rage conflict. http://danlanza.com

3) I remember that too.....Paralyzed during the accident?

HalfNutz 07-08-2009 10:57 PM

My favorite.

APACHE Whats in a name......

That thread was on the front page for months.
Lots of history and lots of BS

tomtbone1993 07-08-2009 11:04 PM

what about the guy who wanted to covert the apache to a single engine just to roll up to the bars and look cool..........

jayboat 07-08-2009 11:09 PM

Lots of great memories...

the 'moose ate my cellphone' thread was one of my favorites.
Although I'm prejudiced, the inspiration it provided will always be a classic to me. :drink:

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/5756/osojeopardy.jpg

Catmando 07-08-2009 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos (Post 2906157)
1) Jen.....suicide. INFO

I went to their forum and read some of the thread. No accident that I can find. They're still dialing in the boat.

PhantomChaos 07-09-2009 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 2906177)
I went to their forum and read some of the thread. No accident that I can find. They're still dialing in the boat.

What are you talking about?

Sydwayz 07-09-2009 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos (Post 2906157)
1) Jen.....suicide. INFO

#3:

25 Sunsation (actually a 24x7 hull) with a 572/ProCharger. They reportedly had the boat over trimmed and his buddy hit the dash on a bad hop/landing. I don't think he ever came out of the coma. The guy's name on here was "kook".

Related: A good friend of mine actually ordered that boat new with a 496 before all that happened. Another good friend of mine bought the boat after the accident, put more big power in it, and ran it for several seasons. He later sold it with a 500EFI.

vtec 07-09-2009 12:47 AM

I'm too lazy to search on Troutly. Wasn't he a cop?

What happen?

Marginmn 07-09-2009 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by JCPERF (Post 2905819)
Masher and the moose:evilb:

That was the infamous original Gerry of Canada Thread.

I needed an XR drive and found a great deal on a used drive from a guy in western Canada. Sent him a cashiers check and waited weeks for the drive...... never came. Called and called and called the guy to see what had happened to the drive but he would never answer the phone or return my call. After nearly a month I finally gave up hope of ever getting the drive or my money back and posted the guy's name and address on OSO, mostly as a warning for other's to not deal with the guy in the future. That's when the fun started.

To my amazement he replied to my post on OSO and came up with just a wild ass story about having been on a moose hunt in the Great White North and having not returned my calls because he had lost his cell phone during the moose hunt. He then claimed that the drive had been leaking and thus held by customs, and then lost by customs, and he refused to refund my money because it was all my fault for not insuring the drive - that he had never shipped. When OSO members challaged him to provide tracking numbers he couldn't and went on a long rant against the United States and Americans in general. That didn't set well with others on OSO and in particular Masher as he did some computer gizmo chit and came up with Satellite pics of the guys house (wild chit for the time) and various phone numbers of his home, place of business, likely hangouts upon which Masher and other OSO called the numbers and sent emails to the townspeople all day and during all hours of the night which quickly turned the guy's life into a living hell. One member registered the domian name GerryXXXSucksXXXXX.com and had the website up and running with updates on the situation.

Before long the guy's attitude went from "All you Americans' can just kiss my ass because I'm not giving the guy a refund" to "Just tell me where to send the check and Please make the phone calls and emails to town members from Masher and others stop because it is ruining my marriage!!"

It was an amazing thread because it showed the power of the OSO community at the time. The guy had clearly tried to #@#$ a member and flaunted the fact that he could get away with it because he lived far away in Canada. But a united OSO community came down on him like a ton of bricks - including many of our Canadian members who pressured the guy to do the right thing. He eventually agreed to gave me my money back, but only if I agreed to lock the thread and take down his personal information so the phone calls would stop. I agreed to do that in large part because the local Mounties told me that the guy was a repeat criminal and suspected drug dealer and in general an unstable person capable of doing most anything.

Anyways, in the thread the guy claimed to have lost his cell phone on a moose hunt. OSO members just ran with that. Someone clamied to have dailed the guy's cell phone only to have a moose answer the phone - thus the moose phone.

But the most classic post in the thead is where one member made up a Jeopardy board listing the various claims the scammer had made about all the high dollar chit he had as the Jeopary catagories.

Thanks again Masher and all others who helped him to do the right thing.

QUOTE=jayboat;2906166]Lots of great memories...

the 'moose ate my cellphone' thread was one of my favorites.
Although I'm prejudiced, the inspiration it provided will always be a classic to me. :drink:

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/5756/osojeopardy.jpg[/QUOTE]

Griff 07-09-2009 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2906186)
#3:

25 Sunsation (actually a 24x7 hull) with a 572/ProCharger. They reportedly had the boat over trimmed and his buddy hit the dash on a bad hop/landing. I don't think he ever came out of the coma. The guy's name on here was "kook".

Related: A good friend of mine actually ordered that boat new with a 496 before all that happened. Another good friend of mine bought the boat after the accident, put more big power in it, and ran it for several seasons. He later sold it with a 500EFI.

I remember all 3 incidents/threads as well.

The engine in the 25 Sunsation was a 572 and was built by the infamous Bruce Dudley, who later scammed a bunch of OSO members out of a bunch of $$$ and parts. I believe it was the last engine he delivered.

Griff 07-09-2009 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by vtec (Post 2906190)
I'm too lazy to search on Troutly. Wasn't he a cop?

What happen?

Yes, MN state trooper.

He was convicted of having a sexual relationship his 14yr old niece. The niece was later killed by a drunk driver while he was in jail. He is out of jail now.

105mph_38_2003 07-09-2009 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 2906205)
Yes, MN state trooper.

He was convicted of having a sexual relationship his 14yr old niece. The niece was later killed by a drunk driver while he was in jail. He is out of jail now.

Wow thats sad, I was curious how that unfolded too.

GLH 07-09-2009 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos (Post 2905298)
"Classic" OSO posts

"Tony Danza"
Which has been removed...

A post I could not find after looking for a while but it was when I first started hanging here;
Thread was about someone asking what to do to hop-up a motor and a guy chimed in with one of the best posts I have ever seen here;

"Run some boost through that biatch"

boatme 07-09-2009 05:40 AM

Apache Threads were always good

Rachels dead Is a classic

any post by Cashbrain was always sure to prove the idiot he was

Trick marine was good stuff

National marine threads were interesting

Even the Chief Threads provided entertainment

Audiofn 07-09-2009 05:58 AM

I can not beleive that the "Poodle Threads" have not been brought up.

Rick32 hitting the dog with his truck!!! LOL

Shah Mat 07-09-2009 06:24 AM

The GPS thread was hysterical......

This is all that is left from it

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ps-thread.html

There was a photoshop contest years ago too the was funny as hell. Can't find it though.

Shah Mat 07-09-2009 06:39 AM

Can't find the "How Tall is Nort" thread either