Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sonic 260, Checkmate 260zt or Velocity 260?? >

Sonic 260, Checkmate 260zt or Velocity 260??

Notices

Sonic 260, Checkmate 260zt or Velocity 260??

Old 07-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL
Brian, you towed yours with a 2dr Tahoe
Hence my words!! I moved up to the 3/4 Ton Avalanche soon thereafter.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by RAAZ227
Awesome!! Thanks for the great info and help. Please do. I would like to see what's around locally. What would be a good price range?
I just chatted with Frank, and most of our collective contacts have moved up from the 26'-ish range already.

There might be a 29' Scarab with twin 350SBC, local, coming in on trade shortly though. It would be less than $50K.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:23 PM
scarab
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I just chatted with Frank, and most of our collective contacts have moved up from the 26'-ish range already.

There might be a 29' Scarab with twin 350SBC, local, coming in on trade shortly though. It would be less than $50K.

If he buys it from me he can have it for 42000 then I can buy that sonic from frank
Old 07-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Registered

I am leaning towards the Sonic. But, as for the Velocity as there certain years to look out for?
Old 07-17-2009, 07:24 PM
Registered

okay, I'll put my 2 cents in, which is not much, I looked at a 2004 prowler, a 1998 I believe checkmate convincer 258, and the velocity 260. the sonic definitely has the nicest cabin as previously mentioned, and even the cockpit seemed roomier then the other two, the convincer's are supposed to ride well as are the sonics but I've never been on anything but a 22 check. the velocity is the fastest (considering they all have the same power) I feel the build quality is excellent, the factory support is top notch and it can handle some decent size water. my cabin is nice, no enclosed head but there is a lot of headroom, the cockpit I like, as it has a lot of freeboard and makes for a secure ride. The velocities don't crush waves, but "ride on top" it takes some getting used to and with only 100 hours on my boat I'm no expert but can take it out safely in some rough conditions. I have been told the sonics ride much softer due to the weight, and hull design but therefore are slower. I love my choice and since having it, I am pretty sure I'll buy another when mine goes....
Old 07-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I looked closely at the Velocity 260 a couple years ago. It is very fast for the power, 70+ with 496HO. It's a light layup boat, and I was warned by the manufacturer not to let it land on its side after jumping a wave. The freeboard is high, which is good for keeping people inside, and the wind off of you. Some of them have a small windscreen, which provides good protection at high speeds, and actually makes high speed cruising comfortable, which is a refreshing change from most boats. Build quality is good, but I did see some faults. As far as ride, you do get some slap. I didn't get into any big stuff, so can't comment there. The cabin has good headroom, and you can sit upright in the cabin seating, which many boats that size you can't.

Hope that helps.

Michael
Old 07-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Registered

If you're running in the Chesapeake Bay, stay with the Sonic, but follow Sydwayz's advise on what year to buy. The Velocity will be faster in smoother water, but the Sonic will definately run better in rough water. You definately can't go wrong with an AT either - if you can find one.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Registered

I have an 01 26 prowler. With stock 502 it ran around 61 - 62 mph. I have a 540ci now. Best speed is 71.6. You won't find another boat with the cabin the Sonic has. I'd like to try a 2" shorty. My x dim is 7"
Old 07-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Michael1
I looked closely at the Velocity 260 a couple years ago. It is very fast for the power, 70+ with 496HO. It's a light layup boat, and I was warned by the manufacturer not to let it land on its side after jumping a wave. The freeboard is high, which is good for keeping people inside, and the wind off of you. Some of them have a small windscreen, which provides good protection at high speeds, and actually makes high speed cruising comfortable, which is a refreshing change from most boats. Build quality is good, but I did see some faults. As far as ride, you do get some slap. I didn't get into any big stuff, so can't comment there. The cabin has good headroom, and you can sit upright in the cabin seating, which many boats that size you can't.

Hope that helps.

Michael
my boat has (Velocity 260, 496, 375hp) has run 68.1 on the gps, and that was with 3 people, cooler etc... powerboat did a test with the HO motor and the boat ran 80... their very efficient hulls.... landing on the side in any boat would be bad I'm sure.....

RAZZ I have the video on you tube, and that day had to be 4-6 foot, and sloppy.... I had a women and her husband coming in at the dock tell me they were 10 foot and were shocked I was going out.... we ran about 20 miles in it, it handles it well... make sure it's got tabs or you get them if you go with one.....
Old 07-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Sonic

The sonic is a great boat but like others have sais is heavy. I think 61-62 is all you will see on gps with a 4 blade maybe 63-64 with 3 blade but will take forever to plane with 3 blade.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.