Like Tree0Likes

Be good: help a newbie

Reply
Old 07-21-2009, 11:37 AM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8
Be good: help a newbie

Hi everyone,

I am a french fan of american go-fast vessel.
Always lurking at scarab on famous floridian tv show, I spent some times in the Sarasota keys area ten years ago, and I am, at 33, ready to unleash my passion. I'll soon get rid of a good ol'Porsche 911 Cabriolet and let the fury go on the Mediterranean sea.

Simplier said, I need your experience and your advices before I buy my first offshore.

Here's my specs:

26 to 30 feet boat, single engine, with the comfiest cabin, modern/uptodate look, with all the options I can get for USD 30000

I'll share this boat with my old man who need some adult highperformance boat... I turned off because of this a very nice '88 Scarab 28 excel. He would never get into the cuddy to take a nap!

So, at this time, I was thinking of these birds:

1994-2000 Scarab 29
Formula SR 1 275
Formula fastech 271
Baja 275 Boss
Fountain 29 Fever
Donzi 27-28 ZX

I also precise that I am not in a urge need for speed: 65 as a top would be nice.
I DO NOT want a very sharp engine, meaning extensive maintenance costs. I don't think I'll find nice and concerned techs here in France.

I am an absolute beginner, I am on a budget for my first "real" boat, I don't want go wrong if I import one of these down here.

What do you think of these models? Do you think of something else?

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Daniel
nadnet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:01 PM
  #2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
animalhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Warwick, RI
Posts: 985
Default

I have a 2006 29 Formula Twin 496's, all white boat has under 50 hours on it and is perfect it is outside your budget, but the boat is mint.

Last edited by animalhouse; 07-21-2009 at 01:42 PM.
animalhouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:11 PM
  #3
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Grand Lake (E-Dock Junior Varsity)
My Boats: 24 Skater, 292 SR-1 Formula, 382 Fastech, 41 PC
Posts: 3,017
Default

The cost of shipping a boat from the US to there will be HUGE. Ive heard prices upwards of $10,000 USD. Good luck with your search. Should be able to find something in that price range with a single engine stock merc power..
waterboy222 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:38 PM
  #4
Charter Mod
Charter Member
 
BLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: E Dock
My Boats: Cigarette - "90MPH" Edition
Posts: 6,551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnet View Post
Hi everyone,

I am a french fan of american go-fast vessel.
Always lurking at scarab on famous floridian tv show, I spent some times in the Sarasota keys area ten years ago, and I am, at 33, ready to unleash my passion. I'll soon get rid of a good ol'Porsche 911 Cabriolet and let the fury go on the Mediterranean sea.

Simplier said, I need your experience and your advices before I buy my first offshore.

Here's my specs:

26 to 30 feet boat, single engine, with the comfiest cabin, modern/uptodate look, with all the options I can get for USD 30000

I'll share this boat with my old man who need some adult highperformance boat... I turned off because of this a very nice '88 Scarab 28 excel. He would never get into the cuddy to take a nap!

So, at this time, I was thinking of these birds:

1994-2000 Scarab 29
Formula SR 1 275
Formula fastech 271
Baja 275 Boss
Fountain 29 Fever
Donzi 27-28 ZX

I also precise that I am not in a urge need for speed: 65 as a top would be nice.
I DO NOT want a very sharp engine, meaning extensive maintenance costs. I don't think I'll find nice and concerned techs here in France.

I am an absolute beginner, I am on a budget for my first "real" boat, I don't want go wrong if I import one of these down here.

What do you think of these models? Do you think of something else?

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Daniel

Of the boats you mentioned, I'd buy the Formula 271 Fastech.

Good luck.
BLee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:41 PM
  #5
Registered
 
BRUCE SEROFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Edison, NJ, USA
Posts: 6,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy222 View Post
The cost of shipping a boat from the US to there will be HUGE. Ive heard prices upwards of $10,000 USD. Good luck with your search. Should be able to find something in that price range with a single engine stock merc power..
shipped my 28 for 3500 / couple years back
BRUCE SEROFF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:56 AM
  #6
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member
 
Griff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Omaha
My Boats: .......32............. ...............Active Thunder....
Posts: 15,756
Default

Think about a 28 Pantera or 28 Active Thunder as well. They are both 30' LOA with a swim platform.
Griff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:37 AM
  #7
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Think about a 28 Pantera or 28 Active Thunder as well. They are both 30' LOA with a swim platform.
Too sporty, lack of cabin room
nadnet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:39 AM
  #8
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8
Default

No bet on donzi nor fountain?
nadnet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:11 PM
  #9
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member
 
Griff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Omaha
My Boats: .......32............. ...............Active Thunder....
Posts: 15,756
Default

My 28 Pantera had a bigger cabin than any of the other boats you listed. A 28 AT cabin is about the same size as the Pantera cabin, except its taller and has more headroom.
Griff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:02 AM
  #10
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8
Default

Very hard to find a pantera or a AT in my price range.
Found nice 2000 29 Fever or 1999 28 Donzi on the Bay.
What are their pros and cons?
nadnet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.