what would you recommend... >

what would you recommend...

Notices

what would you recommend...

Old 08-13-2009, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmareno
I aggree with you augie.... Don't spend 50k on your 1st boat... It will hurt more when you run it aground, Burn up an impellor sucking sand up in it. Banging off every dock learning to use it.. Not saying your buddy is not "Boat Worthy" I started with a 26 stinger.... Even that was too much for me in the beginning. Get a USED Runner and get the hang of it and learn the feel for the water, currents docking, and so forth..

Then get your dream boat.. You may change your mind and get a cruiser with all the bells instead of a go-fast..

I just would hate to see you spend 50k on something and two years from now take a bath on it because you realize that was not what you wanted or your boating needs are heading another way!!

Good luck and post what you buy!!

I had that convo with him, but it's hard for me to tell him not to buy x boat because he is a beginner when my first boat was a 28zx. He is shopping the classifieds so i will post up what he buys.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:37 AM
Registered

This could likely be had at his budget or close. Blue pwer and VERY clean.

http://www.sunsationboats.com/forums...ead.php?t=2284
Old 08-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Registered

If he's been running your boat for years ,around the dock ,putting on trailer ,etc he's put his time in should be ready for something close to the same size . Nice to have friends that are willing to let you get exp. On there boat including the dings and dents . That's what I did.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by show-n-go h2o
I had that convo with him, but it's hard for me to tell him not to buy x boat because he is a beginner when my first boat was a 28zx. He is shopping the classifieds so i will post up what he buys.

Sometimes your first boat is the boat you actually bought, but you spent years running others and got away from parts, labor, fuel and marina fees...
I have friends that know more about boats then most but have never purchased a thing......

We call them "Summer Friends"

LMAO Good luck
Old 08-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

I'd go big, get the 36 apache listed for $46K on OSO, maybe finance a little and repower it. Just my .02
Old 08-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Registered

That is a bad a$$ sunsation ZP'd!
Old 08-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by show-n-go h2o
I would say that it is based on his propensity to move up along with his preferences along with his ability to write checks. Also depends on how fast he wants to go. He should be able to get into the 70's for that. That is a good number. If he has spent some time around boats he may be more acclimated to the process. When I first got in, I thought that a $800 prop was an expense. So did a bunch of us. After being in for a while, it becomes just another something you buy.

A big single Pantera is a good boat for rough water but he will need some power if he wants to go fast.

The Donzi 26ZX is a great boat. It needs a little power to get it going but it is a big 26.

Never heard anything bad about the Sunny 288. It will bounce around a little more in the rough than the first two.

Beyond that, I am sure that there are some deals to be had.

If he wants twins, I would recommend considering something like a 28ZX. He is within a few dollars of those and those small blocks don't kill you to operate.

He can actually find some good twin older big blocks for that range but will need to be ready for the operating costs so I would not recommend that.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Registered

actually at this point he doesn't care about speed.. I'm sure that will change but as of now he just wants to get on the water and party. He is almost 100% against twins for two reasons, operating cost and towing it. He owuld like to be flexable on what he can use to tow this thing with, he works at a car dealer and drives a company car.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Registered

29' Phantom and keep some cash in the bank....

Heck I'll even toss in a dually and he can STILL keep $$$ in the bank!