Notices

Towing a Cat

Old 08-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing a Cat

What is the largest catamaran one can tow without permits or being hassled?
Thank you
Dr. Gary
Old 08-17-2009, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only thing you should have to worry about is the width. The rules vary by state. I think most states are around 8'6". A lot of people pull wider cats than that down the highways around here without hassles. It's up to you if you want to chance it.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Registered

As far as regular cargo, 53' overall and 102" wide is max for commercial before you jump into oversize territory, the same will apply to boats in the DOT eyes.

Last edited by Anarchy Powerboats; 08-17-2009 at 01:05 PM. Reason: add word, wide.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:19 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission...

This with couple trips down south and back with a 10'6" ride on a flat trailer.... Since your in IL I doubt you have to worry about the NY to DC corridor which is the only place where I have seen anyone be hassled.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:20 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Which one did you get?
Old 08-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission...

Since your in IL I doubt you have to worry about the NY to DC corridor which is the only place where I have seen anyone be hassled.
Indeed it is!

I could be wrong on this, but I "think" Illinois is actually one of the states that are pretty strict on towing guidelines. I just thought I remembered a few buddies getting hassled to & from Chicago a few times.

You'll be hard pressed to find a cat that will pass EVERYTHING, that's not 18ft long.

If you're just trying to get around having to "physically" get the permits, there are some great companies out there that will do ALL of the legwork for you. You just have to give them the route you will be taking, length of the trailer & boat, width, and what days you will be towing. The permits are cheap as hell, and they send them within a day or two. The flags & oversize load banners are the pain in the ass to me.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will not avoid a permit load unless you buy a tilt trailer. They get pretty spendy. The only downside to permit is you can not drive on Sundays in certain area's, and must be off the road 30 minutes after sunset.

The cost is cheap, just the agrivation. I got busted once, after that the permit wasn't such an inconveinence. I also got nailed with a large Center Console that was 10'6, most toll booths have sensors to monitor width, so chances are you will get busted without the proper credentials.

Also, when permited, I have seen some states require CDL, regardless of weight class or private use.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:41 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are pulling it through Illinois, find the quickest way to another state that you possibly can. Between the State Police and the Secretary of State Police(the real sticklers) you can sit for hours while they take their time. If you are not using a permit, you must avoid the scales, whenever it is possible. If you are pulling it with a truck larger than a 1 ton, I suggest avoiding the scales altogether. I have pulled over-width cats from Georgia to Florida and I have always avoided the scales plus had a blanket permit through the business.

IF YOU GET CAUGHT...PLAY STUPID and say that you took a wrong turn and got all turned around. That usually doesn't work if you have GPS on the dash.

It also helps to have another vehicle behind you so that you know that it isn't a cop and to tell you when you need to move over.

Animalhouse is right. Some states require a CDL regardless of commercial or private use. The other way around that is to run RV plates on the vehicle and meet the RV guidelines for the vehicle. That can make you exempt from the CDL.

Other than all of that, we usually run about 80mph in the semi and we usually run at night, when the scales are usually closed. And yes, we have been shutdown and told, by the police, that the boat won't move until dawn
Old 08-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Registered

Talking

Gary, Its easy to get the permits if you are trailering to the same ramp all the time ect ect.If you are now going racing I wouldnt want anything bigger than 36 feet.Ask vinnie from talking trash about hauling a 40 acroos the states! PITA

Brian

there are companies that do everthing for you just ask some of the cat race guys.I just bought florida's 1 yr permit for 300 bucks the rest of the time knowone even notices you are wide.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Registered

Thanks Brian, appreciate it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.