Like Tree0Likes

Official - Mercury Marine out of FDL

Reply
Old 08-23-2009, 05:42 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 562
Default Official - Mercury Marine out of FDL

While our democrap state gov't didnt't help much - the rank and file apparently believe there are better jobs to be had or can live on 6 months unemployment forever.

http://www.fdlreporter.com/article/2.../90823015/1985
800XCR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:25 PM
  #2
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
bowtie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 665
Default

What do you want the government to do, bail out the marine industry? Cash for sinkers maybe? More of our tax dollars down the drain. Let's just get the government out of the economy.
bowtie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:47 PM
  #3
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (5)
 
johnnyboatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: NO WHERE
My Boats: FASTEST INNER TUBE
Posts: 3,358
Default

i think weve bailed out to many people now, we run a small buisness and could use some help but they would not even think of helping us. the cash for clunkers was the worse thing for the economy , 2billion dollars all that did is put someone in a new car that in 6months most likely will get repoed, there are other ways to get the economy to improve,the first thing is to quit listening to all the gloomy new about how bad it is, spend your money like you did, by that boat,car,etc that youve been wanting. the more put in the economy the more revenue the gov will have.
johnnyboatman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:50 PM
  #4
Commercial Member
Commercial Member
 
mcraymond3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Jacksonville NC
My Boats: 48 Fountain EC
Posts: 1,305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboatman View Post
i think weve bailed out to many people now, we run a small buisness and could use some help but they would not even think of helping us. the cash for clunkers was the worse thing for the economy , 2billion dollars all that did is put someone in a new car that in 6months most likely will get repoed, there are other ways to get the economy to improve,the first thing is to quit listening to all the gloomy new about how bad it is, spend your money like you did, by that boat,car,etc that youve been wanting. the more put in the economy the more revenue the gov will have.

most of our customers that took advantage of the cash for clunkers were not bad credit customers at all. In fact, it was just the opposite. I was surprised. Before the program started, I would have agreed with you.
mcraymond3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:59 PM
  #5
Registered
 
OkieTunnel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
My Boats: 35 Motion "Bring It" is "For Sale", 31 Warlock
Posts: 872
Default

Bigger facility in Stillwater...works for me!
OkieTunnel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:02 PM
  #6
Registered
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 562
Default

I want gov't out of our personal affairs, period. If you want to know why I am harsh on our democrap state gov't, google all the fine things Gov. Jim Doyle has done including buying a $47M train from Spain without competitive bids for a track system that is not even built.

Oh yeh, he took 100% of the fed stimulus funds and applied to WI state's budget deficit that his programs created.

WI is in the top 5 states in the country losing jobs, but this is about the rank and files's decision.
800XCR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:12 AM
  #7
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bonita Beach, FL
My Boats: '08 Baja 30 Outlaw
Posts: 250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcraymond3 View Post
most of our customers that took advantage of the cash for clunkers were not bad credit customers at all. In fact, it was just the opposite. I was surprised. Before the program started, I would have agreed with you.
We'll see how it works for them in 6 months to a year. My guess is about a 1/4 or more won't be able to keep up on the payments.

I hope I am wrong and that the media has just brainwashed me and things really are better then "they" keep telling me that they are.
jswfl09 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:40 AM
  #8
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Seabrook, Tx
My Boats: 2005 42' EX //twin 525's
Posts: 881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie View Post
What do you want the government to do, bail out the marine industry? Cash for sinkers maybe? More of our tax dollars down the drain. Let's just get the government out of the economy.
How about starting with the same tax incentives that I am sure that OK is giving Mercury to move. There are lots of ways the government can help without being directly involved. Wisconsin's taxes are out of control, I am sure this is one of the major reasons, along with the union problems that Mercury is leaving. You can only squeeze so much and for so long before other opportunities open up. Remember when they move they will modernize the facilities and infrastructure of the new plants and will be way more profitable by moving.

Last edited by gerritm; 08-24-2009 at 04:17 PM.
gerritm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:17 AM
  #9
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member
 
klaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: McHenry IL /Duck Key FL
My Boats: 1989 Cigarette Bullet cig 20 resto mod
Posts: 2,201
Default

Its interesting they werent askng for wage concession on existing employees just a wage freeze and a lower base for new hires.
Quite a few including my office and shop have taken pay cuts to keep employement full but we are not union.
__________________
Kept the Bullet and the condo and joined the cig 20 restoration club.
klaw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:25 AM
  #10
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: teaneckNJ
My Boats: 1989 checkmate senator
Posts: 68
Default

government will not step in. boats are a luxury item. (most of the time i unless your a charter/fishing operator)
robwkamm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.