Notices

Stepped vs Deep V

Old 10-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lauderdaleboats
You should take a look at the Renegades also. These boats are built well and rigged well. Handle the ocean well also. Great people to deal with. You have a choice of stepped or non stepped hulls and they will sea trial you in both. Latest model is a 38 Footer, You will also have quite a bit of coin leftover versus the contender to put in your fuel tank.
Thanks Laud
Old 10-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dreamer
Do Not Even Think About A Renegade
What makes you say that?
Old 10-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh sh-t
Old 10-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

: here we go look what you staed ted

donz jr
Old 10-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RHC
I can tell you from experiance that a 30' boat with two big heavy 4 stroke's hanging off the back will be a single purpose boat , it might be fast, but the trade off is not worth it , make the company build it first and run it in all types of water before you committ , because once you own it , it,s yours !!!

RHC
AMEN !!!!
Old 10-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamer
intrepid r stepped
dusky stepped
yellowfin stepped
ect
ect

go with yellowfin!!!!
Yes !!!! X 2 on the Yellowfin !!!!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Registered

((Do Not Even Think About A Renegade))

I'm curious as to why The 'Dreamer' with no boat and money in the bank would make this statement also??? Please elaborate.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Registered

Get the step.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Registered

Step
Old 10-22-2009, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmdjr
Not to beat a dead horse, but I have a few questions regarding stepped hulls and was hoping the offshore racers might be able to offer a different perspective from my fishing forum.

I have the option of a stepped hull on a 31 foot CC offshore fishing boat or a conventional V. I fish off the coast of South Carolina, and usually encounter 3 foot seas. I run to the gulf, approx 50 miles each way, and want a faster ride.

The advantages of a stepped hull, as I am told, are faster ride and increased fuel efficiency at cruising speed. The V hull tops out at 65 mph with twin 350 Yahama 4 stroke outboards. The stepped hull, I am told, can do the same with twin 250 Yamaha 4 stroke outboards. They are on hull number 3 of the stepped hull, and have yet to power one with twin 350 Yamahas.

So what are the compromises, if any, of a stepped hull? How different is the ride? Are they hard to handle? Do they track well? How about slow speed handling (no wake zones might compare to trolling in the ocean).? Are stepped hulls better in lakes versus ocean? Do they spin end over end if I turn the wheel after hitting a wave?

Thank you,
Jason
Jason: You are comparing apples to oranges with the two boats you describe. 1) the Yamaha 350`s are much heavier than the 250`s which will change your CG, and step bottom boats are very sensitive to CG and weight change. Also the 350 gear cases are much bigger and props are limited, not to mention cost of 350`s opposed to 250`s. I doubt that you would be able to notice any difference in boats with ride and handling if you didn`t know which boat you were in. 31` twin engine outboard center consoles are totally different animals than the high performance cigarette type boats that are running in the 100 mph range in that those boats are running surface type drive systems, which accentuate the CG and step bottom application. 2) Generally you don`t have as much trim capacity with the step bottom boat as the CG and steps pretty much dictate the ride angle of the hull. Hope the info helps, go for the 31 with the 250`s and steps, but ride both, only make sure it`s apples to apples.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.