Who's running a #6 in a single engine application >

Who's running a #6 in a single engine application

Notices

Who's running a #6 in a single engine application

Old 09-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 26 REDLINE
Looked into the Arneson, but its not a simple swap, I would have to add on to the center pod, and it looks like it would be a pain to deal with, don't get me wrong I like my MMW but would love a little more peace of mind, with a better drive, looked @ Konrad, but not a bolt on replacemnt, not sure of the Indy, it i a beautiful drive, the Xpower drive won't work, the drive needs some tweeking to run on a single cat, already had a friend try one gave it back, it wouldn;t work on his cat...at all..
Originally Posted by 26 REDLINE
Well a friend of mine bought 1 and spent about 2 solid weeks trying to dial it in, plus Xpower want be the ones to do everything, they don't want you to fool with it, IMO that is BS I am not going to move to Ca just so everytime I want to change a spacer they have to do it, dont get me wrong the drive is bad azz but I don't see 35,000 worth there, and you still have the weak link of the gimble ring. He finaly put his MMW drive back on the boat for LOTO, there just are not enough of the Xpower drives out there I think just 3 or 4 boats are running them, and none of them are on a single engine setup
Comment:

Well my good friend Jeff should be a reporter as he misquotes the facts better than the National Enquirer laughing.

I did not give the drive back I own the drive and have a lot of confidence in the X-Power Drive.

The fact is I simply ran out of time to dial in the drive before my trip to LOTO. The time constraint forced me and/or compelled me to run the MMWorx because I already had it dialed in and know what it likes---the end result speaks for itself ran 118MPH and hit the rev. limiter at LOTO.

Now back to the X-Power drive we have figured out a lot since I left for LOTO over a week ago. The drive will work on a mod VP hull but the set-up is akin more to a V-Bottom than a true cat. Having said that I will resume testing this drive and I believe it will work successfully--- by this I mean dialed in completely.

All new products need testing example the NXT drive took two years to dial in and it still is being tweaked everyday. So let's not rush into unsupported conclusions on whether the X-Power Drive works or not as it is way to early to tell. I will let you know and we should be closing in on that X-diminsion window here rather quickly then the next issue will be prop selection.

Oh! and for the record Jeff I will state that if you put a single #6 drive on your boat you will regret it but your gonna do what you think is best. As your friend I would suggest holding on a little bit more the season is almost over and winter will be upon us no need to go rushing into anything hasty.

KAP

P.S. It is worth 35k if we get it dialed in and it saves you two Bravo gearsets a year in three years the drive will pay for itself and you can hammer it out of the hole instead of rolling the boat over and cringeing. As for the gimbal the stainless one should be about done as we speak 3.9 times stronger than HP Imco aluminum.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Registered

I wish x power luck with the 35k pricetag. The truth of the matter is for that price it should have been worked out before they sold it to the public. I have a scx which has held up to date and took 0 dialing in. I like the concept behind x power but the price is retarded. If you are paying for r&d in the 36k pricetag then why are all of the boats running them having trouble with setup? Good luck with the drive it looks badass and has great potential but the price should be around 20k not 35k
Old 09-03-2009, 02:13 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by johnlomant
I wish x power luck with the 35k pricetag. The truth of the matter is for that price it should have been worked out before they sold it to the public. I have a scx which has held up to date and took 0 dialing in. I like the concept behind x power but the price is retarded. If you are paying for r&d in the 36k pricetag then why are all of the boats running them having trouble with setup? Good luck with the drive it looks badass and has great potential but the price should be around 20k not 35k
Im not sure its R&D on the drive itself, rather R&D on the setup and rigging. The drive itself, like a #6 or an arneson, is probably proven to take the abuse and power they claim.....but getting it to move your boat correctly is another thing. And all boats are different.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
Im not sure its R&D on the drive itself, rather R&D on the setup and rigging. The drive itself, like a #6 or an arneson, is probably proven to take the abuse and power they claim.....but getting it to move your boat correctly is another thing. And all boats are different.
I agree 100% the drive is tough, but they need to help there customers with setup. If your going to sell a 35k drive then there should have already been testing done on single engine setups to help with x demension and other setup issues. If I was to buy this drive it better have some great results compared to the old setup. 118 out of 1400 hp in a small cat/deckboat is not really anyhting to brag about.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:36 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by johnlomant
I agree 100% the drive is tough, but they need to help there customers with setup. If your going to sell a 35k drive then there should have already been testing done on single engine setups to help with x demension and other setup issues. If I was to buy this drive it better have some great results compared to the old setup. 118 out of 1400 hp in a small cat/deckboat is not really anyhting to brag about.
In this circumstance I think the bulk of the r&d work rests on the shoulders of RMP boats. For instance, there have been every possible combo of boat, motor, and drive that eliminator has set up. Tell them what you have and they can probably tell you how to set it up. RPM boats, on the other hand, probably hasnt built nearly all the combos needed to set this up without significat r&d. Im just not sure X power could be much help....but they should make a big effort if they are going to stay around. Lots of big power going to bravo boats that need an answer that isnt a #6.

Last edited by tblrklakemo; 09-03-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In this circumstance I think the bulk of the r&d work rests on the shoulders of RMP boats. For instance, there have been every possible combo of boat, motor, and drive that eliminator has set up. Tell them what you have and they can probably tell you how to set it up. RPM boats, on the other hand, probably hasnt built nearly all the combos needed to set this up without significat r&d. Im just not sure X power could be much help....but they should make a big effort if they are going to stay around. Lots of big power going to bravo boats that need an answer that isnt a #6.
I think that they build a cool boat and I am thrilled to see new companies like RPM come around. The boat runs 130 or so. That is a nice big number to be running in a 26' boat. It sounds like that they are pretty helpful and willing to explore possibilities in a really fast cat.

On the other hand, how big is the market for 130-150 mph single cats with #6's? Why would they want to drop serious coin to develop say a 150mph single cat so people could kill themselves and they could get sued? It is not like we see a bunch of #6 single Eliminators running around.

I could visualize my conversation with Donzi if I told them I was eating drives with my 850hp single ZX that runs 103:

Me:" Uh, hey guys, I know that I have far exceeded the power rating and speed of your hull, but I have found that the 850 is a great combo for your hull. The only problem is that it eats drives like crazy. Would you mind working out the details so I could put a #6 or an Arneson on one of your new 27ZR's"

Donzi: "You did what and it goes how fast?.....Ok....we will get back to you on that one....click"
Old 09-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kap328
Comment:

Well my good friend Jeff should be a reporter as he misquotes the facts better than the National Enquirer laughing.

I did not give the drive back I own the drive and have a lot of confidence in the X-Power Drive.

The fact is I simply ran out of time to dial in the drive before my trip to LOTO. The time constraint forced me and/or compelled me to run the MMWorx because I already had it dialed in and know what it likes---the end result speaks for itself ran 118MPH and hit the rev. limiter at LOTO.

Now back to the X-Power drive we have figured out a lot since I left for LOTO over a week ago. The drive will work on a mod VP hull but the set-up is akin more to a V-Bottom than a true cat. Having said that I will resume testing this drive and I believe it will work successfully--- by this I mean dialed in completely.

All new products need testing example the NXT drive took two years to dial in and it still is being tweaked everyday. So let's not rush into unsupported conclusions on whether the X-Power Drive works or not as it is way to early to tell. I will let you know and we should be closing in on that X-diminsion window here rather quickly then the next issue will be prop selection.

Oh! and for the record Jeff I will state that if you put a single #6 drive on your boat you will regret it but your gonna do what you think is best. As your friend I would suggest holding on a little bit more the season is almost over and winter will be upon us no need to go rushing into anything hasty.

KAP

P.S. It is worth 35k if we get it dialed in and it saves you two Bravo gearsets a year in three years the drive will pay for itself and you can hammer it out of the hole instead of rolling the boat over and cringeing. As for the gimbal the stainless one should be about done as we speak 3.9 times stronger than HP Imco aluminum.
Yep, he does seem to misquote the heck out of things and that is kind of important when getting the facts straight. Bryan Rose mentioned that earlier and I actually think it is pertinent to the discussion.

I also think that 2 weeks of testing is not that much for new products when trying a new option on something. He will spend WAY more than that doing a #6 conversion.

I still want to see something like this done whether it is a #6, Arneson, or X drive. Winter is coming and it is time for new ideas.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Registered

Ahh! sure is nice to read a post that hits the nail on the head. The R/D is the setup not the drive itself---is is figuring out the proper X-diminsion and what props does it like. The tuning window is real small in a mod V P hull and you can space yourself out of the window real quick and vice versa.

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi
Yep, he does seem to misquote the heck out of things and that is kind of important when getting the facts straight. Bryan Rose mentioned that earlier and I actually think it is pertinent to the discussion.

I also think that 2 weeks of testing is not that much for new products when trying a new option on something. He will spend WAY more than that doing a #6 conversion.

I still want to see something like this done whether it is a #6, Arneson, or X drive. Winter is coming and it is time for new ideas.

The bold section above is exactly what I was thinking 2 weeks is not a long time. We are getting closer each time I go out so maybe by winter's end we will have some solid data and conclusory remarks.

KAP
Old 09-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kap328
Ahh! sure is nice to read a post that hits the nail on the head. The R/D is the setup not the drive itself---is is figuring out the proper X-diminsion and what props does it like. The tuning window is real small in a mod V P hull and you can space yourself out of the window real quick and vice versa.

The bold section above is exactly what I was thinking 2 weeks is not a long time. We are getting closer each time I go out so maybe by winter's end we will have some solid data and conclusory remarks.

KAP
That is a cool project you have going KAP. Many of us will be waiting for the results. My hat is off to you for doing that. It takes guts but I think that you are on to something. Bring on the spacers and props. At the end of the day if you are successful it will be ground breaking stuff.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi
That is a cool project you have going KAP. Many of us will be waiting for the results. My hat is off to you for doing that. It takes guts but I think that you are on to something. Bring on the spacers and props. At the end of the day if you are successful it will be ground breaking stuff.
Thanks, for the supportive comments. Truth be told being the guinea pig sucks everyone else benefits from your time and money and the pioneers never get credit for ****.

I totally agree with the end of the day stuff and it will be successful and ground breaking---but it doesn't happen overnight.

I have a lot of faith in this X-Power drive if I can set it up right--- it will blow everyone out of the water. Not many drives where you can go from a built Bravo to a Surface drive in a matter of hours.

KAP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.