Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Newbie with a cat question. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/216643-newbie-cat-question.html)

Kickstand 09-11-2009 11:56 AM

Newbie with a cat question.

Hi guys,

I'm not really a powerboat junkie but come from a drag racing background so I do love speed.

I live on the gulf coast of Florida where we do a lot of freedive spearfishing. I currently run a 22ft ProKat bay boat with a single 250 suzuki. She will run 52 with 3 guys and 66 gallons of fuel.

I've been considering upgrading to a larger boat around 24-28ft and have been looking at the performance cat boats everyone is running.

First how do they perform in rougher water, say 2-4ft gulf seas? Do any of the manufactures offer them in a CC model or would they customize the deck layout to fit my needs.

I've considered buying an older hull and rebuilding it but wasn't sure what models handled rough water best.

I don't need multiple seats and a massive stereo, just a simple layout with lots of space.

I figured I would ask here because obviously you guys know what the hell your talking about.

Thanks.

Dirty Affair 09-11-2009 12:29 PM

Look into fountains c c and lighting both are great in rough water and plenty of speed .

chuckbeecher 09-11-2009 12:32 PM

Jaguar and Mares and Ocean Express build C.C. cats.
and maybe Motion.

Kickstand 09-11-2009 01:04 PM

Thanks guys. If I could stretch what I have a couple feet and raise the gunnel's a bit it would be perfect. The main problem I'm running into is all the go fast style fishing cats ate 30+ and I want to stick to a 24-28ftr.

I'm not against ditching the CC but for what we do,, 30miles offshore or less I definitely what to stick with a cat. I know their are a few companies that build fishing cats but I was hoping for more of a hybrid of both.

I'll check out your suggestions,, thanks.

BowenCT 09-11-2009 01:09 PM

Talon built one, I believe it was a 26' with twins. Dudes that had 'em loved 'em. However, I would think running in true 3-4' seas things would be a little dicy.

Kickstand 09-11-2009 02:18 PM

I found a couple 25 Talons F/S. I agree 3-4 would suck with the shallow tunnel height and low freeboard.

The more I look at the deck boat style boats the more I think if re-worked would make a killer little dive platform.

Catmando 09-11-2009 03:03 PM

Glacier Bay and World Cat build cats under 30'. Jaguar builds a great CC but it starts at 35'.

skaterdave 09-11-2009 03:10 PM

doug wright

just a thought here, i was wondering about this same kinda of layout but with a combition of a 32 doug wright and a set of twin 4-strokes.

you might want to talk to dw or possible even skater about building you a hull. since everyones kinda slow i think that these guys might want to work with you on a new hull

Kickstand 09-11-2009 03:24 PM

I was thinking the same thing. With the big slowdown in the boating market maybe someone manufactures might think of diversifying a little. I'll make a few calls and see if anyone is interested.

Catmando,, I've been on the majority of fishing cats out there. Most are really slow and EAT fuel. I really like the speed and ability to handle anything under 2ft my 22 Bay cat has but wish it was laid out differently. It's more of a bay boat fishing boat. I mainly freedive spearfish and party at the local islands.

E Colby 09-11-2009 04:07 PM

Hustler has the 25 Talon molds and at one point was building an open cockpit layout version of the boat.