Like Tree0Likes

Newbie with a cat question.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Registered

Default Newbie with a cat question.

Hi guys,

I'm not really a powerboat junkie but come from a drag racing background so I do love speed.

I live on the gulf coast of Florida where we do a lot of freedive spearfishing. I currently run a 22ft ProKat bay boat with a single 250 suzuki. She will run 52 with 3 guys and 66 gallons of fuel.

I've been considering upgrading to a larger boat around 24-28ft and have been looking at the performance cat boats everyone is running.

First how do they perform in rougher water, say 2-4ft gulf seas? Do any of the manufactures offer them in a CC model or would they customize the deck layout to fit my needs.

I've considered buying an older hull and rebuilding it but wasn't sure what models handled rough water best.

I don't need multiple seats and a massive stereo, just a simple layout with lots of space.

I figured I would ask here because obviously you guys know what the hell your talking about.

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Registered

Look into fountains c c and lighting both are great in rough water and plenty of speed .
Old 09-11-2009, 01:32 PM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

My Boats: glasstream

Jaguar and Mares and Ocean Express build C.C. cats.
and maybe Motion.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Registered

Thanks guys. If I could stretch what I have a couple feet and raise the gunnel's a bit it would be perfect. The main problem I'm running into is all the go fast style fishing cats ate 30+ and I want to stick to a 24-28ftr.

I'm not against ditching the CC but for what we do,, 30miles offshore or less I definitely what to stick with a cat. I know their are a few companies that build fishing cats but I was hoping for more of a hybrid of both.

I'll check out your suggestions,, thanks.

Last edited by Kickstand; 09-11-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Registered

My Boats: Formula 303 SR-1

Talon built one, I believe it was a 26' with twins. Dudes that had 'em loved 'em. However, I would think running in true 3-4' seas things would be a little dicy.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Registered

I found a couple 25 Talons F/S. I agree 3-4 would suck with the shallow tunnel height and low freeboard.

The more I look at the deck boat style boats the more I think if re-worked would make a killer little dive platform.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Banned

Glacier Bay and World Cat build cats under 30'. Jaguar builds a great CC but it starts at 35'.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Registered

Default doug wright

just a thought here, i was wondering about this same kinda of layout but with a combition of a 32 doug wright and a set of twin 4-strokes.

you might want to talk to dw or possible even skater about building you a hull. since everyones kinda slow i think that these guys might want to work with you on a new hull
Old 09-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Registered

I was thinking the same thing. With the big slowdown in the boating market maybe someone manufactures might think of diversifying a little. I'll make a few calls and see if anyone is interested.

Catmando,, I've been on the majority of fishing cats out there. Most are really slow and EAT fuel. I really like the speed and ability to handle anything under 2ft my 22 Bay cat has but wish it was laid out differently. It's more of a bay boat fishing boat. I mainly freedive spearfish and party at the local islands.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1986 Stoker 26 Super Sport Tunnel

Hustler has the 25 Talon molds and at one point was building an open cockpit layout version of the boat.