Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba >

Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba

Notices

Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba

Old 09-25-2009, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow!! Again a fantastic addition to the forum!!

I have a question... what did you do with the boat while you were visiting? I am guessing there isn't a marine per se. Did the boat have security?
Old 09-25-2009, 11:08 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NoWake200
Wow!! Again a fantastic addition to the forum!!

I have a question... what did you do with the boat while you were visiting? I am guessing there isn't a marine per se. Did the boat have security?
Marina Hemingway is huge as you can see from the Google Earth pic. There were only a few boats there. Prior to the Revolution the marina would be filled with Americans coming over for a week or weekend, just as they now go to the Bahamas.
There was security 24 / 7 ( armed ). I did not lose any sleep worrying about the boat.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba-marina%2520hemingway-%2520havana.jpg  
Old 09-25-2009, 11:12 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Expat
Bob,

Thanks for the pics and writeup. You hit it right with your comments. I felt the same on all points.

You are really using your boat as you intended and we all enjoy it. Great job and can't wait to see your next adventure.

David
Hi David and thanks. I am hoping Team PREDATOR will be tied up at your dock sometime next summer. We will see.
Question for you. Which month(s) are the winds the lightest? I can probably find that on one of the weather sites I reference, but what is your thoughts on that?

Bob
Old 09-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Great read! Thanks for the thread, sure sounds like it was an incredible adventure!

Glad everything went as planned.

Kurt
Old 09-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Marina Hemingway is huge as you can see from the Google Earth pic. There were only a few boats there. Prior to the Revolution the marina would be filled with Americans coming over for a week or weekend, just as they now go to the Bahamas.
There was security 24 / 7 ( armed ). I did not lose any sleep worrying about the boat.

Bob
Huge is an understatement by the looks of the photo.

Thanks for the answering my question.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Wink

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Hi David and thanks. I am hoping Team PREDATOR will be tied up at your dock sometime next summer. We will see.
Question for you. Which month(s) are the winds the lightest? I can probably find that on one of the weather sites I reference, but what is your thoughts on that?

Bob
Bob,

You should see what I am looking at right now. Ocean looks like a lake. You can see the wake/trail boats are leaving in the water for miles. Nice. Anyway, the months with the lightest winds and calm seas for powerboating is from around July to Oct. The months with the most wind and biggest waves are Dec. to April or so. The other months can go either way. But, around the islands where we usually run doesn't get huge except for storm weather. So, even in the middle of a blustery winter day the temperature is 82, the seas are 3-5ft, and winds 15-18kts. And even in winter you get those days like today where you just have to say "screw it" and drop the boat in and take a run somewhere. Obviously, when the seas are up around the islands it means they will be much bigger out there where will you be making a couple crossings. Those winter months will have the roughest seas. The picture below is of Saba Rock and the open sea behind it. All that being said, I do feel you had some bad luck with the weather for the trip to here you started last year. I guess you will just have to try again??!!??

Keep in touch,

David
Attached Thumbnails Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba-sabarockseaborne.jpg  
Old 09-26-2009, 01:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Expat
Bob,

You should see what I am looking at right now. Ocean looks like a lake. You can see the wake/trail boats are leaving in the water for miles. Nice. Anyway, the months with the lightest winds and calm seas for powerboating is from around July to Oct. The months with the most wind and biggest waves are Dec. to April or so. The other months can go either way. But, around the islands where we usually run doesn't get huge except for storm weather. So, even in the middle of a blustery winter day the temperature is 82, the seas are 3-5ft, and winds 15-18kts. And even in winter you get those days like today where you just have to say "screw it" and drop the boat in and take a run somewhere. Obviously, when the seas are up around the islands it means they will be much bigger out there where will you be making a couple crossings. Those winter months will have the roughest seas. The picture below is of Saba Rock and the open sea behind it. All that being said, I do feel you had some bad luck with the weather for the trip to here you started last year. I guess you will just have to try again??!!??

Keep in touch,

David
Thanks David. I love the pic! When we started our trip in late April I knew it was a bit early but was hoping to get lucky and have enough days where it would lay down for us to get there but it was not to be. My thought right now is to possibly ship the boat to Puerto Rico and run over to BVI from there in time next spring for your poker run. I would then secure the boat in BVI possibly at Nanny Cay Marina and then do some trips out from there over a month or so before heading back to FL via Turks and Caicos and Bahamas when the weather would be better. I think that could work pretty slick and would ensure I got there in time for your poker run and return to USA in ideal summer weather.
I will keep in touch with you on this over the months ahead.
Again thanks,
Bob

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 09-26-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Registered

I don't know about everyone else buy i want to be like Bob!!!!!!!
Old 09-26-2009, 06:53 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by tieboy
I don't know about everyone else buy i want to be like Bob!!!!!!!
He, he, I'm blushing ! What you may not know is that Bob was pretty much a workaholic for 30 years growing his business. One day about 10 years ago I woke up and said, hey, I've paid my dues and it's time I started to work a bit less and play a bit more with my boats. So far it's worked out pretty good and happy I can share some of my experiences on the water with you. As you can probably tell, I love the world of offshore boating and friendships that have opened up to me.

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 09-26-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:04 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Bob for all the pictures and description of your adventures.

It is great!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.