Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Purchasing Fountain Powerboats (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/216936-purchasing-fountain-powerboats.html)

raceday500 09-16-2009 10:24 AM

Purchasing Fountain Powerboats

Hustler is currently in negotiations to purchase Fountain powerboats and all its assets. As of Oct. 5th, Fountain powerboats will go up for auction and no longer be doing business. Hustler Powerboats will move its operations to NC and re-build the Fountain and Baja Line to full capacity over the next 4 years and keep the Fountain Legacy intact as we feel it is a big part of Performance boat history and do not want to see it die off. We are dedicated to re-strengthening both Fountain and Baja, keeping the same look and feel with improved quality and workmanship. Over these last couple years, Hustler has been blessed with sales and is running strong and would like to give back to the boating community by saving these companies from being auctioned off piece by piece.

If you have any question please feel free to email me at [email protected]

freshwaterfiend 09-16-2009 10:28 AM

Make the beak an option, change the throttles back to a normal setup, get rid of the carpeted head and this could be very cool. Best of luck in the venture.

tblrklakemo 09-16-2009 10:34 AM

Sounds like a win win.......move all operations for three big name boat manufactures to one spot, eliminate a lot of duplicate costs in the process, stop building production numbers.....and hopefully turn a profit. I like it.....sorry it had to happen, but I like the plan.

Wildman_grafix 09-16-2009 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by freshwaterfiend (Post 2953728)
Make the beak an option, change the throttles back to a normal setup, get rid of the carpeted head and this could be very cool. Best of luck in the venture.

You know I thought I would hate the left handed throttles but now it seems very natural. I am not sure I want to go back to right handed.
Agree with the head, I like the beak look.

Biggest problem I have is with the limited head room in the cabin, when they get longer they still have no room.

topfueleb 09-16-2009 10:48 AM

agree with the left hand throtles. having driven many race cars over the years (some with hand brakes) all were rh controls(shifter,chutes,brakes etcc) after driving the fountain left hand controls feel natural for a rh person, stronger arm on the wheel. As far as the buy-out i hope it happens and stays in nc.

JoeD 09-16-2009 10:56 AM

Does Joe get all of Reggies gold chains,or does he have enough of his own-------good luck hope the deal works out.

T2x 09-16-2009 10:56 AM

With all due respect, I don't see how this is a "giving back to the boating community" thing. It is obviously a business decision no more, no less. Anything else and you are not serving your own best interests IMHO.

That having been said, there are far too many "brands" in the high performance industry and far too much manufacturing capacity for future needs and demand. Too me, saving a "brand" is not in the best interests of the industry as a whole.

It is great that Hustler is doing well as a limited production semi custom builder. This also applies to Cigarette, Skater, and a few other builders. Frankly, that's enough for the future.

What does make sense is moving Hustler from high cost Long Island to low cost rural North Carolina. Trying to leverage that into making Hustler a high unit producer will be very problematical. Do the industry a "favor" and let the Fountain and Baja "brands" rest in peace.

In any event this is just my .02...and I wish Hustler good luck tilting at windmills.

T2x

25 hors la loi 09-16-2009 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 2953755)
Do the industry a "favor" and let the Fountain and Baja "brands" rest in peace.
T2x

Wow , i don`t want that ...when i remember Harley-Davidson they have hard time in `80 , and then since they make the rule ...this is why we need entry level ...and i wish good luck to every group who try something ...

T2x i quote you , but it`s not againts you ...
Christian

TeamShogren.com 09-16-2009 11:46 AM

Interesting but sounds like a rumor????

Interesting (maybe not bad, they build a nice boat) but was not aware that Hustler had put up a deposit with the bank. Sounds like they will be there tomorrow with their investors.

I doubt very strongly it will go to auction.

Regards,

www.teamshogren.com

Fountain & BAJA By Fountain

Originally Posted by raceday500 (Post 2953724)
Hustler is currently in negotiations to purchase Fountain powerboats and all its assets. As of Oct. 5th, Fountain powerboats will go up for auction and no longer be doing business. Hustler Powerboats will move its operations to NC and re-build the Fountain and Baja Line to full capacity over the next 4 years and keep the Fountain Legacy intact as we feel it is a big part of Performance boat history and do not want to see it die off. We are dedicated to re-strengthening both Fountain and Baja, keeping the same look and feel with improved quality and workmanship. Over these last couple years, Hustler has been blessed with sales and is running strong and would like to give back to the boating community by saving these companies from being auctioned off piece by piece.

If you have any question please feel free to email me at [email protected]

T2x 09-16-2009 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by 25 hors la loi (Post 2953778)
Wow , i don`t want that ...when i remember Harley-Davidson they have hard time in `80 , and then since they make the rule ...this is why we need entry level ...and i wish good luck to every group who try something ...

T2x i quote you , but it`s not againts you ...
Christian

Understood, but motorcycles have only one or two "iconic" brands in the U.S. (Harley and Indian?).

In boats we have Scarab, Cigarette, Magnum, Donzi, Baja, Checkmate, Formula, Fountain, Velocity, Sutphen, Pantera, Skater, Hustler, OL, etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

dreamer 09-16-2009 12:34 PM

exactly... look at the list of the owners forums...

and the boat market is tiny vs motrcycles...

smaller market and wayyyyyyyy to many brands

dreamer 09-16-2009 12:36 PM

at last count how many models did fountain have... perf and fish

and what ever happent to the monster fountan fish boat?

sunsation96 09-16-2009 12:50 PM

Wow never looked at it that way but there is alot of builders all fighting for the same sale. But I also think that Fountian in the CC Fish Market was a smart move for them. You might see more builders do that over time to keep sales up.

C_Spray 09-16-2009 12:52 PM

It was a constant parade of projects like no-expense-spared speed records and the ill-fated yacht that really hurt Fountain. It might be fine for the brand to survive in a pared-down version with the most popular models continuing. There are a lot of loyal owners out there, and a few of them must be planning to upgrade at some point.

Regardless of the outcome, this is classic case of capitalism at work. Hopefully Hustler's gamble will pay off, the market will recover, and the maximum number of jobs can be saved.

But - Darwin can be a b!tch.

boatme 09-16-2009 12:53 PM

are we getting the FAJA Hustle ?

boatme 09-16-2009 01:00 PM

add to the back of the old Baja boats and call it a Bustler and to the back of the Fountains and call it a Fustler LOL

Magicfloat 09-16-2009 01:07 PM

If someone is in negotiations to buy a company,why post on a public forum prior to sealing the deal?

carcrash 09-16-2009 02:17 PM

Any positive publicity is good.

five cent worth 09-16-2009 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Magicfloat (Post 2953856)
If someone is in negotiations to buy a company,why post on a public forum prior to sealing the deal?

This is what I was thinking - from the post, it sounds like no cash has been transferred and no deal has been set.

I do agree it would be awesome to see all the brands come together under one roof. In being through a similar transition in a different category, the synergies are great and benefit all.

aTX427 09-16-2009 03:40 PM

Fustler

Back4More 09-16-2009 03:51 PM

This is news to me............

J.B. Marshall 09-16-2009 04:15 PM

If the company is gonig to a liquidation auction then no one is buying the company as a whole. If it was a negotiation to purchase it would not have been publicized until all contracts and deal were finalized.

Catmando 09-16-2009 04:31 PM

Hustler buying Fountain wow I didn't know they were doing that well. I really liked that big triple Yanmar 51. Would be nice if Joe could make it all work...

joew. 09-16-2009 04:33 PM

So will a Baja be a:

Baja by fountain by Hustler????

Because that is not going to leave much room for graphics:coolcowboy:

plumbers crack 09-16-2009 04:39 PM

You beat me to it!! rumors are fun. brings up the price maybe show up and take a step aside fee. That would be nice!

How are you FORMULA MAN????

Catmando 09-16-2009 04:42 PM

How's your back Robert? Better I hope. :)

jeff32 09-16-2009 04:42 PM

check out the left column on their site, click on link

http://www.hustlerspeedboats.com/

Sydwayz 09-16-2009 04:44 PM

My question as well as soon as I saw the first post! ????

Magicfloat 09-16-2009 04:50 PM

As long as we are talking rumors,and this is just that .I was told by a reliable source that the new owner of Fountain has the initials WF,and the person he will hire to run it has the initials RF.Aren't rumors fun?

jdnca1 09-16-2009 05:34 PM

They must have a signed contract....:drink:

johnnyboatman 09-16-2009 07:29 PM

seems like it would cost alot of money to buy that companie, even if hustler is doing real good, in todays market you better be ready for slow sales w/ winter coming on and this kind of shake up i would be real scared of that kind of comitment.

OL40SVX 09-16-2009 07:33 PM

Being a big Hustler fan, im not so sure this is a smart move for them. Joe should really think this through! Keep concentrating on building and sell bad ass Hustler's like that new Rockit about to go to paint!

26 REDLINE 09-16-2009 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm (Post 2954207)
Being a big Hustler fan, im not so sure this is a smart move for them. Joe should really think this through! Keep concentrating on building and sell bad ass Hustler's like that new Rockit about to go to paint!

I agree, I just don't see how they will ever get the money back that it is going to cost to buy Fountain, if anything maybe come out with a couple of more models like some fishing boats...I just think Reggie bit off more than he could chew with the deal he made with Baja:coolcowboy:

Need-the-Speed 09-16-2009 07:49 PM

Perhaps this will be orchastrated the same way Fountain acquired Baja. I would assume Brunswick would have substantial involvment in the proceedings.

OL40SVX 09-16-2009 08:18 PM

Brunswick has no involvement in the ownership of Hustler.

SLOWBOATER 09-16-2009 08:29 PM

well if anybody can do it joe can
i bought a 39 rockit this year and i love it
joe,john,mary ellen and everyone at the factory have been so good to deal with,if thay tell you something that is the way it is
thay have been so good to deal with and have made buying a new custom boat very enjoyable
the rockit is all thay said it wouls be and then some
good luck hustler with your future