Notices

Repairs on twins

Old 09-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairs on twins

I currently have a single engine set up, I do 95% of maintenance myself. The open engine space available I have now is a luxury. I literally lie down in the bilge to work on my engine. I'm looking to upgrade to a larger boat with twins. My question is with tight distances between engines, do you have to pull the motors to work on them, or can you work by taking off the risers or exhaust, for example just to swap spark plugs. If so, how do you get the engines lined up perfect each time, sounds like a real pain in the ass. I knew getting a twin set up was going to double my operating costs, but I didn't realize how physically demanding it's gonna be also.

thanx
Old 09-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Changing spark plugs is usually pretty easy with a side/side setup. Staggered engines will make some things easier, some things harder. Changing starters is a different story & every boat is different.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Registered

I do really hate changing starters on every twin sterndrive boat I've owned where the starters were bottom mount. A real frustrating pain of a job, but often doable (but likely with a few scrapes and curses!) But it's worth it for the sound and feel for me.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:10 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Basic maintenance is not much harder with twins. Changing spark plugs is no big deal as long as you have some different length extensions and knuckles. It will depend on what exhaust you have on how difficult it is.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:21 AM
Registered

Finding a boat with a little step between the rear seat and the front of the motors is a big help too. That way you have something flat and stable to kneel on when becoming a contortionist.