Notices

Bahama Destinations

Old 09-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bahama Destinations

I want to take my boat to the bahamas next summer. Where are some great places to spend the day. Secluded areas with snorkeling and awsome veiws. I am thinking of doing the fpc run and at the end of the run spending another week over there exploring some different spots. Any info and pics would be great thanks.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Registered

Went with FPC in July. Awesome run. First day spent the night at Bahama Bay Resort @ West End. Next day went to Port Lucaya / Freeport for a couple days then went south to Bimini for a couple nights. Dove ship wrecks, rafted up on tiny islands, partied with the locals, met some awesome people and stayed at great places along the way. Going again next year, can't wait.
Attached Thumbnails Bahama Destinations-p7160225.jpg  

Last edited by jima97; 09-21-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:15 PM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

You need to get into the Abacos and visit and stay on Green Turtle and Marsh Harbor and Hope Town and visit Great Guana Cay for the day and do Grabbers and Nippers.
Come to think about it Grabbers just got their marina and also Orchid Bay marina is nice but you can always just tie up at the city docks on all the islands. Maybe a little run then down to Eleuthera and see Harbour Island and Spanish Wells and their pink beaches.
Lauderdale or Palm Beach to Green Turtle is only about 6 hrs. at 30-40 mph cruise alot shorter faster. Not much 93 octane around. I'm down there all the time if you have any questions.
The Abacos are my favorite chain down there.

Last edited by chuckbeecher; 09-21-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by chuckbeecher
You need to get into the Abacos and visit and stay on Green Turtle and Marsh Harbor and Hope Town and visit Great Guana Cay for the day and do Grabbers and Nippers.
Come to think about it Grabbers just got their marina and also Orchid Bay marina is nice but you can always just tie up at the city docks on all the islands. Maybe a little run then down to Eleuthera and see Harbour Island and Spanish Wells and their pink beaches.
Lauderdale or Palm Beach to Green Turtle is only about 6 hrs. at 30-40 mph cruise alot shorter faster. Not much 93 octane around. I'm down there all the time if you have any questions.
The Abacos are my favorite chain down there.
I have actually been to harbor island and drove through spanish wells. It is beautiful there. I went and stayed on a freinds 74 viking and we left harbour island and went to atlantis and then back. I think it would be awsome to do a tour through some of the islands. I will have to get with you and get some info. Thanks for the post.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Registered

I have a condo in Marsh Harbour which is in the center of town - keep your boat at Boat Harbour, which is next door and a somewhat secure marina. You will be centrally located to all the Abaco islands. I strongly suggest purchasing the Cruising Guide to the Abacos - (White House Press) it will pretty much tell you everything you need to know prior to making the crossing. PM me if your interested in pictures and/or renting.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:30 AM
Registered

Treasure Cay has a fantastic marina that is tucked in and very protected. Has a great bar too! Close too all places mentioned above.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I also wanted to do this trip, could it made with a 33 powerplay
Old 09-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by baja27
I also wanted to do this trip, could it made with a 33 powerplay
Yes on the right day. Summertime when it is flat. The crossing to the Bahamas is 50-60 miles and after that everything is running the chain of islands, not open ocean.
Went twice in a 32 Sunsation. Once it was dead flat like a lake, the other time was 4 footers and I should have not left FL. Went anyway and was 3rd boat to arrive in a pack of 12, didn't want to be left behind!
Old 09-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

www.oldbahamabay.com - West End, nice but not much to do and very pricey

www.ourlucaya.com - Port Lucaya, very commercial but cheaper

www.biminibay.com - looks nice but wasn't there last time I went to Bimini

www.greenturtleclub.com - ok

www.nippersbar.com - fun but not great if you don't drink!
Old 09-22-2009, 04:37 PM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

www.bahamas.com