Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Decision made Active Thunder/Cigarette (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/21725-decision-made-active-thunder-cigarette.html)

Skypirate 04-06-2002 05:25 PM

Decision made Active Thunder/Cigarette

Several weeks ago, I started a thread asking for thoughts about the two boats I was considering purchasing: 38’ Cigarette, and 37’ Active Thunder. I received a lot of helpful input, and many of you wanted me to keep you abreast of the decision I had made.

During the last few weeks, I have been on many demo rides. The first of which was on 37’ Active Thunder. This was an outstanding ride, complete with 4’-6’ seas. My next ride was on a Cigarette 38’ Top Gun twin step, followed by a Cigarette 36’ Gladiator. To my surprise, I felt the Active Thunders had a better ride, and handling.

I thought, “MY GOD MAN, HOW COULD THIS BE?!” After all, this was the legendary Cigarette. I have owned both Cigarette, and classic Donzis. I was so surprised by this that I began to doubt my previous conclusion about the Active Thunder, and requested another ride from Active Thunder.

I have been boating nearly my whole life. I have delivered sail and motor boats up and down the East Coast for many years. I hold a Coast Guards Masters license. I am not an expert, but I do feel that I have a pretty good knowledge of what type of ride I can expect from various sea conditions. I have no doubt that the Active Thunder will prove outstanding in any seas I care to venture into with a vessel of this size.

Many of you have commented that the rigging, fit and finish not being as quality as Cigarette; however, I have found just the opposite. The older models, in my opinion, were rigged with average equipment at best. A lot of plastic hardware was used, as well as a very basic cabin and cockpit design. The new models (2002) are quite different. The hardware has been upgraded, as well as the cabin and cockpit design. The rigging is top of the line. One of my original requirements was to have a cabin with amenities. Some comments were made that I either wanted an off shore boat, or I didn’t, and that perhaps a Sea Ray would be better. Cigarette appears to be the only company NOT offering such amenities. Outerlimits, Fountain, Powerplay, etc… all offer boats with cabin amenities. This is in no way a dig against Cigarette; they just don’t seem to cater to my needs, as well as others who have the same desires.

Some of you have mentioned that you had purchased an Active Thunder because it was the best boat for the value. Value was not an issue for me. I gladly would have purchased a Cigarette had it filled all my requirements; however, it did not. Those being a 37’-38’ step hull with 500EFI, that would run in the mid to high 80’s, have a great ride, have a cabin with all the amenities, top of the line rigging, and an outstanding fit and finish. Active Thunder met all my requirements.

Thank you all for your input. It was very much appreciated, and critical in my decision. The fact that Pat and Steve paid for breast implants for my girlfriend had absolutely nothing to do with my decision, but that’s another thread.

I look forward to seeing all of you out there. I’ll be the one with the redhead with double D’s.

Pure Energy 04-06-2002 05:49 PM

Well said.

Happy Boating!

Whatdoin 04-06-2002 06:17 PM

Wow, what is it about these Active Thunders? Good Luck!
:)

thunderdan 04-06-2002 07:07 PM

Congrats and glad to see you bought the boat that you felt was the best one, for you. Look forward to watching it's progress on the build. Best of Luck:D

thunderdan 04-06-2002 07:08 PM

Congrats and glad to see you bought the boat that you felt was the best one. As you probably already know I felt the same way. :D :p Look forward to watching it's progress on the build. Best of Luck:D :p

Thunder Roy 04-06-2002 10:47 PM

You will be happy! Welcome aboard.:)

Playn 04-06-2002 11:14 PM

Congrats on your purchase! Now post some pics:D :D

eastcoaster 04-06-2002 11:18 PM

Baja has all the ammenities....just kiddin!!!!

Great post, good luck with the boat, one question for ya.
Did Cig. and AT spend the time and cater to you personally, was one better than the other at making you feel "family"?
Thanks, interested in the response.

Back4More 04-06-2002 11:25 PM

I don't know man...I still have to see one of these in F-2 to make my mind up.
Sorry...thats just how i feel.
Can you get a 37 with #3s or #6s...I would like to see one with big power in it.
Keep us posted on how she holds up.

Jassman 04-06-2002 11:53 PM

Skypirate, congrats man, good desicion, Im gladd your happy. It will be fun watching your boat being built, you've got to be excited.:D I know I am, 5 more weeks and I get mine. Hope to see ya at some poker runs before the one at the end of the year with Pat, take care, good luck. Jeff Jassby:D

Back4more, allways bustin balls, :p ---- You see people left and right telling you how the boat rides and handles, then they second guess it, why, cause it might be less money and built as good or better (not damning other boats here) so they test drive the competition again, to come back to THUNDER. Like I said before, take a ride, it says it all. The biggest power your going to see on a 37 Thunder right now is K.E. 675s w/Imco extreme SC drives, my boat. A custom shop means you can get whatever you can afford, so sell your Fountain and order a 37 A.T. with sc900 and #6:D, thats what you want:D

Whatdoin 04-07-2002 11:02 AM

JASSMAN - how fast is your boat supposed to run with the Eickert 675's? I see the other guy choose AT over the Cig. Are you sure the Active Thunder guys aren't hypnotising you or something? Did you go out in real water, or just in the canal? Because anything can ride good in smooth water!

Jassman 04-07-2002 11:19 AM

We all have gone out in the Atlantic, right off Pompano beach, thats where Thunder does its test rides. My ride was in 4-6 footers, Dans was in 6-8 footers. Skypirate, I cant say, but he can, go to the Thunder web site check out Todd Kjell website, that will give you an idea what coming off of a 8 plus wave in a 32 will do. It rides like nothing else, and you are start seeing the believers that are coming over from some of the big name boat co, like I said go for a ride, check the quality out, then make your desicion.

As to speed, Im satisfied with 105, A.T thinks closer to 108-110, but Im loaded out with a/c, generator, tv, dvd, pump out, playpen dual bed, L shaped rear seating, the list goes on, so Im going to be a few hundred pounds heavier than 8400 pounds dry, I'll post some numbers when I pick it up, or wait till the POWERBOAT add comes out.:D

thunderdan 04-07-2002 12:18 PM

Whatdoin-

I was out in true 6-8 footers, as verified by some doubting thomas who check the local weather service after I posted my response. The boat handled well and landed softly. You can do a search by my user number and read my post.

As to speeds I am also having ke 675 motors put in my boat. I am guessing that loaded out with all the ammenties we will be close to 8800-8900 lbs. I am certian I will see 95mph with out a problem. I am being overly cautious in my estimation as the only baseline I have is a 37 AT with the avh bottom and 600 merc staggared motors did a solid 95 on gps. The is the old style cabin so the boat is a bit lighter but I also have 150 more hp. My boat should be splashed in the next three weeks so I will post some solid number, yes I have tattletale gps spedo and will post pictures of the recall.:D :D

Back4More 04-07-2002 01:53 PM

Thunderdan,
Please post pics of your boat when done...also include transom shots!
Thanks

Jassman 04-07-2002 04:04 PM

Hey Thunder Dan, that boat was the old, old, 99 version,(awesome boat) one that I believed weighted in at 8900 pounds, and did 98 on gps, not 95. Ours start at 8300-8400 pounds plus all the stuff. Not to mentioned our pad and step has been slightly tweeked and you have 250 extra hp and more torque, not 150. Anyways loaded up with gas and friends will be a super easy 100mph:D thats all I care about.

thunderdan 04-07-2002 04:48 PM

Back4more,
I will post some pictures, and even some of the transom:D :D
Jass,
OK, then:p :D :D It will be fast.

ScreaminDemon 04-07-2002 08:21 PM

SKYPIRATE - please be very specific in answering my question. WHAT did the Cigarette do or not do compared to the Active Thunder AVH. Many here brag about the AT, but how much different can it be compared to the Cig? Just curious as i have heard the cigarette is a really good performer...please be specific...This is very important, thanks!

boat nut 04-09-2002 06:33 PM

Dear Skypirate,

OUTSTANDING CHOICE!! Great boat, and even MORE important, great people to deal with. Believe me, you can't even imagine how important that is. When you are spending this kind of money, time & effort and dealing with something that is extremely important to you, there is nothing more important than to have a quality relationship with your boat manufacturer. And on top of all this, you are getting a boat that has a cabin, with ammenities and will still out perform and run circles around the Cigarette TS Top Gun!!!

Use it in good health!

cigarette1 04-09-2002 06:48 PM

Heh .. Heh ..... he said ".. run circles around the Cigarette TS Top Gun!!! " ..... Now that's comedy :D

Back4More 04-09-2002 07:24 PM

I know:rolleyes:

Jassman 04-09-2002 09:49 PM

And I suppose you'll say next that I converted Boat Nut into a Thunder fan also;) :p :D You will see our transom, allright,:D

Skypirate 04-09-2002 10:19 PM

ScreaminDemon

Let me start by saying that Cigarette is an outstanding ride. The new step hulls fly level, and are great in rough water. The Active Thunder not only flies level, but also has a much softer landing than Cigarette.
On 4’-6’ seas, the Active Thunder never landed on it’s side, or out of shape regardless of head on, quartering or following seas. I have heard that a twin step hull, especially a Cigarette, has the ability to stay in the water better than a single step, therefore able to go faster by keeping the prop in the water. I did not find this to be true. The AT was able to remain in the water just as well as the Cigarette if not better. I hope you understand that the Cigarette Top Gun and the Gladiator both ride great. I just feel the AT is better. I know this is hard to believe. I found this difficult to believe myself. That is why I requested a second ride from AT. It did not take long on that second ride to know that my feelings where right. If you can get a ride in a Cigarette and an Active Thunder on the same day, under the same sea conditions then I think you will get the best comparison. Again some say they went with AT because it was the better value. I would have bought a Cigarette if the ride and handling where better. But they where not. If you remember my original thread, ride was my first priority. The cabin amenities where least important. I also had a concern about value. I searched Boat Trader on line, Yacht World, BUCNET, OSO and a handful of well-known dealers. They’re where less then three 37’s available across the US, and maybe eight 25,28,32 boat’s available. Since AT has been building boats for 13 years. I am guessing they have built 300+ boats. That is not many used boats for sale. The owners appear to be happy with them and it appears the resale is quite good. I do agree that an AT in F2 would be great proving ground, however having been involved in auto racing I also know a team can make or brake you. Take a ride, only you can decide what is best for you.

h2owarrior 04-09-2002 10:46 PM

As I posted on the AT thread, MOST Excellent. It would be great to meet you at the Thunder Run in October.

Your comments about the ride are right on. I also looked at several different makes but could not believe the AT. The efficiency of the hull in addition to its rough water capabilities, we were in 5' to 6' seas as well, were what made the deal for us.

If I could add (screaminDemon's question) Pat and Steve have been the absolute best to work with on this boat. We did not want the new side entry cabin, so they are making a center entry for us. Even beyond that, excellent customer service.

Congrats on the purchase and look forward to seeing you on the water on the way to Key West.

For those that do not believe, Remember

satisfaction69 04-10-2002 12:13 AM

There is a 37' At running in Factory II the boat is a 37' AVH Active Thunder and the name and number are F2-44 Team Outlaw, Blue and white graphics. I've only seen the boat race on the SBI Circuit and it ran good considering the 4 canopied F2 boats in that same class.
Later Sat69

P.S. If I were'nt so Addicted to Cigarettes I'd probrably have an AT 37' AVH.

SLINGSHOT 04-10-2002 09:01 AM

active thunder

I TOURED AT'S FACTORY ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO WHEN I WAS PICKING UP MY SLINGSHOT...THEY REALLY HAVE STEPPED UP TO THE PLATE I THINK ALL OF THEIR STUFF IS HIGH QUALITY, I DID CRAWL AROUND IN THUNDER DAN'S BOAT ( I THINK ) IT WAS NICE TO SEE HOW THEY WERE PUT TOGETHER IN RAW FORM. I REALLY WANT A 42' WHEN IT COMES OUT BECAUSE OF THEIR CABINS I AM 6'4" SO THAT PLAYS A BIG ROLE. THE ADDED BENEFIT IS THEY ARE FAST AND IF YOU GUYS DONT KNOW YOUR HISTORY THE HULL IS A DDC FROM HARRY SCHOELL WHICH WAS USED ON MULTI MILLION DOLLAR MEGA YACHTS(INFINITY) AND ITS PATENED WHICH IS NO BS. I THINK ITS GOOD THAT THEY TEAMED UP WITH HIM AND ANNOUNCED IT INSTEAD OF TRYING TO SELL THE HULL AS SNAKE OIL.......IT GIVES THEM CREDIBILITY!

Ike 04-10-2002 09:04 AM

I thought active thunder has been around for only six or seven years and before that was owned by a company in RI.? and was called just active?.:confused:

Rick G 04-10-2002 09:57 AM

Skypirate, the one determining factor you did not address in your evaluation was resale value and market. I agree that both companies build a quality product. But it is my thought that when it comes time to sell or trade your boat you may have an easier time and get better resale from the cigarette, as there is probably a large market for these boats. I also agree that cigs ammenities are not good as other companies as I started out looking for a 28 foot cig and ended up with a formula 302 ls for those very reasons . With two young kids head room, a galley and enclosed head are as important as offshore handling I believe that trade offs have to be made. Not withstanding had I bought the cig I would probably get better resale than my formula. Just my thoughts on the matter, by the way congrats on the purchase and hope you enjoy to the max. Rick G.

ActiveThunderTodd 04-11-2002 12:47 AM

Ike,

Active Thunder has been around since the 80's. They were built in N. Illinios. The current owner boat the company in 94 after buying a 32' for himself. He moved the business to its current location a couple years later. But he could give you the history better than I can.

They have always made a rock solid boat. In the last few years however, they have stepped up to build one of the finest finished boats as well. I don't think skypirate could have really made a bad choice with the 2 boats he was looking at. He just made the choice that fit what he was looking for better.

Dean Ferry 04-11-2002 11:07 AM

SP,
Congrats. on you new boat purchase. I just sent you a private message, from one "Islander to another":cool: I good to see another Hi-Perf. boater on OSO, who is from MI, FL. Check your mail.
MD

AC 04-11-2002 12:13 PM

Congratulations - but did you take a good look at the fit & finish on the AT - nowhere near the Cigarette! AT is not consistent - I had two - now I have a Cigarette!
Hope you get a good one!

:D

Jayl13 04-11-2002 12:38 PM

Not to dis anyone with an active thunder at all please dont take this the wrong way, but your boats are replica's of SONIC right?

Hey Cottelese, long time no speak man, Whats up?
Jason

ActiveThunderTodd 04-11-2002 02:17 PM

AC, what year AT's did you have. I agree that a few years ago the AT's were a little less than plush in there appointments. I think they put a very very nice boat out then, fit and finish and quality was clean and sharp and meticulous, just not as plush as some of the other brands. However the most recent boats they are making now will rival anything out there as far as plushness, fit and finish.

Jay
The only thing thats similar to Sonics is the walk around deck design. My 32' is a far bigger and deeper boat then the Sonic 31' which is the closest in size. The running surface is completely different and once you get away from the walk around, the decks are very different as well. Sonics are great boats but they are really not the same as an Active Thunder.

AC 04-11-2002 03:37 PM

Originally posted by ActiveThunderTodd
AC, what year AT's did you have. I agree that a few years ago the AT's were a little less than plush in there appointments. I think they put a very very nice boat out then, fit and finish and quality was clean and sharp and meticulous, just not as plush as some of the other brands. However the most recent boats they are making now will rival anything out there as far as plushness, fit and finish.

Jay
The only thing thats similar to Sonics is the walk around deck design. My 32' is a far bigger and deeper boat then the Sonic 31' which is the closest in size. The running surface is completely different and once you get away from the walk around, the decks are very different as well. Sonics are great boats but they are really not the same as an Active Thunder.

ActiveThunderTodd,

I had a 1997 25 At which was very nice - fit & finish/detail was done very well. I bought it from a dealer up in MI. I trade in the 25 for a new 28 AT. Ordered the boat in Oct 2000 - told Pat I wanted the boat at the end of March 2001. Called Pat at the end of March and said I was coming to pick the boat up in two weeks - he said the boat was finished and will be ready when you get here. I drove 1,200 mile and the boat was not finished. I had to wait around for 1 week for the boat. "$$ I lost for work, lodging, etc". Back to the fit & finish of the 28 - the fit & finish was not good at all! I found spider cracks all over the hull & sides, cabin glass work was a mess, and I can go on. I don't like to knock anyone's product but this was not good! I had a bad experience!
Life goes on!

Jassman 04-11-2002 04:26 PM

I find it funny that you had one Thunder, and obviously liked it to order a larger Thunder. Whether it was ready on time or not is inmaterial, before I would have drove out to Thunder, I would have picked up the phone and said: hey Pat, is my fricken boat done or what, (he's real easy to talk to) I'm leaving today, that would have saved you a week, in time and money. Sounds a little funny to me, your not telling us the whole story, and there are always 2 sides, what was the real reason why you wanted to sell it right away, and quality has never been an issue with them, otherwise you wouldn't have bought twice. Was it the colors, the interior colors, what motors and drives did you go with, was it standard or tricked out:confused: What year and size Cigarette do you own now, thanks Jeff Jassby

AC 04-11-2002 05:08 PM

Originally posted by JASSMAN
I find it funny that you had one Thunder, and obviously liked it to order a larger Thunder. Whether it was ready on time or not is inmaterial, before I would have drove out to Thunder, I would have picked up the phone and said: hey Pat, is my boat done, I'm leaving today, that would have saved you a week, in time and money. Sounds a little funny to me, your not telling us the whole story, and there are always 2 sides, what was the real reason why you wanted to sell it right away, and quality has never been an issue with them, otherwise you wouldn't have bought twice. Was it the colors, the interior colors, what motors and drives did you go with, was it standard or tricked out:confused: What year and size Cigarette do you own now, thanks Jeff Jassby

I called Pat 3 days before I left and he said came down and pick your boat up "IT's DONE" I said to Pat don't let me drive 1200 miles if it is not done. There’s nothing funny about that! How would you like to drive 1200 miles to pick up you boat and find out it wasn't done after the owner told you to come and pick up the boat? Then have to say a week (pay for lodging, loss of $$ from my job, and
your future wife giving you hell because you should be home because you were getting married the following week!

I sold the boat because it had spider cracks all over the hull and on one side. I told pat about it and he checked the mold and found the problem (I gave Pat the measurements of all the spider cracks which matched up on the mold).
I don't like bad mouthing anyone but I think anyone would be pissed.
I bought the 28 because I was happy with the 25 AT.
Anything else you want to know just let me know!

Jassman 04-11-2002 05:17 PM

Sure, what kind of A.T. boat did you order, what was in it, you never anwsered that, along what what you own now, size and year. I take nothing for granted, just tell us the whole truth, not bits and pieces that only make you look good, there is more to your story, you're the only person in 2 years that I have talked to that had these problems, everyone else seems to be happy, including the person who bought your supposed spider cracked hull of a boat.

Skypirate 04-13-2002 01:00 AM

AC

AC

I did look at fit & finish as well as rigging on both companies. The paintwork on Cigarette, especially the Lip-ship addition is second to none. His painter is brilliant. However I wanted a boat that met all of my requirements, not one that just looked good. The fit & finish on a Cigarette is outstanding, however they appear to be the only company not offering cabins with amenities. I think the confusion with Active Thunder is everyone who has brought up this topic is comparing older AT’s, prior to 2000. Many AT owners as well as myself have said that the older AT was very average. The design of cabin and cockpit was a bit plane. The hardware had a lot of plastic. And rigging, excellent in some areas, average in others. The ride and performance has always been excellent. The 2002 model is a whole different story. I have been to the factory many times and seen the hardware going into the new boats. The boat has been completely redesigned. The hull and deck are from the same molds, but that is about it. One thing I have noticed about all the responses that have been posted on this thread is no one has posted a complaint or said anything negative about AT’s ride and performance. There have been some comments about racing, but there are two sides to that issue. I think the only thing that will settle this issue, will be to wait until the first couple of 2002 models hit the water. I personally think that when the word gets around, the order time is going to be a bit lengthily. I am not going to see mine until September. I think they have since sold two more. So the line is getting longer.

Indy 04-13-2002 07:11 AM

AC...What was ATs response when they found out you had spider cracks besides fixing their mold?? Was the boat still under warrantee? Did they offer to fix it? Did you ask them?

R Addiction 04-13-2002 07:58 AM

Damn Todd!!! Very well put......seriously.

ROUGHSTUFF 04-13-2002 09:57 AM

One thing Skypirate did forget to mention is that AT now has a LIFETIME warranty on their hulls starting with the 2002's. I have seen mostly 5yrs in the industry, but never LIFETIME that I'm aware of.