who overnights in their boats? >

who overnights in their boats?

Notices

who overnights in their boats?

Old 04-07-2002, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overniting on our boat

EZ & I overnite, overweekend etc all the time. Down here in texas the weather is a bit muggy, and is already 80 so we are so fortunate to have the cruiseair, just pop it in and we're freezin!

Our 35 fountain has a beautiful interior and we just pack what we need, motor over to the boardwalk for an am meal or walk up the street.

I am in the process of making a netting/screen for the hatch and cabin door so that if we should moor out without power we won't get eaten by the wild life!!

I love the fact we save the money on hotels!! and usually we can score a slip for under 20.00. Shower et all included.

MsEZ
Old 04-07-2002, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

got a 370 Sundancer with Caterpillar diesels, Tracking satellite antenna, two DSS receivers, three tvs and a portable 15" flatscreen on a 15' cord to use outside, icemaker, big stereo, ps2, n64, full electronics with autopilot, and a lot of other things that mask the simple "boating experience". We basically live on it in the summers, only to come home to do laundry every now and then.

For a more "spartan" boating experience we have the Formula 311SR1.

The 311 sleeps well, and am planning to add a Mermaid Marine A/C under the sofa cushion (35# and $1,300 for whole deal including reverse cycle heat). This unit will run off a 28# $650 Honda EU1000i mini-generator and will still have enough kick left to run the charger (keeping the stereo and fridge going).

Only thing is to figure out the best way to duct the exhaust from the generator out of the engine compartment. I suppose I should make some sort of exhaust coupler that has a water jacket on it to cool the exhaust and then run it out an above-water thru hull. Figure it can go out thru a small bronze thruhull once I cool the exhaust.

Honda also makes a 2000 watt version that is only 2" fatter and 12# heavier. Also holds more gas and has longer runtime than 1000 watt version. Cost is $1000 vs $650 for the 1000watt.

The water pickup for the A/C, I haven't decided whether to make it work while underway, or just put in a thruhull in the transom to use the unit at rest... I don't want to put a water pickup on the bottom of the hull, but also don't know whether it is okay to tee off of the freshwater pump on the motors. Maybe it would be okay to tee off it if I put in a flow reducer to keep it from dumping too much water to the A/C - any ideas?
Old 04-07-2002, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Used to stay in my 24' Baja alot .

Then upgraded to 40' Formula . Much better !!

Now I got a 39' express cat . MAN , Those little ripples in the water rolling into the tunnel sounds like a freight train going by ! Have to plan ahead and have the transom to the curent .

I spent one night in the formula on the trailer (Well 2 if you count when I fell asleep working on it in the garage !) I put it in the north end of barnegate bay to run down to a party about 45 miles south . About 3 miles down the transom assembly and bearings blew apart ! Limped back to trailer , high tailed it down the high way ,parked in front of house where party was and PARTIED ON !!
Old 04-07-2002, 11:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mcollinstin-get the 2000, the 1000 will not start the AC unit. Don't leave it in the bilge, just put it on the swim platform and let it eat. They are so quiet you won't know it's back there. I have also seen them on the bow/anchor pulpit just a hummin' away . I think you can get the 2000 for about 860 if you shop around-don't forget that the AC will draw about 3 times the running current to start and buy appropriately. I have also seen a boat with the gen set in the dinghy about 10 feet behind the boat , hope no birds land in that puppy-think canary in a coal mine
Old 04-07-2002, 11:50 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Oh, and we overnight all the time-cruisers are made for that stuff
Old 04-08-2002, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

We overnight a lot on the Mississippi River south (and north) of Dubuque- just find a sand bar and light a bonfire. Although a smaller boat, our 242LS has a custom Sunbrella camper that zips into the bimini in minutes and gives ample space.
We plan on having something similar made up for the AT, but the windfairing instead of windshield will make it an interesting project for our canvas guy.
Old 04-08-2002, 09:20 AM
Registered

We Love to stay on our 40' Fountain, It's like sleeping on a big water bed.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:29 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We overnight on ours every weekend. It's plenty comfortable for 2. I installed air conditioning and heat, thats the best way to go.
Can't wait for summer!!!

Old 04-08-2002, 01:21 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

In the two last seasons the wife and I overnighted more than thirty times on our 272. We had it down to an art where it was very enjoyable. With the exception of Miami and Charleston, we always anchor out. Lake Norman still has a couple of nice coves that are very well protected from the main channel and there are not yet any houses.

Nothing like going to bed with a light rain falling on the boat, or waking up to a fog over the water and the fish breaking.

This is the main reason that we are upgrading to a new 36 Outlaw. We like to put in on Friday and come home late Sunday. There is nothing else I have found to be more enjoyable.

Mark
Old 04-08-2002, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

insptech -
I've watched the Mermaid 5000 Btu unit start and run off the 1000 Honda. They Mermaid guy uses a staggered timer that first starts the compressor, then 5 seconds later it starts the freshwater pump and 5 more seconds later it starts the air fan. The little Honda revs up and down thru the ordeal, but then settles into a happy 60% hum (the little Honda inverter gens speed up and down with the load on them).

I do agree that it would be silly to ignore the 2000, since it is only incrementally larger and just a smidge heavier. That way there is plenty of extra.

Still would like to figure out how to keep the booger under the hatch while running it...

Quick Reply: who overnights in their boats?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.