Like Tree1Likes

Where did the 40 Hustler start ?????...

Old 10-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Registered

My Boats: Boatless....

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Steve View Post
Incorrect.... Paul Fiore with the help of Mark Shneff of Activator went out to design a new 40. They started with the 32 hull and actually bolted the rear 8' of another 32 together. Since the front section of the rear 8' was too wide to fasten to the transom of the 32' they slid it up to the wider part of the transom where it would fit and got the step by accident. They threw a couple of outboards on the hull with no deck and went and tested it and were impressed with what they came up with and how well it performed. That in a nut shell is how and where the 40 came from and the beginning of the step hull.
Sorry, but taking (2) 1/2's and throwing in a step doesn't constitute simply stretching the 32!
Old 10-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32storm View Post
Sorry, but taking (2) 1/2's and throwing in a step doesn't constitute simply stretching the 32!
Not what I said, try reading it again.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

looking and comparing the 37 OL vs the 40 Hustler.. they appear rather similar in bottom design.. with the exception of the deck being taller on the Hustler. Anyone ride in both and can give a comparison.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

My Boats: 36' Apache Warrior / 22' Apache Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassman View Post
looking and comparing the 37 OL vs the 40 Hustler.. they appear rather similar in bottom design.. with the exception of the deck being taller on the Hustler. Anyone ride in both and can give a comparison.
I have ridden both and I'd go with OL hands down for both looks and ride quality... the 40' huster I've ridden in multiple times had 3 engines with approx. 600 hp on extension boxes, the boat ran 88 mph. The 37' OL's I've ridden in and driven had between 500 hp and 860 hp, speeds ranging from 75 - 103 mph.

The Huster porpoised bad with props spinning in or out.... We nick-named the boat "the bobber". The Ol's were solid as a rock.

Big cabin in the Husler though!

any questions let me know...
Old 10-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassman View Post
Yes, the orginal 37 OL was a cut down 40 Hustler
Old 10-06-2009, 02:05 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2008 Gunshow

Is the CG ahead of the step or in rear of it?

Most stepped hull have the CG in the middle of the first step (from front of boat on a two stepped boat). Thus, the CG is behind the frontmost step edge.

8ft of 40ft equals 20% of length for the step. then you have the variables of twin or tripples.

I've seen a 40 fiore on st. clair(twins on speedmaster 6's), and it's awesome in its size. I always wondered how it handled.

It sounds like it was "designed" by accident.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:31 AM
Banned

"Designed by accident" or not, the one I rode in had no handling issues that I could see or feel. Maybe in flat water it porpoised, but not in the 3-4s we were in that day.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The 37 OL has nothing to do with the 40 hustler, the bottoms are completely different. The 37 was designed by Mike Fiore, it is not a modified 40 hustler.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalhouse View Post
The 37 OL has nothing to do with the 40 hustler, the bottoms are completely different. The 37 was designed by Mike Fiore, it is not a modified 40 hustler.
The original 37 Mike built was a cut down 40 with the same bottom, not until he developed the quad step did he change the bottom. Ask Mike or just look, pretty simple to see.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Steve View Post
The original 37 Mike built was a cut down 40 with the same bottom, not until he developed the quad step did he change the bottom. Ask Mike or just look, pretty simple to see.
I did ask Mike and Paul, both of which know how the 37 OL was built. The boat is NOT a modified 40 Hustler. Obviously Mike grew up at Hustler, so there were similarities, however the bottom geometry and step design / location is unique to the 37 OL.