Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is a drive with a welded skeg safe? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/218943-drive-welded-skeg-safe.html)

HTRDLNCN 10-21-2009 09:53 PM

Is a drive with a welded skeg safe?

Got a replacement drive from ebay/offshoreonly member and it turns out the entire skeg has been welded on as has the bullet, if your wonering why I would buy this there was no mention of this beforehand.
I remember reading that this is not a safe practice but dont know for sure so trying to get more info.

Waterboy123 10-21-2009 09:58 PM

It's certainly not ideal thats for sure, maybe on a 18ft that does 20-30mph tops, but wouldn't personally run it on anything with power.

HTRDLNCN 10-21-2009 10:07 PM

5000lbs with a 509" at 65mph

HTRDLNCN 10-21-2009 10:09 PM

picture of the welding
http://damncarrera.com/skeg.jpg

TampaBeach 10-21-2009 10:09 PM

Kind of depends, here in FL it is very common to weld parts or entire skegs back on. But it needs to be done correct, if you can't tell the difference it probably good. But as earlier put depends on the application, If I was running twin 700's goin 105+ NO I wouldn't want it, 50mph pleasure sure why not.

OK WTF IS THAT, I would send that piece of chit back were it came from!!!! I would be scared to even install it,

PARADOX 10-21-2009 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN (Post 2977269)
5000lbs with a 509" at 65mph

Just keep an eye on it for stress cracks. It's not a matter of being safe. The worse that will happen is the weld will give and you loose the skeg, and may hit the props. I wouldn't go racing tho..

HTRDLNCN 10-21-2009 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Waterboy123 (Post 2977267)
It's certainly not ideal thats for sure, maybe on a 18ft that does 20-30mph tops, but wouldn't personally run it on anything with power.

Thats what I think as well.
I just hope the person does the right thing now.
In the menatime I am out of boating for another couple weeks.
Probably the last good weeks of the year.
sigh..

HTRDLNCN 10-21-2009 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by PARADOX (Post 2977274)
The worse that will happen is the weld will give and you loose the skeg, and may hit the props. I wouldn't go racing tho..

I have never had it happen but
I am thinking loosing a skeg at 60+ mph would be a bad thing.
:(

Griff 10-21-2009 11:47 PM

Skegs are meant to break off if you hit something. Having a skeg welded on is no big deal.

That weld job and the fact that the entire lower case has been welded on is a different story. That looks like chit. I would be more concerned with the integrity of the lower gear housing than I would be with the skeg. The hydrodynamics have to be terrible with the welds also.

Carguy08 10-22-2009 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 2977331)
Skegs are meant to break off if you hit something. Having a skeg welded on is no big deal.

That weld job and the fact that the entire lower case has been welded on is a different story. That looks like chit. I would be more concerned with the integrity of the lower gear housing than I would be with the skeg. The hydrodynamics have to be terrible with the welds also.

I agree... Unless running 100plus ide be ok with a welded skeg..... That picture doesnt look safe for a boston whaler.

HTRDLNCN 10-22-2009 12:29 AM

Thanks but unless the seller , a member on here , steps up to correct this I dont have enough money for another drive until after the end of the year..

PARADISE ISLAND 10-22-2009 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN (Post 2977345)
Thanks but unless the seller , a member on here , steps up to correct this I dont have enough money for another drive until after the end of the year..

Who welded skeg Helen Keller:bsflag:

JoeD 10-22-2009 07:07 AM

Out the guy that would sell and ship that to you without telling you first.

Smitty 10-22-2009 08:07 AM

I would kindly ask for your money back. If the guys says no-- Out him here.

I would not use that drive at all. Skegs are OK to be welded but I am concerned about the integrity of the gear housing.

My daughter could do a better welding job. That looks like crap !!!

glassdave 10-22-2009 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN (Post 2977271)
picture of the welding

How the hell would they not mentioning that!? Thats a mess, I'd be kinda pissed receiving something with that amount of work done to it having not been disclosed.

The welds on the side of the bullet are a result of freeze damage. Water collects behind the the bearing keeper, if stored tilted up it will freeze and blow that part out. I agree that it is probably usable but its a crap shoot on how long its gonna last. I mean if the owner took that good a care of the out side what do you think it looks like inside? Alphas need to have strict oil change intervals with Merp HP only. Hope you didnt pay to much for it, i bought one exactly like that at a local marina(for the upper) and only paid fifty bucks. Hope the seller steps up and makes it good, i couldnt sleep at night if i pawned that off on someone. Thats a shame

Something else to keep in mind is when welding on cases that high up and on the bullet all internals need to be removed. I'm guessing that rear bearing keeper has never been out.

PARADOX 10-22-2009 09:18 AM

I didn't see the pic when I was talking about the "skeg".. That's not a skeg repair, or a welded skeg. That's an outright.. outdrive abbortion.

DisturbedVelo22 10-22-2009 09:28 AM

I wouldn't put that on a dingy. That is complete amature work, and the skeg I wouldn't like it but you can run a boat without it. I wouldn't do it but you can do it. That gear case is what I would be worried about. Who's to say what it looks like on the inside, how strong it is, if everything is lined up correctly. That guy is an a$$hole for not telling you about that before selling it to you.

Cig35Mistress 10-22-2009 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by PARADISE ISLAND (Post 2977369)
Who welded skeg Helen Keller:bsflag:

Ray and Stevie's Mobile Welding :evilb:

FuelinAround 10-22-2009 09:32 AM

One of mine was welded back on when i broke off the lower tip of it....I repainted the drive and had a full time welder do it and you would never ever kno. Have never had any problems with it. Its all abouthow much time you put into putting it back on.

glassdave 10-22-2009 09:49 AM

By the way was it sent as pictured or was it filled in and covered up?

Wahoo ATV 10-22-2009 09:53 AM

Those are some of the ugliest welds I have seen. Ain't no way I would risk the internal components of the drive or safety of my family on that.

TampaBeach 10-22-2009 09:58 AM

Dude, That should never have been repaired, contact the seller give them the chance to give you a full refund!!!!! If they don't OUT THEM SO NO ONE ELSE GETS EFING TOOK.

I mean seriously that photo could be in the contest for worst broken drives!!!!

Boss460 10-22-2009 10:10 AM

picture of the welding

I don't see a drive in this picture. I see an anchor.

RunninHotRacing163.1 10-22-2009 10:14 AM

what kinda coin did you pay for that on ebay ????

Roger 1 10-22-2009 10:25 AM

It's junk. Get your money back.

wfo1 10-22-2009 10:34 AM

I'd be whipping someone's ass for that POS. I have welded skegs many times, no big deal. That on the other hand...

US1 Fountain 10-22-2009 10:49 AM

The welded on skeg is really not as much of an issue as the rest of the welds. Not cosmetically speaking, but of distortion, sealing, prop shaft preload and gear mesh setup. That looks like a cobble job repair to save a few bucks. And more bucks might have been saved by not having it resetup. I'd guess it was involved with a big underwater hit and chit went south. Broken skeg, lost/damaged carrier, carrier nut, prop shaft, prop......
Get your money back.

joefitness123 10-22-2009 11:18 AM

Dude, Get your bucks back...ASAP...I wouldn't run that thing on my Flats boat...

HTRDLNCN 10-22-2009 11:41 AM

I was not planning on running it .
Yes I was upset when I got it.
As for details I am gonna wait till the seller gets back to me.
I do appreciate all the replies.

Wobble 10-22-2009 01:00 PM

The other reason they crack around the gear housing is corrosion, either way that lower housing is worth nothing especially when you can put a complete lower half with a three year warranty for around a thousand (made in china)

http://www.sterndrive.cc/Merchant2/m...ravoSterndrive

Not a fan of import stuff but if you are on a tight budget this is a good choice

outriggers 10-22-2009 03:36 PM

If he get's back to you I wouldn't expect much. Anybody that somehow doesn't mention that mess, isn't going to be easy. I would be contesting the charge ASAP. Doug

KNOT-RIGHT 10-22-2009 06:19 PM

picture of the welding

Dude WTF? Is this serious? My 15 year old daughter could
stick weld on DC negative better then that.
Send it back bro. The fact that he did not disclose only justifies slapping him upside the head with it.

Good luck bro!

penbroke 10-22-2009 09:30 PM

It's junk.

I hope the seller makes good for you...

Frank

HTRDLNCN 10-22-2009 10:09 PM

from reading his dealings on here and his perfect feedback on ebay I am thinking he will do the right thing.

phragle 10-22-2009 10:37 PM

if it was ebay..did you use paypal?? ..file a paypal claim NOW!!

fountain4play 10-22-2009 11:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Did the guy have one of these for sale to? Looks like some of his handywork....

I can't imagine anyone selling a drive in the condition...what a POS....

Rockfish71 10-23-2009 09:21 AM

It's Junk.... Get all your money back shipping too.

Tazz 10-23-2009 09:34 AM

This has to be a joke...there is no way someone could have sold you that.

Steve 1 10-23-2009 09:42 AM

Must have fell off the trailer and on the road.

blue thunder 10-23-2009 11:42 AM

A skeg needs to be tig welded on. Mig won't hold. There is no danger though if it does break. I broke one on a crab pot this summer in a poker run at about 85mph. The crab pot was a rude left turn but the 100 mile voyage home with no skeg was a breeze. Then I had a new skeg mig welded on. It broke off in rough water, dog eared my prop and broke an upper. Not good. A friend tig welded it back on now and it is rock solid. The moral the story. Don't run that pos, you will regret it.