Notices

Offshore racing on CBS

Old 11-13-2009, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Okay......... take a chill.

The truth is that the product SBI would have given to CBS had no true racing competition for the viewer, a confusing mess of classes, and very limited helicopter and ground camera POV's.

The racer stories are meager and the commentator is an ex pro wrestler with no true racing or technical experience. ( a nice guy who has the skills to do the "table setting' but can't carve the meat.)

Bottom line:...... You should thank God that the shows didn't air, because the end product did not have the production values required to make a proper TV show and attract viewer interest. Simply sticking a handful of boats on the tube does NOT create a good paradigm for the sport.

Rule One of good TV:...Whenever possible try not to poop in public.

T2x
Point well taken.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smiklos@sunprint
In a word no. Motocross is much easier to explain and a MX bike is much more attainable to the average household. The manufactures are marketing savvy and engineering driven. The racers at the top can make a very good living rather then having to spend several very good livings.
Steve
I can buy and race a "class #4" bracket boat at all the OPA events for less than racing the AMA Amateur circuit in 250B.

Dammm 4-Strokes
Old 11-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 2 Trick Rick
I can buy and race a "class #4" bracket boat at all the OPA events for less than racing the AMA Amateur circuit in 250B.

Dammm 4-Strokes
really my brother use to race the amateur 250 amd pro 250 for Team Bettencourts ,with my brother inlaw and his brother who owns the dealerships. back in the 80s and 90s.now there in the over the hill classes.now. but I never though it was much . also I raced trucks street mod 4x4 at events fees were cheap for ice racing/ mud racing/sandracing/truck pulling through the years. it was cheaper than boat racing when I raced in 02 that was a lot ,but OPA I guess is cheaper now then apba mike a was then, john and smitty has done a great job with it. I have only seen one guy get pushed out and the same happened in sbi this year. so I hope he goes back to opa and heard Dan d is building a new skater himmm. but you need p class but not 6 sc cat classes and a bunch of sv classes which needs to be cut back by half. and stop changing chit every year. put SUPER CAT as a turbine/ gas blower class, and combine the 850 and 750 together let the 750 class have more rpm to make it even if thats what it takes any drives too.

Last edited by AIR TIME; 11-14-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Offshore

It is very hard to put an offshore racing spec circuit together. Dealing with most of the racers is like herding cats.
Steve
Old 11-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by smiklos@sunprint
Dealing with most of the racers is like herding cats.
Steve
That might be your problem. the cats who want to be lions. when you have 12 boats show up to rac in 15 classes, you dont have a race, you have a parade. Unless you have Regis MCing the parade on thanksgiving morning... the parade won't be on tv.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:30 AM
Registered

Lightbulb Experienced Reliable Observations....

Originally Posted by T2x
Okay......... take a chill.

The truth is that the product SBI would have given to CBS had no true racing competition for the viewer, a confusing mess of classes, and very limited helicopter and ground camera POV's.

Bottom line:...... You should thank God that the shows didn't air, because the end product did not have the production values required to make a proper TV show and attract viewer interest.

Simply sticking a handful of boats on the tube does NOT create a good paradigm for the sport.

Rule One of good TV:...Whenever possible try not to poop in public.

T2x
Keep the facts rolling out here... We just might have a chance to make a difference if the truth gets out!

Coach
Old 11-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Registered

Kathy Lee would be easier on the eyes!
Old 11-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
That might be your problem. the cats who want to be lions. when you have 12 boats show up to rac in 15 classes, you dont have a race, you have a parade. Unless you have Regis MCing the parade on thanksgiving morning... the parade won't be on tv.
Agreed. I have been involved with putting it on TV as a spec class and that was tuff to explain. What we have today would be much harder.
Steve
Old 12-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I still think the spec class racing idea worked. Unfortunately, the spec engine builder began controlling the spec classes. Then the Spec engine manufacturer tried to control the series. When racers rebelled, the engine manufacturer started its own new series. Offshore racing went downhill from there, (no pun intended). As long as one marine engine manufacturer controls the sport, it will stay right where it is.