Like Tree0Likes

12 Volt Airconditioning

Old 11-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 33 Active Thunder

Thanks for the replys, I know there are several manufacturers who market a 12 volt unit. I'm guessing by the response they aren't to popular or very likely to perform very well. I just thought that someone may of had some real experience, either positive or negative. I'm not against the Honda generator idea, it might make more sense. Steve Mr. Bravo III, I live less than a mile from Brookfield Central.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2006 Formula 292 FasTech / 2007 Ranger Reata 190VS

I suggest getting portable A/C that runs on shorepower or a generator. We sleep on our boat a lot over the summer at marinas and got a 9000 btu/hr unit made by AMCOR (KF9000E). It has a small footprint and a neat automatic draining feature for the condensate. The flexible duct that blows out the hot air also has a small tube that mists out the condensate, so no need to drain.

I can tell you on the hottest, humid nights this thing will keep our small 292 cabin in the 60's! We just put up the full top (see pic), put the A/C in the step-down at the cabin entrance and blow it right in the cabin. Even has a remote control so you can adjust it without getting up. It is a bit heavy at around 50lbs, but has a handle and is pretty easy to get around. Overall I am very satisfied with it. We don't have a generator, so if camping off the beach it is back to roughing it with only a fan.
Attached Thumbnails
12 Volt Airconditioning-boat3.jpg  
Old 11-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Registered

My Boats: Fountain 38 EC 2008

There is and marine air Company that makes a 5,000 btu this can dehumidify very well

The system uses an inverter to supply the power with 2 batteries that is good for 4 to 6 hrs of run time before you need to plug into someone to recharge or shore power
Old 11-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Registered

My Boats: Boatless

Try this. I've put them into a couple of performance boats. Work pretty well.

http://www.mmair.com/marine_division...200_btu_system
Old 11-25-2009, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 33 Active Thunder

If going with a 110 volt unit, what would be the recommended BTU requirement for a 35' boat, then I'ld also gain the ability to get heat from the unit. Steve
Old 11-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Registered

My Boats: 38 Scarab AVS

Very cool! I know I've seen you out on the Mississippi before, just need to pull over and have a beer! I don't get out there much now that my 38' is down at LOTO, but hoping to do so more next summer. Cool set-up w/ the A/C!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mulafastech View Post
I suggest getting portable A/C that runs on shorepower or a generator. We sleep on our boat a lot over the summer at marinas and got a 9000 btu/hr unit made by AMCOR (KF9000E). It has a small footprint and a neat automatic draining feature for the condensate. The flexible duct that blows out the hot air also has a small tube that mists out the condensate, so no need to drain.

I can tell you on the hottest, humid nights this thing will keep our small 292 cabin in the 60's! We just put up the full top (see pic), put the A/C in the step-down at the cabin entrance and blow it right in the cabin. Even has a remote control so you can adjust it without getting up. It is a bit heavy at around 50lbs, but has a handle and is pretty easy to get around. Overall I am very satisfied with it. We don't have a generator, so if camping off the beach it is back to roughing it with only a fan.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2006 Formula 292 FasTech / 2007 Ranger Reata 190VS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Minded View Post
Very cool! I know I've seen you out on the Mississippi before, just need to pull over and have a beer! I don't get out there much now that my 38' is down at LOTO, but hoping to do so more next summer. Cool set-up w/ the A/C!
Definitely! Let's hope the river cooperates next year. We are usually at 521 or Hat.
Dave
Old 11-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Registered

My Boats: Fountain 42 Lightning - 700sci / #6 dry sump

You need a high dollar inverter and a separate bank of very high quality batteries to make it work throughout the day. You are almost better off buying a genset or a Honda.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Registered

My Boats: Fountain 38 EC 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by aTX427 View Post
You need a high dollar inverter and a separate bank of very high quality batteries to make it work throughout the day. You are almost better off buying a genset or a Honda.
The kit comes complete with the inverter

They have done a few already with other boat maufactors that have worked it is only 5000 btu we only need 4 to 6 hrs coolig during the day
Old 11-29-2009, 08:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: Know Better ,cause I work on them...

From the sounds of it Steve, he wants to able to run the ac unit while beached somewhere. DC BREEZE is a nice unit but its minimal while down here in the south. I install a dcbreez in a 28 pantera. It does need air around the unit to work. My install was in the nose of the boat. Had to install a blower just to move air. Used 3 oddesy batteries( top of the line ) to supply power.Just from what the owner has told me, you get maybe 3 hours max before it starts loosing it cooling. And to top it all off you need a high output alt about a 120 amp output. investigate before you but 509 SC.. Good luck