Like Tree0Likes

Block Freezing ?

Old 12-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Registered

My Boats: 91 Scarab 21' Excel/1999 Proline 200 sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSmith View Post
You'll be just fine not doing a thing. 24 for 24 before you need to start getting worried.
Thats what i always thought but just want to be safe.I already have to rebuild it againi dont want to replace the block too well maybe that would be a good thing. 572 here I come
Old 12-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BY U BOY View Post
Thats what i always thought but just want to be safe.I already have to rebuild it againi dont want to replace the block too well maybe that would be a good thing. 572 here I come
Too bad Walter can't help you out on an engine. He totally flaked out on me.
My motors were supposed to be delivered 3 months ago.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:34 PM

My Boats: Cafe Racer

This helped me with my "always waiting to the last minute winterizing and praying I get it done in time" procrastination.

I use a bilge heater designed for engine compartments on my Chris Craft cruiser while it is on the lift during the winter. I live in Maryland & we get our fair share of below 32 degree weather. It has not failed me since I bought it and that was 3 years ago. This way I can use the boat ocassionally during the winter months. I believe it's made by BoatSafe.

The boat has twin inboards and the heater works great. It comes on when it gets down around 42 degrees & goes off above that. I plug it into an extention cord that has a lighted plug end. That way, I can visually check to see if it has power or not by looking out the house window.

It really was a worthwhile buy for me. It seems I am always rushing at the last minute trying to beat out Old Man Winter. Just have to get one more day out in the boat. LOL. (P.S. I keep a small back up generator around just in case the electricity goes out.)

Now with my Cig it's a different story. I winterize everything. But I also have a bilge heater for it also. Just don't want to take any chances with my Cig. I didn't winterize my first boat early enough into the winter season 20 years ago & I paid the price. That was a costly mistake that I would rather not ever repeat.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSmith View Post
Too bad Walter can't help you out on an engine. He totally flaked out on me.
My motors were supposed to be delivered 3 months ago.
yeah,that was chitty. He told me it was a done deal. Sorry about that.I dont know what happened on that deal. I was looking forward to that project.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur27 View Post
This helped me with my "always waiting to the last minute winterizing and praying I get it done in time" procrastination.

I use a bilge heater designed for engine compartments on my Chris Craft cruiser while it is on the lift during the winter. I live in Maryland & we get our fair share of below 32 degree weather. It has not failed me since I bought it and that was 3 years ago. This way I can use the boat ocassionally during the winter months. I believe it's made by BoatSafe.

The boat has twin inboards and the heater works great. It comes on when it gets down around 42 degrees & goes off above that. I plug it into an extention cord that has a lighted plug end. That way, I can visually check to see if it has power or not by looking out the house window.

It really was a worthwhile buy for me. It seems I am always rushing at the last minute trying to beat out Old Man Winter. Just have to get one more day out in the boat. LOL. (P.S. I keep a small back up generator around just in case the electricity goes out.)

Now with my Cig it's a different story. I winterize everything. But I also have a bilge heater for it also. Just don't want to take any chances with my Cig. I didn't winterize my first boat early enough into the winter season 20 years ago & I paid the price. That was a costly mistake that I would rather not ever repeat.
I usually dont wait this long but I smoked the engine at the end of the season and had plans to pull it but have put it off too long. It should have been pulled and apart by now but with the baby on the way and work slow i have other things to worry about (until tonite)