Notices

Opinion on a black boat

Old 12-11-2009, 01:10 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a chance! Not worth all the hassle of dealing with a scalding hot bow. So many times you have to jump up there and I couldnt imagine how hot it would be thru swimtrunks or if you jumped on there with bare feet....NO THANKS!!
Old 12-11-2009, 04:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a all black Skater at Cumberland poker run with a red interior this year. It looked bad as hell.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:59 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Ask the Sunsation guys. They still have that black 43 that they are trying to sell.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:05 AM
Registered

My next boat will be black, can't get a badder looker boat IMO...
does sound like the deck walking will be an issue, but that's what the crew's for
Old 12-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Registered

Black is the best looking color until it gets wet, then it just looks dirty. I had a P29 Scarab that had about an 8 inch wide stripe on the bow that was black and you couldn't even touch it when the sun was up. Yes a black boat looks cool but thats it everything else sucks about it and you have less of a chance to sell it. Donzi built a black boat for the stupid Miami Vice movie and had to paint it to sell it.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No for 2 reasons. First, the gel gets so hot, it weakens, expands and buckles leaving a permanently cracked surface. All dark colors will do this but black is the worst. Second, it oxidises so bad, you can't keep it black and shiney without daily waxing.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Registered

Not a chance I'd ever think about buying a black boat, GREAT deal or not. Looks great on a trailer IF it's always been stored indoors, that's the only plus side to owning one.
Insane how bad a black boat can look after a hour on the water not to mention the heat factor and problems associated with that.

Last edited by ZP'd; 12-11-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 852 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
No for 2 reasons. First, the gel gets so hot, it weakens, expands and buckles leaving a permanently cracked surface. All dark colors will do this but black is the worst. Second, it oxidises so bad, you can't keep it black and shiney without daily waxing.
Bingo...our local fiberglass repair shop said the same exact thing, the sun and temp bakes the heck out of the gel and shortens its life span. I had some graphics on my 10 year old PowerPlay and the black areas on the deck were cracked. No damage beneath but ONLY those black areas were damaged.

Other than that it's too hot, ok for the hullsides but I'd never buy an all black one.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Might want to check this thread:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ack-hulls.html

The most telling quote I think would be from the kingpin himself:

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
When I was at Cigarette, we did sun-generated temperature extremes on various colored gelcoats in the August Florida sun. Holy chit! Black and dark blue, 193F. White, 123. Other colors, logically in between. Plastic elastic limit on polyester resin (std laminate) 146 degrees. Theoretically, your black boat is about half as strong at noon as it is in the evening. Food for thought.....
Old 12-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 616 Likes on 180 Posts

Even though black boats look great in person they don't show as well on photos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.