Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Looking for preivious owner of the 92 baja outlaw that was at lake cumberland marine (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/221334-looking-preivious-owner-92-baja-outlaw-lake-cumberland-marine.html)

bob_t 12-15-2009 06:43 PM

Not the first time I heard of this from LCM. :rolleyes: I was interested in a 35 Fountain they had a couple of years ago. The title was about 2 previous owners behind ... I just walked away. I wish you the best of luck ... The reality of the situation is, depending on the individual state laws, and, although you have a "bill of sale", you may not legally own the boat. The title holder is the "legal owner" in many situations, even if you have a "bill of sale" (which could constitute fraud, grand theft, theft by deception, just to name a few, depending on the state, if the entity that sold you the boat doesn't have power of attorney to the title, or is not the title holder). Remember National Marine?

I had problems getting a title to one boat that I bought. I had a notarized bill of sale, on the marine dealer's letterhead, signed by the owner of the dealership. Dealer said I would get the title in the mail within 30 days; even the contract that was on the back of their letterhead said that, signed by the dealership owner. When it didn't show up in 60 days, and they only gave me lame excuses, I started checking it out myself. I was told by DMV, Dept of Natural Resources boat titling division, Department of Fish and Wildlife, local police, and a host of government agencies "good luck, we suggest you hire an attorney". I eventually got my title but nearly went crazy in the process. NEVER AGAIN ... If they don't have a clear title in hand (and in THEIR name), I'm not interested, there are some legitimate deals out there .... and lots that aren't!

RaggedEdge 12-15-2009 07:10 PM

All I can say is get on them hard and stick to it. I went thru their BS for a year and a half to get the paper work straight on a trailer they sold new back about 4 years ago. More promises than I can remember. I finally called the Kentucky Dept. of Motor Vehicles, got to a gal with a sympathetic ear that guaranteed me she would set their azz straight, and had a call from LCM a day later with a promise to get it to me. It did show up. From what I gathered from the gal at the Kentucky DMV I was not the first to call about LCM.

Like bob t noted, my paperwork was two deals back as well. These guys have a track record of this kind of chit. I didn't even buy the boat and trailer from and still got caught up in their chit. Boat was documented and fine, trailer was fine except they had just kinda' forgot about doing the paper work for the first owner.

Get them to provide you with contact info for the previous owner and contact him yourself and try to get the real story here.

kstaeb 12-15-2009 08:43 PM

White Baja

I was a previous owner of your boat I think. I sold it to buddy who did all the work to it and he traded it to the guy in PA.
for an active thunder. I'll try to get a number for you. Kurt.

pinkpanther 12-15-2009 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by kstaeb (Post 3006556)
I was a previous owner of your boat I think. I sold it to buddy who did all the work to it and he traded it to the guy in PA.

Thanks alot. I just cant afford to hire an attory yet. I paid cash for the boat

Wildman_grafix 12-15-2009 10:39 PM

Not hard to understand why they went BR.

phragle 12-15-2009 11:09 PM

get it taken care of before someone elses repo man shows up at your door... possession is 9/10ths of the law... possession of the title that is.

Audiofn 12-16-2009 12:02 AM

What a mess. There have been a number of these stories about this place over the years. Sad that they treat people like that.

c_deezy 12-16-2009 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by pinkpanther (Post 3006609)
Thanks alot. I just cant afford to hire an attory yet. I paid cash for the boat

Originally Posted by kstaeb (Post 3006556)

Wow, what a stroke of luck! Hope it all works out.

bajaholic 12-16-2009 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by phragle (Post 3006621)
get it taken care of before someone elses repo man shows up at your door... possession is 9/10ths of the law... possession of the title that is.

Could not resist...

The repo man is the final 1/10 of the 9/10's possession theory....

And UNLESS you have it titled in your name, they can take it, just kindly ask you to move out of the way....

BUT this is truly putting the cart ahead of the horse... If it was me, I would ask the dealership to kindly get you all the past owner info, names, add, t# and above all, the copy of the sellers agreement. If they cannot get you that info immediately, it would be time to get the state involved, no matter what dealer you are working with!

Gary864 12-16-2009 01:28 PM

If you have the USCG Doc. Number how easy it it to change Owner names? Sorry to High Jack the thread. Is there any place / Company that does this work?