sneak peak/ fastest 42 tiger engine >

sneak peak/ fastest 42 tiger engine

Notices

sneak peak/ fastest 42 tiger engine

Old 01-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
dont get me wrong. I like the engines, they look good, I like the polished PSI blowers, I like that your using the big whipple intercoolers. If I was going to use a blower instead of a turbo they are the ones I would do. with a quad whipple next... actually we want to do a quad psi if anyone wants some big power from a blower engine...
so I'm not saying anything bad about the guy who owns the boat, im not saying anything about the engine builder, I'm not saying anything about the looks of the engine.... i'm not even saying that someone cant make an engine make 1500 hp on 93 octane (for a short amount of time).... but to say over 1500 on a soft pump gas tune is just stupid.

now to clarify... I'm not saying voodoo is stupid... he may have put that because of someone lying to him and telling him that, someone my be fudgeing there dyno to show what ever number you want to see. but in reality. in a big pleasure boat that is going to be used under normal conditions that engine that he explained on the first page, although cool looking with good parts, still cannot do that much hp....

I like people to try different things so I hope you make alot of hp with it.... you can probably be a realistic 1200-1300 hp with it which is alot more then 99.9 percent of the people in the offshore boating world really have. but dont waste your time and money trying to get 1500 true hp out of it or you will blow it up...

another question.... what is the fastest 42 tiger? i know I have ran next to one that was running 120 mph...
and we have a non stepped 42 tiger at our shop were building engines for. anyone have any idea what it should run with 900 hp??
A quad PSI? That would snap the front of the crank off after the first pull. At 2000hp on gasoline, dual 7.5 liter superchargers at 25psi would take well over 600hp to turn, not ideal. PSI's are only good for peak hp, they actually don't do very well with low to mid range torque and have down right awful distribution. Put 8 air fuels in there, even with the Indy intake, and you'll see well over 3 af's off. Thats not a problem if its consistent, but its boost, rpm, cam variable. You can help it with EFI port injection, but most have to do it with discharge plate wedges and adapters. Because if you do it with just fuel, you give up power, because your not only getting the wrong amount of fuel, but your not getting the proper amount of air either, thus low cylinder pressure, which sacrifices HP.

Were building a new race supercharger that is adaptable to marine that at 1600hp, 18psi, will take 150 less hp than a PSI all decked out, race version and 200 less than the gas/marine version. 100% new rotor profile, all new technology.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Voodoo
I am really glad to see quite a few people interested in this thread, no harm done or taking this is fun, i would like to repeat myself by saying "shooting for 1500 on 93" didnt say for sure, i will have a race gas tune also, another fact, just because this engine looks like something you have or may have seen, i doubt its whats for sale among most of the "marine engine builders" just a few twist, maybe if it makes a lil power i could sell some build sheets for gas money?? no one had any objections or comments to me running on 93 with methanol injection, i guess some people may think race fuel would cause less detonation than methanol? So would it be a breakthrough to make 1500 hp on 93 no mater how much methanol i inject along withit? JUST A QUESTION????? how many members here build there own motors excluding marine dealers or repair services? I am willing to bet the guys being a lil negative could'nt put there own engines together to save there life, buts thats ok, i'm scared of things i dont know anything about too...haha, i know for a fact Shawn Davis & myself do, we both run promod, yep not boating, but having to build and go through 75,000 engines after every race and learning how to keep an engine happy and efficient is no different, just different application and tune up to follow, just my 2cents LOL maybe i will have to put these straigt into a cat and test against the big boys on OSO! racing for dinner sounds fun! thanks Doug
116 octane vs. 93 octane and methanol injection are vastly different. You can make far more power on 116 then you can on 93 and methanol. Methanol can work, but its certainly tricky because methanol has a completly different burn time and air fuel. Its also extremely cold during combustion so it will actually cool combustion, which loses power. There's a difference between preventing detonation and cooling combustion. If you cool combustion, you'll typically lose power. So meth injection requires different AF, timing, etc. and with carb motors, thats a bit more risky because if you run out of meth, the motors will typically kill themselves faster than you can lift. If you leave the setup as is, so its safe on 93, and you turn on the meth, you'll lose power, not gain for these very reasons.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=SHAWN DAVIS;3014020]
Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
Post some pics of your 40 Motion!!![/QUO
I just stuck some on the photo page,sorry not very computer savvy.
As always, beautiful boat!
Old 01-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GATORONE
Fast enough

Pump gas and trannies with plenty left
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tSXj...x=0&playnext=1

171 standing mile shootout
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3svuH...868DE&index=15
Never saw the video from LOTO, awesome!
Old 01-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SHAWN DAVIS
Going to dyno probably first of January, in the boat soon after, Still waiting on the second blower from Psi
GOOD LUCK, THEY TAKE FOREVER
Old 01-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
A quad PSI? That would snap the front of the crank off after the first pull. At 2000hp on gasoline, dual 7.5 liter superchargers at 25psi would take well over 600hp to turn, not ideal. PSI's are only good for peak hp, they actually don't do very well with low to mid range torque and have down right awful distribution. Put 8 air fuels in there, even with the Indy intake, and you'll see well over 3 af's off. Thats not a problem if its consistent, but its boost, rpm, cam variable. You can help it with EFI port injection, but most have to do it with discharge plate wedges and adapters. Because if you do it with just fuel, you give up power, because your not only getting the wrong amount of fuel, but your not getting the proper amount of air either, thus low cylinder pressure, which sacrifices HP.

Were building a new race supercharger that is adaptable to marine that at 1600hp, 18psi, will take 150 less hp than a PSI all decked out, race version and 200 less than the gas/marine version. 100% new rotor profile, all new technology.
WOW. BILL, TRY THESE OUT FIRST, BEFORE I ORDER A SET. LOL
Old 01-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pbam22
yes
Cool guys we pitted next to them a few times drag racing,top of the line team.I had heard he had gotten interested in powerboats, But why a straight bottom

He needs a 388 or 40.

Somebody needs to be taking picks of the project!!

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Dustin, do you think the r980's would be better than the psi's , i know the r980 is bigger, what are your thought as far as HP. thanks
Old 01-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 2,970 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat

another question.... what is the fastest 42 tiger? i know I have ran next to one that was running 120 mph...
and we have a non stepped 42 tiger at our shop were building engines for. anyone have any idea what it should run with 900 hp??
I assume the 42 you were running next to at 120 was stepped?

You should see upper 90's in a straight tiger, number 6's, turning the props in with Twin 900's
Old 01-05-2010, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say 1250-1300hp is about all you can get on 93 octane on an honest dyno. The PSI will work better if you have the carbs side by side and block off as much of the rotors from air leakage as possible. To get the PSI to work its best, most make a billet plate that similuates the rotor housing continuing forward and only leave about 1" of rotor exposed. Otherwise you get a lot of leaking as the 300deg of helix in the rotor has its compression sequence open to barometric pressure on top.

Methanol injection has to be properly placed on a screw compressor, it does not work like a roots, which just sweeps air from top to bottom. Screw's move the air axially through the housing, then compress as it gets discharged. Methanol will evaporate before the highest point of compression, thus negating the biggest temp drop. The closer you can get to the compression phase, the better cooling/results you'll get.
I would say 1250-1300hp is about all you can get on 93 octane on an honest dyno ?

Are you 100% sure on that Dustin ?

A very good friend of mine (B Zastrow) on the chain and on the board here has a set of 1600 HP BBC 598s & 1671s carbed with dyno sheets built and dynoed at ateco in waukegan, il. There are pictures, posters, magazine articles on the shop walls to prove it .

Last edited by fountainfan42; 01-05-2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Motor picture

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.